By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You are able to update your settings at any time.

Cookie Policy

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser, and then subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things that a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly Necessary Cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website e.g. logging in etc.

Cookies:
  • .ASPXANONYMOUS
  • .DOTNETNUKE
  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • CV_Portal
  • CV_Store_Portal_Cart_21
  • CV_USER
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_21
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance Cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited or how you navigated around our website.

Cookies:
  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional Cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting Cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsVehicle Mobilit...Vehicle Mobilit... Backcountry/Adventure Bike Recommendation Backcountry/Adventure Bike Recommendation
Previous

Next
New Post
9/2/2020 2:26 PM

Bought my son a MTB for his 13th birthday and he's taken a shine to some light trail adventures.  I haven't been on a bike for close to 20 years, but I used to live in Marin county CA and rode some pretty technical single track back then, but never considered overnight/wilderness travel.  Now I am, as a way to increase his exposure and provide another excuse for me to practice my skills. 

Looking for his bike, I see the biking world has become vast and much more expensive than I remember!  I got him a Haro Flightline One for just general tooling around and he loves it.  My question is for anyone that uses a bike for backcountry destination travels like backpacking (bikepacking?), access to remote hunting spots, or pleasure riding single track and/or fire roads:

What style of bike am I looking for?  Hybrid? Sport Hybrid? Adventure Touring? Straightup hardtail MTB?  Not sure how the geometry differs in performance vs comfort etc., what is good what is not good component-wise. A few I'm looking at online....nobody has anything to see in person near me due to the 'rona:

Giant Roam

Specialized Pitch or Rockhopper 27.5

Haro Flightline 27.5

Trek Marlin 5 or 6

Any input will be appreciated.  Info on mounted racks/packs is welcome too.  Thanks!

New Post
9/3/2020 8:04 AM

You said he has a bike but you are looking for a newer one?  For a 13yo, I'd look for a used 26in Mountain bike, no walmart crap.  No derailleur cheaper than Alivio.  LX is much better.  You want a decent shock (Rock Shock) but I'd stick with coil sprung.  Find a frame that he will grow into and put a really short stem on it so he can get a few years out of it.  I just bought a Trek 970 with all LX/XT components, new Bontrager tires, for $275.   I was the first to call and I paypaled a deposit, his phone rung all weekend until I pick it up.  They are out there

What is his inseam/height?

New Post
9/3/2020 12:26 PM

I apologize for not making it more clear, but the bike I'm asking about for is for me.

New Post
9/4/2020 9:14 AM

Sorry I misunderstood you.  I'd look for a hardtail with a coil 100mm travel front shock.  Could be a used 26 or a newer 27.5 or a 29er.  Everybody is going tubeless, I'm not there yet.  The old Shimano component pantheon was, STX, Alivio, LX, XT, XTR.  I think Deore replaced Alivio/LX.  They still call the upper end XT and XTR.  XTR lightens the bike a tiny bit and your wallet a LOT. You'll have to research the new SRAM components on your own. Just about all bikes have disc brake, I'd go for mineral oil/hydraulic over mechanical.  Something like a Bontrager XR3 or a Mythos XC3 for tires (decent traction/easy rolling).

Mountain bikes are divided up into:   Cross Country (mostly hardtails, very light), Trail (likely full-suspension), and Enduro (rear suspension, long-travel front 140mm or more).  My next bike will likely be a Trail, with "plus" tires (2.6in wide).  Probably a Giant Stance.

New Post
1/4/2021 8:34 AM

I bought a Santa Cruz Heckler off the showroom floor in 2013, then promptly broke my arm on it the same day messing around in front of my brother in law's house. After that, the bike sat mostly unused for quite a long time. When the pandemic hit, I suddenly found myself with a whole lot more time at home with my sons (oil/gas industry works that way). So we started riding again. I bought my two oldest new bikes, as they had outgrown theirs. Things have changed a ton in the 7 years since I bought bikes! The geometry is slacker. Suspension that wouldn't have been out of place on a down hill bike ten years ago is now commonplace on run of the mill trail bikes. Nobody sells 26 inch wheeled bikes, except for the occasional dirt jumper. The industry standard has also gone to a single chainring on the front, referred to as 1X, which is simpler and more robust. Shimano is still at the top of the heap component wise, but SRAM has joined them with their Eagle groups.

All that being said, a good trail bike, hardtail or dual suspension, 120-140 mm travel, hydraulic discs, 1X drivetrain, will get you through the huge majority of trails out there. What I would recommend would be maybe renting a bike or two from your local bike shop and ride them to get a feel of what you might prefer. When you're out on said trails, take note of what others are riding. Ask them about their bikes. The huge majority of mountain bikers are super friendly and wont pass up a chance to talk about their rig. Get a feel for what you like. Then once you have a good idea what you want, start checking out bike shops, online or otherwise. As brands, go, the further your price range goes up, the more options you get. Consider some of the direct to consumer brands, like Polygon or YT. They offer a ton of value by removing the bike shop markup from the equation. Kona, Giant, and Jamis also offer good value. The website Pinkbike also offers a great Buy/Sell section where you can get great deals on used bikes.

Ride, ask questions, do research, and ride some more. You won't be disappointed.

New Post
1/4/2021 6:56 PM

I ended up getting a NOS 2018 Marin Pine Mountain. Old school steel frame w/rigid fork. It ticked the boxes that needed ticking, plus it was available locally....which in these strange times accounts for more weight than normal. Fun bike, responsive, 2.8" meats on it, and is readily adaptable to do the type of trail riding & bikepacking that has taken my interest.

I also found a 2020 Giant Yukon 1 fatbike locally, and it came home with me too. Learning to ride a fatty in the snow is lots of fun, and I think the 4.5" tires will be a blast in the warmer months as well. Funny, this all happened by getting my 13-year old a decent hardtail and now I'm ass-deep into it as well! Haha! Looking forward to plotting out some remote pedaling in the remote Northwoods as well as locally in the Kettles. If anyone is into bikepacking and has some info to share, please keep posting up!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsVehicle Mobilit...Vehicle Mobilit... Backcountry/Adventure Bike Recommendation Backcountry/Adventure Bike Recommendation