Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralQuestion for HPG Members - Wolf Reintroduction - Marketing AdviceQuestion for HPG Members - Wolf Reintroduction - Marketing Advice
Previous

Next
New Post
1/13/2020 1:58 PM

Hello all. This is my first post. I want to put a topic for discussion out there.

The topic of wolf reintroduction in Colorado has come up recently. This is by no means a political post. I am simply looking for the thoughts of people in this specific market niche. It should be noted that I am far from an expert in ecology and conservation, but I am interested to learn all I can.

I am in marketing for a financial firm, and I am about ready to launch a piece that talks about the necessity of treating every client's situation individually--not making blanket planning strategies to apply to everyone--as well as the importance of looking at all the of factors that go into retirement planning as one Balanced Retirement Ecosystem™ (income, investments, taxation, healthcare, legacy, etc.).

My concern is this. In a portion of this marketing piece, I outnlined the history of Yellowstone National Park, the extirpation of the grey wolf, the effects, the reintroduction of the grey wolf, and some of the balancing effects it has had in that specific ecosystem. 

I'm hoping that our intended audience will not extrapolate the case study of Yellowstone to think that we as a firm are arguing for the reintroduction of the wolf across many different ecosystems, but will instead follow the narrative of comparing the need to analyze an individual ecosystem to the need to analyze an individual retirement situation. The bottom line is, what might work in one case could be the exact wrong strategy for another case. 

In your opinion, is this topic likely to be politicized rather than being used to prove the point I am trying to make? 

Sorry for the long post. Part of my marketing piece is about unintended .consequences of not looking at the whole picture...I'm worried I might have made the same mistake in using this example.

Thanks for any input. 

New Post
1/13/2020 2:08 PM

I think you have. The subject is so charged that very few people are able to think about it rationally or as an abstract concept. I think it is a phenomal example for the exact reasons you probably chose it, but it is one of those thing I don't even like to mention to folks period.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
1/13/2020 2:13 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Scott. I think you are right about this. I'll likely have to rethink this project unfortunately.

It's also possible that I prove my point, but draw the wrong ecological conclusions as I am no ecologist.

I do want to include the link here in case anyone wanted to take a look at the video itself for deeper context:

https://start.ridgegatefinancial.com/training/retirement-ecosystem-planning/

New Post
1/13/2020 2:17 PM

The basic fact is that wildlife management needs to be managed for the health of the entire ecosystem, not just a single user group(s), by folks who are on the ground and understand the system and can quickly adapt to changes in the system, and not by remote or uniformed group think.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
1/13/2020 2:28 PM

scothill wrote:
The basic fact is that wildlife management needs to be managed for the health of the entire ecosystem, not just a single user group(s), by folks who are on the ground and understand the system and can quickly adapt to changes in the system, and not by remote or uniformed group think.

Scott, this is very well said. Thank you for weighing in. In fact, I think my pivot for this video might best be made by echoing your comment here, with or without attribution, whichever you would prefer. It will probably save 10 minutes of the video as well as defusing the potential politization of the whole thing. Would that be alright with you? Thanks again.

New Post
1/13/2020 2:50 PM

Up to you, but I am far from an ecologist or economist.

New Post
1/13/2020 2:54 PM

Thank you. I think the point you make is an important one, and I'll work on the right way to tie it in to the overall picture.

New Post
1/14/2020 6:14 PM

So yes, your current video up to the 5 min mark. Will probably alienate those people on the side of being hunters, farmers and people who deal with wildlife on a day to day basis. My .02 Wolf Reintroduction is too charged of a subject. I see both sides of the coin. This shows only one side and part of the other.

New Post
1/14/2020 9:58 PM

Elk Chaser, thanks for the thoughts. That group you mentioned alienating is actually a large part of our target demographic (hence seekning out this specific community for input). I'm a hunter myself, but have not dealt with that issue much, and I realize now that I accidentally took a stance on behalf of my company that is polarizing and not well informed. It may illustrate the point, but not if many of our target demographic click out of the video before getting there. I'm in process in uncharging it now. I'll likely post the revised video here once it's finished just to be able to close the loop on this thread. Thanks again for the input. I'm thankful for this community and the chance to learn from thoughtful, likeminded individuals.

New Post
1/16/2020 10:58 AM

In the interest of closing this loop, I have linked to the revised version. Thanks for the input, friends.

https://start.ridgegatefinancial.com/...ystem-planning/

New Post
1/22/2020 8:46 AM

Are you marketing wolves or finance?

Wolves, even in this abstract concept have little to do with your objective.

Wolves are political, period. You will alienate half of your target audience regardless of how balanced you are. Just bringing them up communicates that your company has a position or bias, and people will look for confirmation of that rather than thinking about your product and how it fills their needs or satisfies their wants.

What do you want them thinking about at the close of the marketing video?

As an aside, the blood thirsty self-centered reputation of wolves makes a connection in my mind as a potential customer that your company is... bloodthirsty and self-centered, working only for their own ends.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralQuestion for HPG Members - Wolf Reintroduction - Marketing AdviceQuestion for HPG Members - Wolf Reintroduction - Marketing Advice