Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralRehydration  bladders vs CanteensRehydration bladders vs Canteens
Previous

Next
New Post
8/23/2019 1:13 PM

Sourceoutdoor(dot)com is having a store wide 20% off sale. I also received a bonus 2ltr “Liquitainer” water bottle with the order of a bladder.

New Post
10/12/2020 4:21 PM

This is probably very stupid, so call me on it if it is. But I've always just used a 1L Source bladder in the lid of the pack with the hose shortened and a QD for a Sawyer filter, using Source's pull style hard plastic nipple instead of a gnawable bite valves, and keep one of their bottle fill adapters in my chest pocket. Clean water is carried in 1L smartwater bottles, essentially free and the lowest weight option I've found without going to the collapsible bottles which always fail. It takes about ten seconds to reach back, grab a bottle from the pack wand pockets, swap the nipple for the adapter, and fill the bladder, no sloshing bottles without having to shotgun the whole thing, and you can sip water to keep your mouth comfortable all day. Friend working in a hospital gives access to lots of disposables, so I pack 2m of plastic 1/4"ID tubing, paired with a no-name nearly silent aquarium pump that runs off of rechargeable AAAs (along with headlight/GPS) I've got a no effort pump filter both to increase processing speed and to draw water up either from small sources or if I've got to get down into it without clambering off a bank or whatnot. I also keep a normally empty 3L dirty bladder, effectively no weight/space penalty, either to gravity feed from or to have a bulk bag just for packing to a campsite if I'm out with friends/dogs/kids and need the extra capacity.

The bottles are lighter/cheaper than nalgene/canteens and just as if not more durable (no problem freezing). The filter stays in my pocket so no problem with freezing and lighter than a pump. The aquarium pump and hospital tubing is very small/light (coils up in a beanie, total weight ~6 ounces?, can and do use the tubing to hang my boots/pack off the ground at night, and carry the batteries for the pump anyway for nav/light gear. It's as easy as anything else I've tried, and more flexible, while being as much as half the weight as the rest. I don't worry at all about the bladder because at the worst it's only ever 1/3L of my supply, and where it's at in my load it's protected from all damage I can think of short of running it over or a really bad fall.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralRehydration  bladders vs CanteensRehydration bladders vs Canteens