Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDown Sleeping Bag OptionsDown Sleeping Bag Options
Previous

Next
New Post
7/15/2019 11:46 AM

I am 6'2" and 193 lbs. Wider back and a narrower waist. I wear a size 33 waist in pants. I use the "long" version of the sleeping bag. It's much roomier than my Big Agnes zero degree bag. I had almost went with Big Agnes again on the new bag because it is a little lighter, but that does mean a sacrafice in roominess and a full length zipper. I did not like the idea of a shorter zipper to save weight.

New Post
7/15/2019 12:21 PM

Years ago Jack's R' Better sold a 25F rated quilt (800 fill) and offered 900 fill as an option for a while (they stopped as it became unavailable or too pricey, don't remember which) IIRC, it saved an ounce in that quilt.  If you needed a  -20 bag for K2, it might actually matter, otherwise, its probably just gram weenie bragging rights

This is the conclusion I'm gradually coming to.

New Post
7/15/2019 12:29 PM

kevinmcdowell wrote:

I am 6'2" and 193 lbs. Wider back and a narrower waist. I wear a size 33 waist in pants. I use the "long" version of the sleeping bag. It's much roomier than my Big Agnes zero degree bag. I had almost went with Big Agnes again on the new bag because it is a little lighter, but that does mean a sacrafice in roominess and a full length zipper. I did not like the idea of a shorter zipper to save weight.

Thanks, Kevin.

New Post
7/16/2019 10:23 PM

I am about six feet tall and 205. Not my preferred dimensions mind you. It’s a soft 205. Kevin models for HPG, not me.

I don’t think down is just about fp. There are quality differences as well. 

New Post
7/17/2019 3:45 PM

Another option you might want to consider is the Montbell Down Hugger.  https://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?cat_id=14001 '

These are very high quality, light bags.  The other feature which has really won me over is the stretch built into the bags.  I am a side sleeper 6'4" with long arms which stick out in front of me when sleeping.  These bags have provided a comfortable sleep for me.  They are on the expensive side but worth it to me YMMV.

For reference the Longs work great for me at 6''4" 225#.  I'm trending back toward 205/210#.  A bad horse wreck and a broken ankle in the back country elk hunting have knocked me off my game somewhat, but I'm back on it!

New Post
8/8/2019 1:12 PM

Are you set on a sleeping bag or would you consider a quilt?

I have an Enlightened Equipment "Revelation" quilt with 850-fill Downtek that I've been really impressed with. The warmth-weight ratio is great.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDown Sleeping Bag OptionsDown Sleeping Bag Options