Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralRuck Training LoadoutRuck Training Loadout
Previous

Next
New Post
6/14/2020 8:06 PM

For reasons beyond the scope of this site, I no longer get to do things like weightlift, high-impact calesthenics, or all the other things that kept me healthy and fit as a young guy doing things in places. 

BUT - I also don't want to give up the ghost entirely!

For the past 4 months I have returned to rucking as a way to get some supplemental, non-body-weight exercise in. Mostly using a Mystery Ranch ASAP pack with a 25lb plate, Woobie and 3l bladder, along with an IFAK. Distances from 4-8 miles easy terrain 2-3 days a week (sue me, I'm stuck in the urban east), with 1-2 12 mile days a month to push myself. A similar distance another 2-3 days a week with a recon kit bag and the dog. 

Great. Who cares, right? Let's get to the point of this. 

My Umlindi V2 shows up tomorrow, along with a couple of back panels. Already have a 2016 and recon belt. And, I want to change up my load. Instead of a 25lb plate that does nothing but satisfy a training weight, I'm going to carry nothing but practical. 

Basically the whole "carry what you'd use" concept. 

NOT going "B.O.B." crazy here. Not saying "How ultralight can we take this and pull 2 weeks out of a 20 liter bag?" But, based off a "Level 1/2/3" taxonomy, what can I carry in the bag to get a decent workout, and yet (with minimal adjustment) roll out for an overnight or weekend with the exact same load?

- Working off the traditional "10 essentials" as a start point, with the thought of "Would this support 2-3 days in a temperate, 3-season environment?" Understanding that water-re-supply is not an issue, beyond purification/filtration.

- The HPG Taxonomy is a great start point, but last updated 2014 :( What can we do as a group to review and make sure it's still the best guide?

- Total weight must be under 40 lbs. BUT - I don't want weight for weight's sake. Yes, it is part of a workout - but if 25 lbs total means I have what I need and just push harder/faster, that's a win too.

- Any firearms/blades etc will be concealed and NOT part of the load due to local atmospherics. Think "I can carry this and look somewhat off/crazy," as opposed to "Martha, call the cops!"

- MUST fit inside an Umlindi V2 with Recon belt, medium pouch, and Admin or PALS panel. Only exception would be putting sleep system or something like a Crazy Creek on the top/bottom of the load. End result will not resemble a Gypsy camp, nor will I be adding and layering multiple bags/pouches to fit the kitchen sink.

Obviously, I have some of my own ideas and plans in place already - but I would like to hear from the great experience in this community. 

My goal is to share my final list, as well as thoughts at maybe a week and a month in. 

Mods feel free to kill this thread if out of line, but it seemed a good thought exercise to me. 

New Post
6/28/2020 9:02 PM

I train with basic kit in my ruck (not plates) for similar rationale

DD Frontline hammock (modified with Amsteel loops and a couple climbing grade carabiners)
Overquilt
Underquilt
Atlas XL Straps
DD tarp
cordage and pegs
2x 1L bottles of water
Camelback
Foot care bag (socks, powder and second skin)
Goretex rain shell
FA Kit
Brew up kit (with a couple ways to start fire)
Some kibble and a soft bowl for the dogi.
I threw a 20lb weigh in to simulate food carriage but am thinking about putting hard rations in the ruck.

Originally my idea was to train with what I carry but the more miles I throw on, the more it is becoming about just having what I need if I get locked in by weather or some other exigent circumstance.

Occasional Texan | Albertan in the heart | Living in Peace off the Red River

New Post
6/29/2020 7:55 PM

Thanks for sharing what you're carrying. I need to list mine, but I decided today I need to re-visit a few things first - as typical, I threw in a few too many things I did not need, and neglected some basics I know better than. The perils of doing most of my training in town instead of the wilds...

I'll try to get my post up by the weekend.

BUT - as a preview - the pack is fantastic! I had the shoulder straps adjusted wrong the first time (my fault, not HPG - RTFM for the win). Once I dialed those in I found myself wondering where something like this was back in the day when I was carrying ALICE or so-called "3-Day Assault" packs.

HPG hit a home run with this one.

New Post
7/1/2020 12:57 PM

I got out for a hike this morning along the Lockport Spillway.

