Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralCamp axe/pack axeCamp axe/pack axe
Previous

Next
New Post
5/31/2016 5:41 PM

Hey what camp axe or pack axe are y'all using?

New Post
5/31/2016 5:57 PM

victors503 wrote:

Oh boy....did you ever open a big ol' can o' worms!  Well....here we go!

Axes, hawks, hatchets, and knives are always a source of contention, because guys are very partial to certain brands, designs, sizes, and features.  So, might as well kick it off.  My overall favorite is my Wetterlings Les Stroud Bushman Axe.  For the size, weight, and ability to do a lot of work, it is the one I would pick above others.  My second favorite is my Two Hawks Longhunter Tomahawk, but only if I don't think I need to process a whole bunch of wood.  Finally, if I know I am going to be doing a lot of work to create plenty of splits for a campfire, I like my Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest Axe.

No doubt in my mind that several others here on the Forum will be chiming in with their own favorites!  However...it turns out that is one of the best things here...lots of knowledge being thrown out by plenty of experienced backcountry folk!  Welcome aboard and enjoy!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
5/31/2016 8:24 PM

I carry a Cold Steel Trail Boss or a Cold Steel Frontier Hawk, but it's usually in conjunction with a Sven Saw.

There are so many options to go with, you sort of need to experiment to see what works for you. I tried just a machete, but it was a bit of work getting anything larger than wrist sized pieces of wood.

New Post
5/31/2016 9:25 PM

alpendrms wrote:
victors503 wrote:

Finally, if I know I am going to be doing a lot of work to create plenty of splits for a campfire, I like my Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest Axe

Prettiest limbing axe I've ever owned. G-B stuff is the stuff of ageless craftsmanship.  

Then again, rehafting axes gets to be a drag and the Fiskars line of hatchets/axes/mauls are cheap and functional and the handles are bomber.

That said, for on the go ...  a big knife and a Bahco Laplander folding saw are a lot easier to carry and work just great for my little squaw fires.

"Law is error, you see. It's an attempt to write down a lot of things that everyone ought to know anyway" ~~~ Freeman ibn Solomon - The Gone-Away World (Nick Harkaway)

New Post
6/1/2016 11:30 AM

I carry an old Ontario machete that I was issued in the Army. I cut it down to 12", removed the plastic handles, lengthened the handle area, and carved my own red oak skins. My axe is a Husqvarna 26" traditional (multi-purpose) 3 lbs single bit. I also have the Husqvarna 13" hatchet if I felt like leaving the axe and machete and just carrying one tool.

* Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem * De Oppresso Liber *

New Post
6/1/2016 12:58 PM

I used a fiskars hatchet for a while with no real complaints, but the Gransfors is much nicer to use.

For me the 25" ish handle of the small forest axe was the perfect compromise of just big enough for two hands and just small enough for one.

I don't carry it all that often, usually a small folding saw and a mora does all the wood work i really need.

New Post
6/1/2016 1:38 PM

Wetterlings or Gransfors Bruks axes w/ 23-28" handles. Huskavarnas are decent I've heard. Or the Fiskars X15. I'm also really fond of tomahawks, but they aren't nearly as effective as actual axes. I personally like the Cold Steel Trail Hawk, though the Two Hawks Longhunter mentioned above looks legit.

I also picked up and have been playing around with one of these:

http://www.baryonyxknife.com/richaaxe.html

It's like an axe / tomahawk hybrid. Handle fits on like a tomahawk handle, but the head is wedge-shaped. 28" handle. Weights about the same as my Cold Steel Trail Hawk, but should be much much more efficient at splitting wood. However, I don't like the shape of the handle (though I mostly fixed it with some sandpaper and a paracord wrap) I haven't gotten to split wood or anything yet, but I've been using it to rough out tomahawk handles and it seems to be legit so far.

Also, you can look at old axe heads, the like pre-1960-1970's stuff, and re-shaft your own axe. It's not hard and those older axe heads are seriously nice.

Like a number of people above mentioned, saws. I'm a huge fan of them. Bahco Laplander or (what I now use) a Silky Bigboy saw. Way better than bowsaws, even my Sven.

New Post
6/1/2016 3:11 PM

Evo8dude wrote:
Wetterlings or Gransfors Bruks axes w/ 23-28" handles. Huskavarnas are decent I've heard.  

