By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You are able to update your settings at any time.

Cookie Policy

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser, and then subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things that a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly Necessary Cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website e.g. logging in etc.

Cookies:
  • .ASPXANONYMOUS
  • .DOTNETNUKE
  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • CV_Portal
  • CV_Store_Portal_Cart_21
  • CV_USER
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_21
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance Cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited or how you navigated around our website.

Cookies:
  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional Cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting Cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWiggy’s  sleeping bags Wiggy’s sleeping bags
Previous

Next
New Post
1/19/2020 12:05 PM

Does anyone here have any real world experience with Wiggy's sleeping bags? Positive or negative. Looking for advice to see if they're a bag I want to invest in?

New Post
1/19/2020 3:08 PM

I was issued one of the Wiggy's sleep systems back in the late 90's - a dual-bag setup, but I don't recall which nomenclature. FWIw, in my experience they were good at that time, but bulkier and heavier than I would have liked (although a definite improvement over the cotton-shelled green maggot....). I do still have it in the attic as a bag for the son or visitors when need be, but don't use it for backpacking given some of the newer bags out there. 

New Post
1/19/2020 3:45 PM

Very bulky. Heavier than advertised. That is based on several different models I’ve owned. I would consider one to leave in my truck, but wouldn’t backpack with one.

New Post
1/19/2020 6:00 PM

I have a pack ready to go with a compressed ultima Thule inside. It gets thrown in whatever vehicle at the spur of the moment. Works well for spending almost all it’s time compressed. Planned nights out get a higher performance bag that should not be stored compressed. Performance being measured in breathe-ability and weight. I find the ultima Thule a bit clammy.

New Post
1/19/2020 6:12 PM

Thank you guys for the reply. I have a nice western mountaineering but am wanting to try a synthetic and the seemed to be decent for the price.

New Post
1/20/2020 8:30 AM

There are many out there in that price range, or lower, that will be much better suited to backpacking. The Hills like (or least used to) the NF Cat's Meow, and that's what my son and daughter-in-law have. Lightweight and compressible for the temp rating. There are generally deals on last year's model if you look around. Otherwise they run about $180 or so full retail.

New Post
1/20/2020 12:03 PM

I've used everything from a Wiggy bag to down-filled quilts & bags that cost well north of $500 and they all work under the right set of circumstances. For most benign uses the worse thing that can happen (if you choose poorly) is a little discomfort and some inconvenience. However, if I were doing something outdoors where life and limb could be on the line, I'd choose NOTHING but an appropriately rated Wiggy bag.

Wiggy bags are made from laminated Climashield and they cannot be readily compressed when compared to other synthetic insulations. But, when you consider the fact that Wiggy bags are rather conservative in their temp ratings and the others are rather optimistic, the disparity in size and weight isn't that great.

I've found that most folks don't really do an apples-to-apples comparison (width, length, shell material, zipper, long-term durability, etc) when they compare sleeping bags.

New Post
1/20/2020 2:32 PM

CCH o was looking at the mountain hardware lamina -30 when I came across the wiggys. Wiggy’s seemed to have a nice system but so much controversy talk about them. There is definitely no middle when it comes to these bags either people love them or hate them with a passion.

New Post
1/20/2020 2:35 PM

41magfan what wiggys do you use? Have you used it down to it’s rated temp or past it? I ask because as my post above says people either hate them or love them. I definitely like the 2 bag system.

New Post
1/20/2020 4:57 PM

ShaneRuth wrote:
41magfan what wiggys do you use? Have you used it down to it’s rated temp or past it? I ask because as my post above says people either hate them or love them. I definitely like the 2 bag system.

I bought my first Ultra-Lite (20 deg) bag about 20 yrs ago. I've used it in the 20's wearing nothing but a short sleeve t-shirt, skivvies and my hiking socks. I'm confident I could use a 30-35 Deg Wiggy bag down into the 20's wearing a base layer or light clothing …. which most people do. I have another UL bag with the Overbag system …. I intend to just try the Overbag as a stand alone some day.

Wiggy bags are hard use items having durable zippers and robust fabrics. They aren't built to be light or compressible for its own sake.

I used to prefer high-end down bags/quilts (WM or Katabatic Gear) for short backpacking trips. They're light, they compress well and the moisture build up (from body perspiration) isn't an issue in most cases. But like I said, if my life depended on a sleeping bag, it wouldn't be a down product by ANY maker and it sure wouldn't be a non-Climashield synthetic.

Regardless of the marketing spin, there are only two general types of synthetic insulation; continuous filament and chopped staple. Neither are new and neither have demonstrably changed in many decades … they just keep changing the name. Climashield is the only CF insulation that I know of that's readily available to the consumer.

I find that a disproportionate number of people that don't like Wiggy products have never used them and many just don't like the proprietor …. and I get that, but it is what it is.

As a point of context, I'm a convert to quilts and my current kit consist of a 20 degree Climashield product.

New Post
1/21/2020 5:34 PM

I might grab an over bag to give them a test. Run it over one of my down bags and see how I like it.

New Post
1/22/2020 10:43 AM

Shane,

What quilt are you using now with ClimaShield?

New Post
1/22/2020 12:36 PM

Elk Chaser60,
Hit up 41magfan he is the one using the climashield quilt.

New Post
1/22/2020 12:49 PM

My Climashield quilt is made by Enlightened Equipment.

https://enlightenedequipment.com/quilts/?_bc_fsnf=1&Insulation+Type=Synthetic+%28APEX%29

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWiggy’s  sleeping bags Wiggy’s sleeping bags