Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWork Sharp Ken Onion EditionWork Sharp Ken Onion Edition
Previous

Next
New Post
7/2/2014 9:14 PM

Well, I ended up picking up one of these on sale, along with a couple spare packs of belts for it.  It's pretty easy to use, as long as you take a few minutes and read the manual first.  There is a small learning curve with it, as many have said on a whole bunch of internet reviews.  I would recommend practicing with an unimportant knife first in order to get your technique down and to explore the different angles that the device can be set at.  I'd also say to not progress to a finer belt too quickly.

My initial impressions of it are that it's a great way for the average guy to achieve very sharp results with a minimum of time invested.

Currently, I still feel that I can do a better job free-handing a fine edge using my $35.00 Harbor Freight 30" belt sander, with Lee Valley belts in different grits and micron ranges, and a good leather strop with black and green compound.  Maybe over time and more practice with the Ken Onion I'll be able to achieve the same kind of edges I can make with the HF 30".  

All in all, though...the Work Sharp Ken Onion is a solidly made tool that can produce a very keen edge on most any knife, axe, or cutting tool.  

If anyone is on the fence about getting one, FWIW, I'd say it's worth the bucks as long as you aren't expecting a mirror edge within 10 minutes.  Once all of the nuances and plenty of practice is done, the tool certainly is capable of as keen an edge as any field or kitchen knife would need.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/3/2014 5:11 PM

Have you tried the purple/fine belt yet?  They get me pretty close to straight-razor sharp.  I don't have the Onion version but the older Worksharp.  My wife's kitchen knives have NEVER been as sharp.

New Post
7/3/2014 5:26 PM

Haven't used the extra fine purple one yet.  It's recommended for serrated blades and gut hooks.  I may try it out soon.  I have been able to already get several knives to where they will fairly effortlessly glide through a sheet of paper and shave arm hairs using a combo of the x22 (medium) and x4 (fine) belts.  I just still feel more comfortable with the HB 30" one I've been previously using.  I'm sure with a bit more practice, I'll get more adept with the Ken Onion, but I'll still use the HB 30" for some other work and for finishing blades with a strop and polishing compounds.  

Don't get me wrong...I definitely like the Ken Onion....I just need to spend more time with it.  I could even see taking it along in my truck sometimes and running it off of a power inverter for sharpening axes and knives at a camp.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWork Sharp Ken Onion EditionWork Sharp Ken Onion Edition