The Huskies are good axes.  They are made by Hultafors which is one of the oldest Bruks in Sweden.  They are considerably cheaper than the Wetterlings, Granfors, of Hultafors.  The handles is not as finely done and requires sanding and linseed oil work, the edge needs attention right out of the box, and the sheath is "ok".  All of these attribute to the much lower cost but the steel is on par with the rest.  For a guy like me who operates on a budget but has time, patience, and know-how, it is a great tool.

New Post
6/1/2016 5:45 PM

I have an old Hultafors that I picked up in an antique store for $6 that I really like. (Most of my axes I picked up used, this is probably the best route to go to be honest)

New Post
6/1/2016 7:02 PM

I use a 20' Wetterlings 99% of the time. It's not the best at anything, but does it all passably well. Perfect size for the back of a Lindi.

New Post
6/1/2016 7:06 PM

Evo8dude wrote:
I have an old Hultafors that I picked up in an antique store for $6 that I really like. (Most of my axes I picked up used, this is probably the best route to go to be honest)

I like your style!!  I would have certainly bought something used and even looked all over the area we live but couldn't find a thing.  I do have an old Collins double bit cruiser head coming in the mail this week that I intend on restoring.  I enjoy taking older stuff and making it "new" again.  I just finished a buddies old Mann double bit the other day and am currently working on a small hatchet that he has from the early 50's marked only with Sweden.  

New Post
6/1/2016 7:11 PM

For super lite weight option I go with the Fiskars X7.

For a slightly heavier option but still packable depending on what I am doing, the council tools wood-craft with the 24" handle is my new favorite. http://counciltool.com/shop/wood-craft/2-wood-craft-pack-axe-24-curved-handle-mask/

I usually opt to go without a axe and carry a bigger knife when packing in, but when I do bring one it will be one of the two above.

New Post
6/1/2016 7:34 PM

Yea, you can find good axe heads on ebay usually. My friend does ALOT of axes like that. He's got a TON of axes, lol.

New Post
6/2/2016 11:38 AM

Evo8dude wrote:
Yea, you can find good axe heads on ebay usually.l.

Don't have a ton of 'em but I did score a True Temper Kelly Flintedge double bit on ebay.  2#12oz.  I ground a bevel with the Baldor and I'm thinking about getting the head Cerracoated before I haft it.  I had to go to three hardware stores to find a handle that had the proper grain orientation and didn't have grain that ran out somewhere on the shaft.  When I get done with it, I'll have something that isn't available on the market anywhere that I'm aware of.  A light double-bit with a 30in handle.

New Post
6/2/2016 11:42 AM

crewhead05 wrote:

I usually opt to go without a axe and carry a bigger knife when packing in, but when I do bring one it will be one of the two above.

A knife to baton with and a small Silky saw is my choice for three seasons if I plan to build a lot of fires.  The X7 is the Mustang GT of hatchets.  The GB Wildlife is the Porsche.  IIRC, they have identical weights.  I see a 3/4 axe as a tool for deep winter or for a party of several folks.

New Post
6/2/2016 11:56 AM

Take-a-knee wrote:

crewhead05 wrote:

A knife to baton with and a small Silky saw is my choice for three seasons if I plan to build a lot of fires.  The X7 is the Mustang GT of hatchets.  The GB Wildlife is the Porsche.  IIRC, they have identical weights.  I see a 3/4 axe as a tool for deep winter or for a party of several folks.

Agreed, I basically have the same theory on the tools. The 3/4 axe is for when there is more than me, OR when I want to do a longfire for the night. The only difference is I prefer the bahco to the silky. No doubt the silky cuts better, but I have broken one before when it got bound and snapped. I have had the bahco bind similarly many times without breaking.  Not saying one is better than the other, just that my uses of them both has led me to trust one over the other.

New Post
6/2/2016 9:53 PM

I purchased a Wetterlings Les Stroud Bushman Axe based on what I read on this forum and I love it. It is in my truck 24/7 unless I am in the woods or using it on my property.

New Post
6/4/2016 6:51 AM

Big fan of my GB Scandinavian Forest Axe.

New Post
6/6/2016 6:58 AM

No surprise I have a GB Forest Axe for heavier work, and a custom hafted (19" handle) Wetterling small head for the in case carry during the winter. I always have a Gerber slide out saw in my pack.

That baryonxknife hybrid is very interesting to me. I might have to pick one up.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/6/2016 3:16 PM

Benjamin, the owner of Baryonyx Knives is a super friendly and helpful guy, and pretty responsive via email as well. In case you had any questions...

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralCamp axe/pack axeCamp axe/pack axe