Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralMidlayer InsulationMidlayer Insulation
Previous

Next
New Post
10/5/2020 10:36 AM

Dear All at HPG,

Like many of you, I am dusting off the mid-layers as the Fall rolls in. Also, like many of you, my go-to has been the Arcteryx Atom LT. I now have a Gen 1 and a Gen 2; not using the Gen 1 off-duty because its issued  and stands out due to the colour. The Gen 2 is inferior. Its still as warm but, the construction is not as good. The face fabric seems brittle and its not as fitted. Noisy in the cold.

I recently came across the Arcteryx Proton line. The FL (fast and light) weighs 25g less but seems warmer. The interior is soft and breathable. The exterior is soft and sheds water well. I now have the Proton Lt as well (there is a discount place near me that is 40-60% off last years models and I keep my eye on the Outlet). A bit lighter in  weight to the Atom Lt but softer, warmer and fits better (5'9", 165lbs).

Can't say enough good stuff about the Proton line; warmer, better breathability (if that's the right word) and seems better quality.

When you have to pump out big bucks for this kind of gear, you want the best. I will be retiring my Gen 2 Atom Lt permanently now.

Hope this helps anyone looking around for a new and improved mid-layer.

New Post
10/8/2020 9:21 AM

That's good to know Craig.  I often feel like I should buy three of a jacket when I get one that works - just so the manufacturer won't go and change it on me.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralMidlayer InsulationMidlayer Insulation