Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWildlife photography out of a UTEWildlife photography out of a UTE
Previous

Next
New Post
9/12/2020 8:29 AM

First time poster, long time lurker. I have read through a ton of threads and been able to answer any questions I have previously had before by doing just that. 

This particular subject I have not been able to find much discussion on. I spend a good bit of time on some public hunting land here in upstate SC. I deer hunt and over the years have started getting into landscape, and now wildife photography. 

I have seen a few folks using the Tenba modules in their packs and those seem to work really well. However, I am running a sony 200-600 lens and it just wont fit in any of their cases. Is anyone else running long lenses for wildlife photography out of their HPG pack?   I actually have a dedicated camera pack (shimoda explore60) but its blue, it squeaks when I have it loaded down, and also my UTE is 10x more comfortable. 

New Post
9/12/2020 3:39 PM

If you've not already, you might check into f-Stop's ICU series:

http://fstopgear.com/products/icu/pro-icu-xlarge

Of course with your camera equipment colonizing most of the Ute's cubes, you'll probably need a pouch of some sort even for your hunting/dayhike load out.  For my large format gear (a 5x7 monorail) I really like the qui-Ya/Connor combination for a similar application.

New Post
9/12/2020 7:00 PM

I do like the fstop icu setups. This is very similar to my shimoda core setup. Like you said this would take up quite a bit of real estate in my pack so I am hoping to find a solution designed for a single lens and camera body. 

Most of the time, even when hiking, I will have my camera out and ready with a sling. I just need to be able to stow it in the case of foul weather, or when traversing technical terrain. I also run a pals pocket so I have some space. 

New Post
9/13/2020 4:59 AM

Excellent, I thought that might be the case for your kind of photography...  The ideal I suppose would be a holster of some sort:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product...hcaApEAEALw_wcB

that you could lay horizontally across the top of your load, but given that the Ute has a pretty slim packbag, you'd probably have to stow the camera vertically, which of course is a pain.  A panel loader like the AHBC might start making more sense, or else you might be reduced to breaking down your DSLR and using camera/lens wraps.

At any rate, I've hiked a lot of miles with a Pentax 67 kit, so I feel your pain--let us know what solution works for you.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWildlife photography out of a UTEWildlife photography out of a UTE