It’s a great place for anything from a casual stroll to serious distance training.
There are more than 45 kms of trail along the route and access to many more inside neighboring Birds Hill Provincial Park

Some more kit came in this week from HPG and I was happy to have the time and space to get out and use it.
-Original Kit Bag v2
-HPG Wind Cheater

As a first go I was particularly happy with the Wind Cheater.
Although it’s been hot as b*lls lately today was much cooler and the wind was blustery - funneling along the rather open Spillway.

I found thermal regulation to be a bit more of a challenge with the Kit Bag on but am chalking that up right now to unfamiliarity and just needing to get more kms under my belt.

Full disclosure - I threw the wind cheater on last night to walk dogs before bed in the torrential downpour. Lol. That was one way to confirm that the space age material is more of a wind thing that a moisture protection thing.
I’m sure there is much written on it but sometimes you’ve just gotta throw something on and see what its real boundaries are.

Dogs:
We've got four of them. Yes. Four

Ash - the purebred American Pitbull Terrier (Black and white cow lookin') male
Ripley - The Brindle colored Pit X female (a rescue with some serious dog aggression issues)
Tina - The "bring back" Shepherd X female from my Wife's Tour in the Sinai Peninsula a couple years back
Zhora - My winter companion Husky X female (just about 6 months old now).

I’m no longer sure who the big hikes are for. Probably good for all of however.

My wife needs to train with what she works with.
In this case a 64 Pattern jump ruck which I collected parts for and then assembled over the last year.

A buddy in 3VP (Airborne tasked) gave me the frame and A7A straps and I was able to acquire the rest.
The issue CF ruck is, in point of fact, widely recognized as a piece of crap. And many folks (Jump qualified or not) will opt for the old school jump ruck as it is still an approved item.
Pain Is Inevitable; Suffering Is Optional. And so we elect to prepare foremost with fitness, followed closely by careful choices in field kit.

The trail itself is amazing area to hike through.
Manitoba in general is a beautiful Province. Much like Minnesota's "Land of 10,000 Lakes" if you can’t find something to interest and challenge you in Manitoba you just aren’t trying very hard.

Hiking the trail requires literally zero skill in navigation.
The trail is well marked with signage every kilometer and larger signs every 5 or so with "you are here" area maps showing nearby attractions.
But the well-marked distance does provide a unique training opportunity to practice estimation of travelling distance using dead reckoning.

Today we used our Chrono Watches to record our moving time.
Every kilometer we recorded the results.
As it turns out, our pace per kilometer is 9 minutes and 45 seconds with an almost boring reliability.
In fact this result repeated itself Km after km after km

1 km in roughly 10 minutes.
This translates for us to 100m every minute of tabbing

At the culmination of the hike used this information for her to practice time estimation for travelling a known distance as well as to estimate distance travelled on an unmarked segment (last km marker to truck in parking lot.

It was a great way to kick off Canada Day and we plan on repeating through the long weekend. More weight more distance.

Occasional Texan | Albertan in the heart | Living in Peace off the Red River

New Post
7/3/2020 11:23 AM

gopik that was a great post and pictures. Looks like a good place to get some exercise in.

New Post
8/29/2020 5:41 PM

> Pain Is Inevitable; Suffering Is Optional.

Nah. Suffering is mandatory, it forms character and builds the soul. Pain is a warning that you're at a limit and about to break. Squats are uncomfortable and they make you a man. Deadlifts, done right, are suffering and they make you a monster.

As to what to put in/on the ruck, everybody has a different picture of the terrain and weather, and a different tolerance for those, however one thing I found useful when setting up a ruck for exercise is the MSR Dromedary Bag Water Reservoir. It's a 10 liter bladder, completely full, will hold about 22 pounds of water (1 liter == 1 kilogram == 2.2 pounds *roughly*). It's got lashing points on the corners and is a moderately tough bag.

The handy thing about this is that if you've run out of water you can drink it, or if you've bitten off more than you can chew you can dump it without much cost or environmental impact.

New Post
8/30/2020 4:59 PM

Petrocc - good idea on the bladder as a variable weight. Although, in this case I'm not using one - I actually pulled the hydration bladder I *was* carrying in the pack after about the first week, because I just didn't like how it carried and everything packed. So, now I'm running external bottles only.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralRuck Training LoadoutRuck Training Loadout