Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralOsprey Vs. Hill People Gear packsOsprey Vs. Hill People Gear packs
Previous

Next
New Post
11/28/2019 12:58 PM

It's time for me to upgrade my pack. I've narrowed it down to a couple packs but i'm open for other suggestions. I like the fit of the Osprey Aether 70 but I tend to abuse my packs so id considered something like the HPG Ute possibly with a kitbag, but have never seen one in the wild. I would prefer to have more organization and utility in my pack than just a main compartment and belt pocket.

I need it for 1-5 day solo hikes and SAR, so my carry needs vary from 30L to 70L. Most of my equipment is lightweight and getting lighter and carrying less as time goes on.

The price tag on the HPG is a bit higher but is it more durable and worth it? Anybody have experience with these or have any other suggestions?

New Post
11/28/2019 4:48 PM

If durability is one of your concerns (and from my reading of your post, it is), then I would look to the HPG. No question.

New Post
11/29/2019 9:57 PM

Looking at one review. Gent mentioned that over 60-70 lbs is a little awkward. I can personally attest to a load in the 80's (Ute w/prairie belt) was fully contained and not awkward sliding down a mountainside. Had full control of the pack but the legs felt the weight and weren't use to it. Looking at the belt on the Aether70-very skinny compared to a Prairie Belt. The prairie belt happens to be the most comfortable belt I have ever worn. Even my old gregory wasn't as comfortable with a load. I often have pinched hips in other belts when taken out to the backcountry. As far as organization, a few bags selectively placed will help. There is a lid pocket as well and the kit bag can be strapped to the top.

New Post
11/30/2019 9:33 AM

I ran an Aether 70 our last couple years of backpacking before we had a baby. I put several hundred miles on it, and frankly I feel like the amount of wear it stacked up during that time is out of proportion to the mileage.

It's got some abraded nylon and a delta strap that is halfway broken. One of these days I'll get around to sending the hip belt back to Osprey, but in the meantime I've just been running a HPG belt.

I also prefer the Umlindi/Ute/Qui-Ya "one big sack storage system. I keep all my stuff organized with dry-bags so that works for me.

We're back to doing low mileage, two and three day trips, so I'm still using the Aether 70, but either in 2020 or 2021, I'll buy either a Ute or a Qui-Ya.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralOsprey Vs. Hill People Gear packsOsprey Vs. Hill People Gear packs