Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralAire core mattress in-field repair?Aire core mattress in-field repair?
Previous

Next
New Post
2/11/2014 9:21 AM

What do you carry for in-field air core mattress repairs?

Do you build your own kit or buy a small pre-made one?

How often do you have a blowout or leak?

What has worked, what has not?

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
2/11/2014 10:04 AM

I have had more issues with the valve than the mattress, but I use a ground sheet. The one time I got a leak was when we were forced to stag out after dark in a lava rock area, and I ended up getting a small puncture. I just use the thermarest repair stuff that comes with the Neo Air.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/11/2014 5:52 PM

I carry mcnett's tenacious tape for field repairs.  This is a relatively inexpensive flexible nylon backed tape with excellent adhesive.

Fortunately, I haven't had to patch my sleeping pad yet (exped synmat), but I have used the tape successfully on pants, bags, and a tarp.  It's worked for me on nylon, nylon/cotton, silnylon, and even wool.  I was going to follow up on the pants by restitching the hole, but the tenacious tape has held up for 6 months and multiple washes without any problem.

Might be worth a look.

New Post
2/11/2014 7:49 PM

Thank you!

I will look into both.

Scot any suggestions for the valve?  

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
2/12/2014 6:16 PM

Don't gorilla fist, but as far as repair. I am unaware of one.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/13/2014 9:50 AM

I like the Thremarest brand repair kit. It's superior to other cheaper repair kits in that the adhesive is is separate pouches, so it doesn't dry out once opened. I've only had a leak once in the course of about 5 years. Repairing it in the field saved my trip. If I can't get a good night's sleep I turn into a braindead hulk.

http://www.rei.com/product/867238/therm-a-rest-permanent-home-sleeping-pad-repair-kit#reviewsTab

That Mcnett's tape has been on my wish list for a while. Time to move it to the shopping cart. I like multitaskers.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralAire core mattress in-field repair?Aire core mattress in-field repair?