By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You are able to update your settings at any time.

Cookie Policy

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser, and then subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things that a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly Necessary Cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website e.g. logging in etc.

Cookies:
  • .ASPXANONYMOUS
  • .DOTNETNUKE
  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • CV_Portal
  • CV_Store_Portal_Cart_21
  • CV_USER
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_21
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance Cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited or how you navigated around our website.

Cookies:
  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional Cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting Cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDo-rag/Skull Cap for sweat management?Do-rag/Skull Cap for sweat management?
Previous

Next
New Post
4/12/2017 9:42 AM

As a bald guy here in the humid Southeast, I'm starting to see the need for some sort of system to keep sweat out of my eyes--any products in particular that work for you?

New Post
4/12/2017 10:51 AM

As a follically challenged guy I am subscribing with great interest.

I am in NY or traveling quite a bit. Mixed climates .Active . Heavy sweater here . In the winter I will soak two to three fleece beanies in a day under a pack moving. With the exception of a 100% wool afghan hat I have yet to find anything that works better. ( Bit of an image problem with the pakol .)

For hot humid heat when not worried about bugs I use a tilley airflow hat. Stops the sweat from blinding me ,cools me down slightly and it is easy to wring out. Have not found anything that works better. It has a nice comfy sweat band that caresses my baby smooth dome... My partner who is a jungle guy swears by an antique boonie hat. That thing has been washed so many times he calls it head pajamas.
For do-rags I use cotton buffs. No seams, very comfy and looks like prophylactic when donned. Again two in rotation.

I am yet to find a better combo. And eagerly waiting any new leads.

m

New Post
4/12/2017 11:21 AM

That helps a lot, thanks!  I'm a fair skinned (former) redhead with a family history of skin cancer, so both the Tilley and the Buffs couldn't hurt in that regard, either.  Good to know that both are washable as well--I can save my HPG ball caps for "formal" occasions.:)

New Post
4/13/2017 2:15 PM

Halo headband

New Post
4/13/2017 4:54 PM

Just took a quick look at the Halo products on Amazon, thanks!  They look as if they'd work, though I might have to worry about sizing--definitely rolling with a cabeza grande here...

New Post
4/13/2017 7:38 PM

I bought a walnut dyed silk bandana at a reenactment trade fair I plan on trying for that. I'll report back how it goes

New Post
4/14/2017 4:48 AM

Now that's interesting...I guess any material with insulating properites probably has absorption properties as well.

BTW, I'm curious--what era/locale would have featured such headwear? 

New Post
4/14/2017 5:52 AM

Pirates?

New Post
4/14/2017 10:10 AM

El mac ... I read that and just started laughing. Good one.

Creation bear - if I recall you're in my neck of the woods. I sweat a ton. I like buffs, but don't have experience with cotton ones. I bought a poly one a decade or so ago, and it works but doesn't see much use. Growing up in the North West, or maybe because my grandparents are from Sweden and Russia, I run really hot. In the summer, I can't wear anything on top of my head, except this one glorious straw hat I got in Tulum... sadly my wife's cat ate it. I was quite angry... I'm still looking for a good stateside replacement, but you may consider straw hats with a decent sweat band. When you're fishing or tilling, it's hard to beat a good straw hat for me.

- J

New Post
4/14/2017 3:49 PM

Ha, grew up on a farm here in the South but wore mostly ball caps--my granny would rock a straw hat on occasion (but didn't smoke a corncob pipe like her mother.)  A pretty good solution, though, if you're not on a rhody crawl.

At any rate, I ordered this Halo skull cap--looking forward to seeing how it works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sk_ql_qh_dp_hza

New Post
4/14/2017 3:56 PM

I am not a fan of straw, but am all about Sunbody Palm Leafs. They have a great sweat band. That us what I wear when I want to provide my own shade. I use a halo band when mountain biking and they work dang well. Otherwise it is a ball cap, with a buff handy to wipe my brow. If I am indoors, it is a bandana cholo style.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/14/2017 4:32 PM

Thanks, Scot...those Sunbody hats look very interesting--most of my days afield are under a pretty heavy canopy, but there are several ridgeline hikes where shade is hard to come by.  Definitely a "horses for courses" scenario shaping up...

New Post
4/15/2017 4:24 AM

CreationBear wrote:

Ha, grew up on a farm here in the South --my granny would rock a straw hat on occasion (but didn't smoke a corncob pipe like her mother.) 

Now you have an obligation to post a pic . Smoking a concob pipe while wearing the halo do-rag on the porch.....

New Post
4/15/2017 6:58 AM

I'm still under probation for fly fishing in shorts/poly-pro tights like the Kiwi's do--you fashion-forward types will have to pick up the fallen banner.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDo-rag/Skull Cap for sweat management?Do-rag/Skull Cap for sweat management?