Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralEvernew Ti DX Stand - The Trangia UpgradeEvernew Ti DX Stand - The Trangia Upgrade
Previous

Next
New Post
8/10/2017 5:51 PM

Much like Evan's "In the Field: Cook System" video from April of last year, I use a trangia alcohol burner in conjunction with a small cook pot. However, instead of the windscreen I have a Bushcraft Essentials Bushbox that weighs just under 11 oz and lays completely flat when disassembled, which does not fit inside of my cook pot. The issue that I have with it is that the structural integrity relies on eight locking tabs (two on each wall) that are quite tight to begin with and take some finagling in order to get right. The major problem comes after the system has been used and the metal has expanded due to the heat element, the walls are pretty well locked in. On top on that, the amount of time and effort necessary to disassemble the stove not only leaves me frustraded but also covered in black soot.

On that note, I'm looking to upgrade to a more efficient and simple design. After doing some research, I came across the Evernew Ti DX Stand. Here's the attraction:

The Evernew weighs just 1.83 oz (close to 10oz weight savings over the Bush Box). It utilizes a round design which would allow me to store it inside my cook pot and thus, not have to worry about the take down frustrations (I think; read on...) . Standard boil time with the Bush Box/Trangia combo is somewhere around 13 min. From what I'm seeing and reading from current owners, the Evernew/Trangia ranges between 3 and 5 min boil times due to the heat plate placed above the burner and added wind channels. The benefit here is obviously twofold; less fuel burned and hot food in my body faster. The only thing I'm not too sure about is being able to tamp out the flame once I've got the water boiled. Because the heat plate in placed above the burner, and would obviously be quite hot, I'm not sure if it could be removed with mutli-tool plyers or if it would stick, thus leaving me with a similar problem as my current system. The quick fix being to only have enough fuel in the trangia for one use, but it's a waste of space in my opinion. I prefer to fill it to the max.

Does anyone have any experience with the Evernew DX?

New Post
8/10/2017 11:49 PM

Check out Hiram cooks channel on youtube. He has tons of info about alky stove stuff including the evernew stand. Have you also looked at the emberlit ti. fireant?

New Post
8/11/2017 11:19 AM

The evernew looks like a pretty nice system. We're also working on putting my setup into production as well. Ti doesn't hold heat any length of time at all, but the tamping issue is interesting. In the case of my setup, I simply lift it completely off of the burner and then tamp out the burner. I like the emberlit guys, but the fireant doesn't have much value in my opinion simply because the windscreen part of the equation is so crucial and the emberlit doesn't have a provision for one.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
8/11/2017 11:25 AM

Nevermind... just realized after looking at enough pictures that the evernew isn't a windscreen. Same issue as the fireant. Build your own or wait for ours to come out. It's a better solution. BTW, an 11oz stand would never make my cut for pot support / windscreen duty due to weight.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
8/12/2017 4:03 PM

evanhill wrote:
"BTW, an 11oz stand would never make my cut for pot support / windscreen duty due to weight."

They say we carry the decisions we make in our youth... Boy, that can't be taken any more literal. At the time I purchased the bushbox, weight was never a factor. "Man up and push through" was the mindset of the day. I've come to realize that my time outdoors is better spent enjoying the outdoors than working hard to be there. We used to build small camp fires to cook our meals as kids, never thought twice about it. Spent more time gathering wood, clearing an area, getting the fire going, keeping the fire going, cooking the food and cleaning pots and pans than we did actually being there.

The Evernew is not a wind screen, just a stand. But it does seem to expedite the cooking process quite a bit. I haven't noticed much of a problem without a wind screen here in FL, I'm assuming conditions are much different at 10000 ft. in the Rockies. I am interested to hear about your product though, any details?

New Post
8/13/2017 1:55 PM

If wind is never an issue, then a windscreen isn't necessary. Our product is pretty much exactly what is depicted in my video, made a little wider to accomodate a couple different ultralight pots.

New Post
8/13/2017 7:16 PM

Interesting - I have the same GSI pot as in the video. I usually pack it with a small pocket rocket isobutane burner, small fuel canister, lighter and the weird grabby thing (silicon finger "pot holder") that came with the GSI. It works fine, but I've been thinking about changing over to an alcohol stove.

What is the new HPG product ? Just the potstand/windscreen or stove also ?

New Post
8/14/2017 4:22 PM

just the pot stand / windscreen.

New Post
8/16/2017 6:20 PM

Has anyone tried the "Fire Box Stove"? I have watched several videos of this stove being used, it looks as though it collapses to a small package.

New Post
8/17/2017 2:08 PM

The "personal" wood fire algorithm begins with a ring of rocks on the ground and ends with a Bushbuddy.  All else are substitutes/adjuncts.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralEvernew Ti DX Stand - The Trangia UpgradeEvernew Ti DX Stand - The Trangia Upgrade