By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You are able to update your settings at any time.

Cookie Policy

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser, and then subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things that a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly Necessary Cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website e.g. logging in etc.

Cookies:
  • .ASPXANONYMOUS
  • .DOTNETNUKE
  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • CV_Portal
  • CV_Store_Portal_Cart_21
  • CV_USER
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_21
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance Cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited or how you navigated around our website.

Cookies:
  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional Cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting Cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralLevel 3 Gear List 2021Level 3 Gear List 2021
Previous

Next
New Post
12/15/2021 7:29 AM

Many of you have probably seen the level 3 gear selection video I did a handful of years ago. As with all things, what I carry has evolved. Also, that video was about generalities. This is the specific items I carried on my last trip.

HPG qui-Ya with Connor Pocket and SAR Kit Bag

Sleep System / In camp

• Big Agnes insulated air core sleeping pad - it was adequate for the temps, but barely. I may switch out for a higher R Value pad or add closed cell on top of it for my next winter trip.
  • REI 1 person tent - don't know the model, they appear not to make it any more. I had an unusual number of bug disruptions this summer in my floorless tent, plus I sleep easier when the dog can't get out at night so I'm using a double wall right now. I don't like how fiddly the REI tent is to set up but it has been working OK.
  • Klymit luxury pillow and Sea to summit luxury pillow - I'm a side sleeper. Two good pillows makes a big difference in sleep quality and sleep quality is important.
  • Cabelas XPG 15 degree down bag - This was my first down bag I got on closeout when Bass Pro got rid of everything that made Cabelas good. It's a high quality down bag with lots of loft and lots of compressibility. Pretty light. I don't remember if it has the waterproof down feathers. When I got home and pulled it out of my pack, it was soaked due to the ice and condensation that formed inside my tent. Perhaps due to the dog that went to sleep at my feet with ice on the outside of his coat. I got to wondering what it would be like climbing into that wet lumpy thing the next night. No thanks. Next trip my TNF snowshoe synthetic bag gets the nod.
  • Wild Things Primaloft booties
  • Crazy Creek Hexlite chair

Primary Clothing

• HPG synthetic long sleeve top
  • HPG Windcheater with fur ruff
  • Marmot synthetic puffy I got on closeout
  • Milsurp patagonia micro puff over pants
  • (I have been thinking about going back to backpacker mountain serape instead of those two)
  • First Spear contact gloves
  • ragg wool fingerless over gloves
  • heavy weight socks
  • HPG polartec beanie
  • Crispi Nevadas

Backup Clothing

• HPG synthetic long sleeve top
  • two pair socks
  • liner socks
  • VBL socks (newspaper bags)
  • OR gridfleece hoodie
  • long underwear bottom
  • OR Foray rain coat
  • REI gaiters
  • buff wear thermonet

Eating / water

• Lots of various granola bars
  • chocolate covered cashews
  • Peak Refuel meal
  • Starbucks peppermint mocha via
  • Chamomile tea
  • GSI halulite minimalist with trangia alcohol stove cook system
  • heavy cover canteen cup for melting snow if need be
  • 3 nalgene oasis canteens
  • empty platypus 2 liter bladder
  • sweetwater guardian water filter
  • spoon

Camera Gear

• Canon Powershot G3x
  • detachable viewfinder
  • spare camera battery
  • Slik mini tripod
  • Rode mini microphone
  • lens wipes

Emergency Gear

• Trekking poles
  • S&W M&P 5" barrel .40 with light
  • fiskars slide out saw
  • Robust First Aid Kit
  • Small field repair kit
  • 50 feet or so of thin amsteel line
  • hillsound trail crampons
  • HPG Coyote Knife
  • Sunglasses
  • spare usb streamlight microstream
  • extra roll tp
  • petzl bindi headlamp
  • inreach mini
  • signal mirror
  • water purification tabs
  • fire starting kit (x2)
  • small baseplate compass
  • foam ear plugs
  • surefire ep3 ear plugs
  • battery bank
  • area map
  • backup spork

Pocket Gear

• leatherman sideclip
  • lighter
  • chapstick
  • streamlight microstream
  • phone with delorme earthmate and extensive basemaps loaded
  • kershaw emerson CQC-11k D2
  • wallet and keys

I probably missed a couple of things but that's most of it.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
12/15/2021 7:46 AM

How are you liking your Crispi Nevadas?
I’ve been using the Uninsulated versions for the last year with custom Sheepfeet orthotics and they’re easily my favorite boot thus far.

IG: TheWyldGoose

New Post
12/15/2021 8:57 AM

Was there anything you missed having or wished you'd brought along?

New Post
12/15/2021 9:55 AM

Crispi Nevadas - stand by for my longhouse hiking boot video releasing on Monday

What did I miss having? - this was a cold trip. Cold. Usually I don't like messing with a woodstove, but this had me re-thinking that for my next trip. However, my zero degree bag plus a warmer pad could well have been plenty. The woodstove or not woodstove question is largely about how you want to spend the dark hours. I pulled into camp pretty much at dusk so I was going to bed anyway. The next morning, it would have been nice to start a woodstove and get a good warm up, but I was also up and moving at first light anyway and warmed up through activity and the sun just fine. In general, my rule of thumb has been that if I'm moving camp every day, a wood stove isn't worth messing with. Trade offs.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
12/15/2021 10:58 AM

evanhill wrote:
Crispi Nevadas - stand by for my longhouse hiking boot video releasing on Monday

Looking forward to it!

I just recently gave mine the Crispi Cream waterproof treatment, which I probably should've done right out of the box. Better late than never, we just got our first snow here in Rim Country last night. 

IG: TheWyldGoose

New Post
12/16/2021 3:19 PM

Thanks for the list, which light do you have on your M&P?  

New Post
12/16/2021 5:08 PM

The light is a streamlight TLR7

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralLevel 3 Gear List 2021Level 3 Gear List 2021