Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSaddle huntingSaddle hunting
Previous

Next
New Post
11/30/2020 7:33 PM

Anyone saddle hunting? If so what pack do you use? My delima is that I hunt in some thick brush and have to go thru the same stuff to get out. 
I need to be able to carry in a platform, sticks and a few other items. I carry my bow  in my hand and I may need to pack out the deer. Any suggestions?

New Post
12/1/2020 9:35 AM

What is saddle hunting? I am not familiar with the term.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/1/2020 9:48 AM

A tree saddle system allows a hunter to move into position and shoot in multiple directions. With a saddle you have 360-degree shooting mobility around any tree, so there are no missed opportunities like there are with conventional stands with limited shooting mobility to the backside of large trees.

New Post
12/1/2020 9:49 AM

https://tethrdnation.com/saddle-hunting-101/

New Post
12/2/2020 10:34 AM

Interesting, so essentially hunting with linemans climbing gear? Do you carry a foot platform or just the harness and rope?

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/2/2020 3:31 PM

I carry a platform right now. I may get a ring of steps. I have a local guy that does SRT(single rope technique) I plan on getting with him and trying that next year.

I'm thinking of trying some kind of sled to drag my deer out of the woods. Not sure what to do but I guess I'll figure it out this month if I get one.

New Post
12/3/2020 9:10 AM

It is really going to depend on the size of your platform. Given the mention of thick brush I think I would run an Umlindi with a Palspocket. The platform would go between the two. However you also mention carrying out meat. How much and how far? The Decker and Decker Pocket is probably a better match, but it is taller than the Lindi so it wouldn't work as well in the brush. However, it would let you put the platform and a load of meat right against your back and then use the Decker Pocket for the rest of you gear.

New Post
12/3/2020 12:49 PM

The platform is small and only weighs 3 lbs. it folds flat so no issue with it.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSaddle huntingSaddle hunting