Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDown Sleeping Bag OptionsDown Sleeping Bag Options
Previous

Next
New Post
7/6/2019 7:19 AM

Time to replace my old Slick Bag and after lots of thought am going to go with a down bag. Have done some research, but would appreciate some additional input as to different brands to check out. I like a bag that is generously cut and want 800 fill or better. Thoughts? Thanks.

PS

I'm thinking there is an older thread on this subject, but I am unable to find it.

New Post
7/6/2019 11:52 AM

Western Mountaineering

I switched to quilts some time ago, but I've owned four WM bags (along with a host of others) and I really wouldn't consider anything else.

New Post
7/6/2019 12:03 PM

41magfan wrote:
Western Mountaineering

I switched to quilts some time ago, but I've owned four WM bags (along with a host of others) and I really wouldn't consider anything else.
Thanks 41mag. Quilts are definitely on my list as well. Why the switch? Are they adequate for single digit temps? Any changes required for the sleeping pad if one goes quilts? Other quilt info?

New Post
7/6/2019 1:02 PM

Even though my "sleeping in the dirt" only takes place in the Fall/Winter months, I'm a very warm sleeper after walking all day and in times past I ended up using the bag like a quilt more times than not. I changed nothing in regards to my ground pad and I never even use the attachment system. However, I have always ordered my quilts in a "Wide" width which mitigates drafts nicely.

I'm reasonably confident I could make a properly rated quilt work in single-digits. I say that because I once spent the night under a tarp at about 9 deg F in a 25 deg WM bag wearing nothing but my skivvies, socks and a short sleeve merino t-shirt. I did hedge my bet that night by using a Sea to Summit bag liner though.

I used to own a Katabatic Gear quilt, which is the pinnacle of down quilt design and quality IMO. But, my backpacking adventures have dwindled in recent years so I've switched to a Enlightened Equipment synthetic quilt utilizing Climashield insulation. Additionally, I just as often might use a Big Agnes UL tent instead of a tarp these days which mitigates a quilt's minor shortcomings.

If you're contemplating a quilt, I might suggest you err on the side of longer and wider than you would normally. The added weight and cost involved would be minor in comparison to the margin of comfort it might provide should conditions force you have to push the temp ratings.

New Post
7/7/2019 7:53 AM

800 fill for sure.  600 fill offers not much weight savings over a good climashield bag.  I've used quilts a bunch in a hammock and a little bit on the ground.  My personal preference is a bag below 20F on the ground (lower in a hammock) I have trouble keeping it all tucked to keep drafts out.  I don't think quilts save enough weight to matter unless it is part of a "system", IE the quilt is integrated into your clothing to sleep.  I have two hooded vests , a Kifaru synthetic and a Golite with omni tape on the collar to attatch a JRB down hood

New Post
7/7/2019 6:00 PM

41mag and Take-a-knee: Appreciate you sharing your suggestions based on your experiences.

New Post
7/7/2019 11:02 PM

Western Mountaineering, just find your fit. Conservative temp rating, accurate weight rating.

New Post
7/8/2019 6:59 AM

CCH wrote:
Western Mountaineering, just find your fit. Conservative temp rating, accurate weight rating.

In looking at WM bags it seems to me the Badger is one of their roomiest. Am I missing any others?

New Post
7/8/2019 8:10 AM

IIRC, the Badger and the Kodiak have the widest width (by an inch or two) in a mummy style bag.

New Post
7/8/2019 11:31 AM

I use the WM Alpinlite bag for my shoulder season sleeping. I've tried quilts but they haven't worked for me. I find the room in the Alpinlite to be just right and it beats shivering. I also have a WM Mitylite for summer use and I think this fall I'm going to pair it with a light synthetic quilt overtop - something like a HPG serape would work well - and see what I can do to push that bag below freezing.

New Post
7/8/2019 5:12 PM

Another bag to consider, esp if you don't want a skinny footbox, is a Feathered Friends Rock Wren.  I have both the standard and the Winter.  It has a drawstring foot and zippers for your arms so you can wear it.  Its about 6-8oz heavier than a true mummy.  I've slept down in the the teens in my Winter Wren and had to vent.  IIRC, it has a 2oz overstuff.

New Post
7/8/2019 8:00 PM

ChrisF wrote:
I use the WM Alpinlite bag for my shoulder season sleeping. I've tried quilts but they haven't worked for me. I find the room in the Alpinlite to be just right and it beats shivering. I also have a WM Mitylite for summer use and I think this fall I'm going to pair it with a light synthetic quilt overtop - something like a HPG serape would work well - and see what I can do to push that bag below freezing.

Good info. Thanks.

New Post
7/9/2019 4:25 PM

I had a Badger, and loved it. Found it actually a bit too roomy for me as it was a long, and moved into an Alpinlite which saves me a few ounces and some space. Have not tested the temp rating yet, but expect it will be a legit 20 degree bag and I can extend that with layers in cooler weather. The Badger has a more durable shell and is wider. I find the Alpinlite plenty wide.

New Post
7/11/2019 5:28 PM

I have the Nemo Kayu 15 degree bag that I'm really liking. I debated on going the quilt route since I hardly ever zip a sleeping bag all the way up or use the hood. I like the thought of being able to "batten down the hatches" and use the hood if need be, so I went the trusty sleeping bag route again. The weight for the long version is 1lb 15 ounces. Which is pretty dang good considering how roomy the Nemo sleeping bags are. It compresses very small since it's filled with 800 fill (hydrophobic) down and fits in a 812 stuff sack with room to spare.

I recommend this bag.

New Post
7/11/2019 6:21 PM

CCH wrote:

I had a Badger, and loved it. Found it actually a bit too roomy for me as it was a long, and moved into an Alpinlite which saves me a few ounces and some space. Have not tested the temp rating yet, but expect it will be a legit 20 degree bag and I can extend that with layers in cooler weather. The Badger has a more durable shell and is wider. I find the Alpinlite plenty wide.

Curious what your dimensions are, CCH?

New Post
7/11/2019 6:24 PM

kevinmcdowell wrote:

I have the Nemo Kayu 15 degree bag that I'm really liking. I debated on going the quilt route since I hardly ever zip a sleeping bag all the way up or use the hood. I like the thought of being able to "batten down the hatches" and use the hood if need be, so I went the trusty sleeping bag route again. The weight for the long version is 1lb 15 ounces. Which is pretty dang good considering how roomy the Nemo sleeping bags are. It compresses very small since it's filled with 800 fill (hydrophobic) down and fits in a 812 stuff sack with room to spare.

I recommend this bag.

Looks like a top notch bag, Kevin. Same question I just asked CCH...curious as to your height and weight in order to reference the bag to my size.

Thanks.

New Post
7/14/2019 6:42 PM

In continuing my research I've run across discussions regarding the fill power of down. Some of what I've read says anything above 800-850 is overkill and not needed.
Comments or experience on this...anyone?

New Post
7/14/2019 7:36 PM

kevhans wrote:
In continuing my research I've run across discussions regarding the fill power of down. Some of what I've read says anything above 800-850 is overkill and not needed.

Personally speaking, I don't think it's a matter of overkill per se, I simply don't believe the higher ratings are legit. I'm old enough to remember when 550 was the gold standard and while I can certainly tell some difference between the older down products and the newer 850 rated stuff, I'm a bit cynical about some of the power ratings I see published and I certainly wouldn't spend any extra for it.

New Post
7/14/2019 7:41 PM

41magfan wrote:
Personally speaking, I don't think it's a matter of overkill per se, I simply don't believe the higher ratings are legit. I'm old enough to remember when 550 was the gold standard and while I can certainly tell some difference between the older down products and the newer 850 rated stuff, I'm a bit cynical about some of the power ratings I see published and I certainly wouldn't spend any extra for it.

Pretty much what I dug up in my research.

New Post
7/14/2019 10:46 PM

kevhans wrote:

Years ago Jack's R' Better sold a 25F rated quilt (800 fill) and offered 900 fill as an option for a while (they stopped as it became unavailable or too pricey, don't remember which) IIRC, it saved an ounce in that quilt.  If you needed a  -20 bag for K2, it might actually matter, otherwise, its probably just gram weenie bragging rights

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDown Sleeping Bag OptionsDown Sleeping Bag Options