Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralChains or strapsChains or straps
Previous

Next
New Post
1/29/2018 9:24 AM

Hello all - I was the lucky recipient of a Hi-Lift jack recently.  I need it for a few projects but then I'll likely keep it with my older 4Runner.  I have one of those gadgets for lifting the wheel directly but I'm also looking at getting either a chain or a tow strap in case I ever need to use it as a winch.  Any advice on which to get?  From what I can see a polyester tow strap (with limited stretch) is cheaper than the equivalent length of chain.  Is there any reason to go with chain?

I'm a pretty careful driver and I've never gotten stuck before so whatever I end up with won't see much use.  (Hopefully!)

New Post
1/29/2018 1:44 PM

Ultimately you will want both depending on where you are driving and the conditions but in my opinion a good 3/8 binder chain is most useful if you learn how to use it in combination with your Hi-Lift jack.

New Post
1/30/2018 8:16 AM

Thanks Todd.  I'll check into chains.  There's a local company that sells a 20' 3/8 chain for about $60 which isn't terrible.  I'm mostly leaving the grid roads during the summer and fall to travel on sandy trails in the boreal forest.  (Berries in August and white tails in October.)  Conditions can be swampy and soft if it has been raining and we occasionally have to deal with snow in September.

New Post
1/30/2018 9:41 AM

Both have there uses and I would make sure at some point I had them. Don't neglect heavy rope too. I have used it with my Hi-lift to get me out of mud before. If you pull it until all the stretch is out and it is taut you can then drive out in 4X4 with the rope providing a "rubberband" like assist. Just make sure you get out before you stop or you will have to reset.

New Post
1/30/2018 6:49 PM

Never had any problems with a static tow strap. Just make sure you add a good load rated (double catch) come-along to your setup to take the slack out of the system prior to activating the hi-lift.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/30/2018 9:58 PM

Thanks all.  I'll experiment with everything before I head out too far.  I'm fortunate that there are sturdy spruce trees no more than 20' off the track which makes any kind of winching easier.  My guess is that the "tire lift" accessory will be the most help.  (That, and a couple of teenaged sons that I tend to bring along...)

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralChains or strapsChains or straps