Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralAmtac Blades Northman non serrated Amtac Blades Northman non serrated
Previous

Next
New Post
5/11/2019 9:38 AM

On Instagram I saw that some of you are running this:

Amtac Blades Northman

How does it perfom Backcountry tasks, I.E. Fire prep (Batoning) food prep and general tasks of that sort?

I look forward to replies.

New Post
5/11/2019 4:32 PM

I haven't tried battoning with it, but think it might be a bit short. Other then that, so far no complaints for daily tasks. I really dig the sheath setup and size. It is easy to drop in a pocket.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/16/2019 6:37 PM

It is interesting to see a resurgence in the popularity of the small to medium sized fixed blades! An ergronomic 3-4" fixed blade with a GOOD sheath sure covers a lot of bases.

I wonder how would this compare to the Esee 3, HM, or RB in a similar sheath set up?

The ferro rod/sheath is neat. I would be interested in Bills's rational for using the blade edge as apposed to a squared spine for throwing sparks. I'm sure he has a reason. Just wonder what it is.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
5/16/2019 9:25 PM

Anthony,

This is Bill Rapier, here is my take on some of your questions. Full disclosure Amtac Blades is our company. We live in the mountains in Idaho and heat with wood, I think I used my Northman blade 4 or five times this season to baton wood while making a fire in the morning. It is not the best blade to baton with, but because it is in my pocket it ends up being the one I use. As for food prep, I regularly use the blade to check steaks or to eat with when camping. I did skin a nice whitetail with it last year, again it is no where near the best skinning knife, but it was in my pocket when the time came. Hope this helps. 

Bill

New Post
5/16/2019 9:34 PM

Strow,

I believe it would be better if the spine was sharp enough to throw sparks. It is something that we are working on right now. In the mean time I do not see it as a huge disadvantage to use the cutting edge of your blade.  I have probably used my blade 15-20 times to make a fire with the ferro rod with no significant wear.

Bill

New Post
5/17/2019 4:50 PM

Gentlemen, Thank you for the replies.

The best tool for the job is the 1 you have with you and it seems like this knife would be easy to carry.

The Sheath that comes with the Northman is neat.

It looks like it has a space in the back that a piece of Hack saw blade would fit nicely in to use to spark the ferro rod

New Post
5/21/2019 8:15 AM

I'm very interested in this blade… considering selling several pieces in order to try one. Please keep us updated as to how you like the tool.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralAmtac Blades Northman non serrated Amtac Blades Northman non serrated