By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You are able to update your settings at any time.

Cookie Policy

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser, and then subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things that a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly Necessary Cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website e.g. logging in etc.

Cookies:
  • .ASPXANONYMOUS
  • .DOTNETNUKE
  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • CV_Portal
  • CV_Store_Portal_Cart_21
  • CV_USER
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_21
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance Cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited or how you navigated around our website.

Cookies:
  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional Cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting Cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralBattle Pants and ilkBattle Pants and ilk
Previous

Next
New Post
11/2/2020 6:38 AM

It seems in the past 20 years there has been an evolution from the old BDU to what are called battle pants.  There is much discussion on the attributes of various brands such as Crye Precision which seem to be focused on appearance (camouflage), functionality, durability and neat features such as internal knee pads. 

As a traditional bowhunter and former mountaineer, what seems absent is information on how quickly the fabric dries and how it contributes to body heat loss.  I am struggling for the correct term but on one end there is cotton which gets wet easily, like a sponge, is slow to dry, and greatly steals heat from the body.  Cotton also does not allow minimal passage of moisture among layers of clothing and has a negative insulation value.  Wool is at the opposite end.  Also, how noisy are the fabrics used in combat pants.  Cotton and GoreTex are loud when rubbed up against sagebrush but most wool weaves are pretty quiet.

New Post
11/2/2020 3:08 PM

For what you're talking about as your end use, you might want to look into Sitka gear - taking some of those military advances and they apply them to hunting apparel. I personally don't have any (because I'm not their demographic, since I don't actively hunt), but they are very well regarded by the folks I know who do.

New Post
11/3/2020 6:11 AM

You might look at the Crye All Weather pants. They are designed to dry quickly.

The standard Crye Combat pants are a poly cotton blend, but with panels for synthetic at the knees and crotch and dry pretty quickly. I have about 5 years experience in the Crye pants, both Combat and Field versions, as well as several year in their Combat shirt. They may not be as quiet as wool, but they dry quickly, are supremely comfortable and durable. The Combat Pants are my go to bush and duty pant at this point.

The articulated fit of the Crye trousers is what really sold me on them. After buying the Combat pants, I ended up buying a set of the lower profile Field pants so that I could wear the same fit but in town on my own time. I have been tempted to buy a set of Crye Field pants and seam rip the external pockets off for an even lower profile pant.

For serious wet weather or wet snow, I have a set of Arcteryx Alpha bibs, they are comfortable and keep me dry, but are not quiet.

New Post
11/3/2020 7:16 AM

You also might want to check out some of the offerings (tactical and otherwise) from Outdoor Research.

New Post
11/3/2020 11:25 AM

Duluth Trading is my go to for outdoor pants. I am not sure they are battle pants but they are all I have worn in the field for a couple years now.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
11/4/2020 1:34 PM

scothill wrote:
Duluth Trading is my go to for outdoor pants. I am not sure they are battle pants but they are all I have worn in the field for a couple years now.

Love Duluth pants. My everyday pants are the Firehose Flex 5 pocket jeans, which are also great for hiking. The Flexpedition are great too when temps are colder as the material runs warmer even though it's thinner. 

New Post
11/7/2020 11:45 AM

You might check some offering from 5.11 . I currently wear a light weight pants from them that are good for my use both in the woods or in town.

https://www.511tactical.com/mens/mens-pants.html

https://www.511tactical.com/apex-pant.html

New Post
2/4/2021 8:09 PM

It's hard to beat Duluth!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralBattle Pants and ilkBattle Pants and ilk