Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSmaller Mid quallity BinocularsSmaller Mid quallity Binoculars
Previous

Next
New Post
12/29/2019 5:34 PM

I am on the hunt for high quality smaller binoculars for my son's 8th grade graduation present.
My personal equipment is in the Leica, Swarovski, Schmidt und Bender realm so I have little experience with the mid grade optics.
I am considering something in the 7-8x 28-34mm range. I am willing to spend 200-500 dollars. I would like decent glass, and either North American or European build quality.

What is out there that fits this description?

New Post
12/30/2019 5:09 PM

Honestly the Nikon Binoculars and Vortex Binoculars are very hard to beat. I have fancier ones in my kit bag, but prior to that Nikon served me well. Evan just switched from Nikon to Vortex to have a bit more magnification and they are nicer.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/30/2019 10:34 PM

Ditto on the Vortex binos.  I bought my birdwatcher wife a Vortex 8x32 binocular and she loves it.

New Post
1/3/2020 2:29 PM

I am going to need my arm twisted on the Vortex stuff. I hear too many people who love the Vortex warranty... because they used it more than once.

New Post
1/3/2020 3:43 PM

I've had good luck with Maven products.

New Post
1/3/2020 3:59 PM

Though not NA or European, I have had great luck with Pentax. Bought them on review by John Barness who said they were just a slight touch below the big names in glass quality etc. I haven't compared them but they seem very good to me. If you shop they are in your price range. Good luck and have fun looking.

New Post
1/13/2020 2:13 PM

I have one vortex scope that has mostly lived in the safe so far since it didn't work on the gun I got it for. Evan has one, and it is mounted, but the rifle needed some work to get it functional. Evan has been carrying the vortex binos in his kit bag all the time for awhile. That is the sum total of my experience with vortex. My limited observation is there is a big vocal group of guys yelling how they are trash, but I don't really see many examples given, and when a concrete example is given it is the lower cost stuff. Like anything where a company has levels of quality lower quality are going to break sooner and higher quality may never break. There are far to many folks rolling around with vortex stuff for me to not take the vocal groups yelling with a grain of salt. I will go a step further and say that some of those folks have repped vortex when they were sponsored, derided them when they weren't, and then repped again once they were sponsored.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
1/14/2020 6:43 PM

I went with some Stiner T824's  8X24 for my small bino's.  I got them for under $300.   The photo's on line had a "Tactical" label on them  but the one's I received just have a T824 label in the same location.  Traveled to Norway last summer with them, Colorado over the holidays, use them regularly.  Have not replaced my Ziess EDF's for hunting yet or my larger  8 X 40's but for small quality take along easly binoculars they get a nod from me.  I lost the front lens covers on a windy paddling trip and I was able to easly order a couple more.  Now with a dummy cord attatched.

New Post
1/25/2020 10:14 AM

Longeye wrote:
I am going to need my arm twisted on the Vortex stuff. I hear too many people who love the Vortex warranty... because they used it more than once.

With Vortex, you get what you pay for. Vortex has a large product range, and a large price spectrum. The cheapest products are made in Communist China, the mid-range are made in the Philippines, while the high-end product lines are made in Japan (Razor) or the US (AMG).

Your required usage of the (astonishing) Vortex warranty depends on how much you're willing to spend.

I do not own any of their binos yet, unfortunately, just two Razor rifle scopes and both of them are fantastic.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSmaller Mid quallity BinocularsSmaller Mid quallity Binoculars