By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You are able to update your settings at any time.

Cookie Policy

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser, and then subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things that a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly Necessary Cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website e.g. logging in etc.

Cookies:
  • .ASPXANONYMOUS
  • .DOTNETNUKE
  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • CV_Portal
  • CV_Store_Portal_Cart_21
  • CV_USER
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_21
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance Cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited or how you navigated around our website.

Cookies:
  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional Cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting Cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralGaitersGaiters
Previous

Next
New Post
6/22/2020 6:18 AM

Any recommendations for Gaiters? I live in the hunmid and hot South Carolina which has lots of dew in the mornings. Some rough terrain and I venture off trail a lot. I need something for water protection and to keep debris out. Currently looking at these,  https://www.kuiu.com/shop/footwear/bo...ootwear-gaiters

New Post
6/22/2020 7:53 AM

I've had the best luck with Outdoor Research Gaiters. I use their Expedition Crocodiles exclusively. I work for the Forest Service and we end up burning slash piles into the winter until snow keeps us from getting into the woods. I've never had any complaints about them. A couple years ago I was on a hunt in Alaska with my dad and he had the Kuiu Yukon Gaiters and they got a sizable tear within the 10 day hunt. My expedition crocodiles didn't have any issues. They're built ruggedly and whatever weight they do have reflects that. Cheers!

New Post
6/22/2020 9:10 AM

Thanks

New Post
6/22/2020 10:07 AM

I'm not busting brush in all the time in (equally humid) East Tennessee, but over all I've been pleased with the eVent gaiters that Ron Bell at MLD made me.  Other than having to replace the shock cord periodically, they've held up to a lot of trail miles.  Again, I was wanting something mainly to keep out trail debris--they won't be nearly as robust as the OR, etc. but I'd venture they'd be as cool as anything you'll find on the market.

http://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/superlight-gaiter/

New Post
6/22/2020 12:22 PM

Thanks

New Post
7/1/2020 10:46 AM

I've been using OR crocodiles for awhile now, and they are a great rugged gaiter. I use the expedition style over bulky mountaineering boots. The downside for me is that they aren't that breathable, and are a bit bulky and heavy to carry all the time. That being said, in the winter they are almost always in my pack regardless of how likely I think i'll be to use them.

New Post
11/9/2020 2:55 AM

@Creationbear

Thanks for the recommendation.  This is what I went with for now. So far so good. I like that they don't have zippers or Velcro. Don't even notice them unless it starts warming up.

New Post
11/9/2020 5:24 AM

Excellent, I wear mine with a pair of FGL boots and usually stay pretty dry (a lot of the trails here in the Smokies are pretty much creek beds six months out of the year.) It definitely pays to have a roll of shock cord in your gear bin, though, if you're putting in a lot of miles over rocky terrain.

New Post
1/13/2021 5:01 PM

I've tried a lot of different gaiters and the Yukons are the best that I've found for wet/snow; summer I use a much shorter/lighter/breathable gaiter- basically something to keep degree out.

But for wet/cold/snow, the Yukons are solid!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralGaitersGaiters