Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSleeping bags (2018)Sleeping bags (2018)
Previous

Next
New Post
2/1/2018 2:29 PM

Sleeping bags (2018)

Kind of inline with the Tipi and Tent thread.

What are some good recommendations for 0 degree mateable sleeping bags?

Is synthetic still the safe bet?  Or is a high fill power down bag worth a look?

What does it take to mate or pair two sleeping bags?  Just same size zippers but on opposite sides of the bag?  Would a double zipper bag (left and right zip) be the best option? 

Could you zip two Mountain Serapes together to make a double wide overbag?

Do you have to be in-love and cold to make this work or just married?    

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
2/1/2018 6:46 PM

My research has led me to believe that the FF Penguin is THE solution for a couples turn-key sleep system:

http://featheredfriends.com/down-slee...gs/penguin.html

You only have to buy/carry one bag, and you have the option of using it as a single bag or a couples quilt. The removable hoods appeal to me as well. Price rules it out for many though.

Western Mountaineering makes a semi-rectagle bag that zips completely flat that I'd considered making a penguin-style zip-on pad sleeve for, simply because it seemed easier to find the WM used, but unfortunately both brands hold resale value very well.

Many sleeping bags use similar zippers, so even mating across brands would be pretty easy, but finding left and right zip bags that both parties agree on could be tricky, and you are carrying more weight with two complete bags. If you just wander into a sporting goods store with a good selection and start trying zippers (or even bring in one of your bags if you already have one you want to use) you will likely find at least a few options.

I haven't seen any new technology that has changed the down vs. synthetic conversation from what it has been for the last several years.

New Post
2/2/2018 6:43 AM

If weight / size isn't an issue...I like my two Wiggy's bags. I hate his newsletters, dealing with him was a pain, but the bags are durable, zip easy, and a good price. And you can wash them at home / laundromat with ease.

The rectangle ones mate up easily, and in the summer open flat for just use as a blanket.

I only offer this based on the possibility of a trailer / car camping. I wouldn't want to put a Wiggy's in a backpack.

New Post
2/2/2018 10:56 AM

Thank you both for the replies!

Fowler, tell me more about your preference for ~900 fill weight down bags. Is the fear of a down bag getting wet overrated? Does the warmth to weight ratio outweigh the possibility of it getting soaked? What ground pad system would you recommend?

CollinAshmore, I have an old Wiggy's "woobie" that has been through the mill adn still holding up. I know his bags are heavy but those that have used them a lot sure seem to like them.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
2/2/2018 1:10 PM

As long as the zippers mate, good to go. I've routinely mated various combinations of the different TNF synthetic bags that I have. Left and right doesn't particularly matter -- usual configuration is one bag on the top, one on the bottom. You can adjust for temperature by choosing to have a lighter weight bag on bottom or on top. Use a pad mating kit to keep pads together. Even if you want the bags side by side, it doesn't matter if one person has the hood on top and one has the hood on the bottom. Heck, I prefer to run my sleeping bag hood on top anyway if I'm not using the Mountain Serape as an overbag. Yes, two Serapes mate together quite nicely for an overbag.

I think with modern shell materials, the down getting wet thing isn't a huge concern. That being said, the weight difference between syn and down isn't very significant when you compare like-sized bags. And the cost difference is huge - buy a single down bag (one worth having - 900f from a good maker), or outfit the entire family with nice synthetic bags. Down has the advantage of being much more compressible and also more comfortable over a wider temperature range.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
2/2/2018 10:02 PM

I actually don't have a real preference for 900 fill, and didn't realize the FF was only offered in that now, I think they used to offer lower fills as an option? From discussions I've had with down merchants 750-800 seems better to me. Price seems to go up exponentially with fill power, and durability actually goes down a bit according to some. Also as a percentage I think higher fill powers are more effected by moisture then lower fill.

For me the draw to the FF is mostly form factor, if I could find the same system in other fills or even synthetic I'd be happy as a clam. Unless I can find a good deal on a used one I'll likely never own one.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSleeping bags (2018)Sleeping bags (2018)