Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGFS Wind Cheater (with an HPG version underway)FS Wind Cheater (with an HPG version underway)
Previous

Next
New Post
1/11/2017 8:08 PM

I get what you mean by the Wolf. It is too cool of a color giving it that bluish look in certain lighting conditions. It's not terrible, but If it was warmed up a bit it would work better in the city and the backcountry. The Manatee Windcheater material does not have the blue undertones and is one of the better solid colors I've seen for blending into a variety of environments, including urban.

New Post
1/12/2017 7:50 AM

I hadn't appreciated how well the manatee colour fits in so well in so many environments. Those are the best photos I have come across to show just how well it works. This is definitely my next purchase...it will then be a toss up between my coyote one and this new one but, I will hold off to see the RG one. The FS pics do not show it very well. The agony of choices!

New Post
1/17/2017 5:49 PM

Any ETA on the next shipment of ruffs? My WC looks naked without one...

New Post
1/19/2017 11:19 AM

We are expecting to have Ruffs in by early-mid March. Hopefully we have some sooner but that is the estimated time frame.

New Post
1/21/2017 8:14 PM

Is there much difference in size between the FS version and the HPG version across the back and sleeves? I have a Large FS Windcheater and the body fits great, but the sleeves feel too short across the back, and whenever I lift my arms up, or raise a rifle/pistol the sleeves pull. It's fine for around town, but very annoying if I'm doing anything with aerobic movements.

I'm 5'11 (180), athletic build, not ridiculously muscular, and I didn't think I had knuckle dragger length arms until now!

I'm between a Large in t-shirts, L/XL in most mountaineering garments (Large in a MH Torch), (Large or XL in a RAB Xenon X) (Large in Montane Extreme Smock) maybe I'm just used to fabric that has more stretch/give.

So, does the HPG version have similar cut across the back and arms? If it does, then I will definitely go for the XL once Ranger Green comes in.... and live with the baggy torso.

Than you everyone!

New Post
1/29/2017 6:44 PM

I have a FS Wind Cheater in L and picked up HPG in M (it arrived yesterday). I'm 5'8' 185lb and have a lot of room in my FS wind Cheater, even with the HPG in M I can still layer under and easily conceal my daily carry rig. Now that I have both my preference in for the HPG Wind Cheater I don't use the sleeve pockets on the FS and prefer the pocket layout on the HPG. Both are in Coyote but the HPG is a little darker in color. Waiting some was patiently for the HPG Mountain Parka............ somewhat :)

Ross

New Post
1/29/2017 8:32 PM

So...you are my size. And to be clear, you prefer the M over the L?

New Post
1/30/2017 3:55 AM

I had a HPG WC, and I'm 5' 9", about 185-190, kind of leg heavy, but I have a decently broad back, and the medium was as big as I would ever want that coat to be. It looked like a good size, and I could easily fit a mid weight puff under there. I feel like I would have been swimming in a large, and the sleeves would have been way too long. In fact, I sold the M because I would prefer a small with the way I layer. I typically use something like the WC over a base/fleece layer and then put my puffy on over that when I'm stopping. I'm pretty confident that even in a small I could get a typical TNF fleece on under it and be comfortable.

New Post
1/30/2017 1:55 PM

El Mac,

Yea Mate, I would go with a M.

Ross

New Post
2/21/2017 2:29 AM

Ross wrote:
I have a FS Wind Cheater in L and picked up HPG in M (it arrived yesterday). I'm 5'8' 185lb and have a lot of room in my FS wind Cheater, even with the HPG in M I can still layer under and easily conceal my daily carry rig. Now that I have both my preference in for the HPG Wind Cheater I don't use the sleeve pockets on the FS and prefer the pocket layout on the HPG. Both are in Coyote but the HPG is a little darker in color. Waiting some was patiently for the HPG Mountain Parka............ somewhat :)

Ross

Ross,

Did you find the HPG (M), to be the same size as the FS (L)?  Can you comment and compare the body measurements across the chest, and the length of sleeves?

I had a Large FS, and found the sleeves too short. I want to try the HPG, but unsure if I should go Large, or go XL. I'm 5'11" 180, and would go XL in FS. 

Thanks again!

New Post
2/21/2017 1:26 PM

I don't know if this will help you or not. I am 5' 10" 190 with a 46" chest. I wear the L HPG WC and it fits perfect. The M would likely be too small for me. 

New Post
2/21/2017 9:12 PM

para505 wrote:

I don't know if this will help you or not. I am 5' 10" 190 with a 46" chest. I wear the L HPG WC and it fits perfect. The M would likely be too small for me. 

Thanks Para. I may try the HPG Large and see if the sleeves are different.  The FS version has very pronounced articulated sleeves which were annoying IMHO. I emailed HPG, and was told the FS version has changed their sleeve design from previous runs, but the HPG version will stay the same. 

New Post
2/25/2017 12:54 PM

Is that a manatee/ranger green Windcheater Evan is sporting in one of the pictures on the main page?

New Post
2/25/2017 1:23 PM

Yup, coming soon

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/25/2017 2:28 PM

Great news. I have been looking forward to the two color Windcheater since it was mentioned last year. Thank you.

New Post
3/7/2017 9:11 AM

Has anyone had a chance to do a hands on comparison of the windcheater vs a Kuiu guide jacket? Although there are some differences, perhaps most notably the fact that Kuiu has a micro fleece lining, the general applications for these garments seems quite similar. Would be curious to hear thoughts from anyone who has actually used both, and if they noticed substantial differences in performance.

New Post
3/7/2017 9:51 AM

Zacht - I had a Guide Vest and the Chinook Jacket and can categorically say the WC is far superior.  Its quite a bit lighter and the length of the body, the ability to layer more underneath and the lack of constriction (as with a lot of Kuiu's stuff) make the WC win every time.  That is only my opinion, of course.  I find the WC far more versatile and comfortable.  I always struggled with the constriction in the sleeves of my Kuiu stuff and have parted with it all (less the Chinook Jacket which I am trying to sell off).

The Kuiu stuff is still great at shedding rain / snow, a bit better than the WC but, the versatility of the WC when worn over a t-shirt, baselayer or a fleece / puffy jacket is what sold me on it.  I have used WC like garments for many, many years (think windproof smock) and I always found it a vastly superior item to keep in the tackle box over niche jackets.

Hope this helps.  The WC will not disappoint you.

Craig

New Post
3/14/2017 8:39 PM

I live in Seattle and everything I buy is "Alaska Fit"... :)

When are the ruff's coming back in stock?

New Post
3/18/2017 10:44 AM

FWIW my experience with Wind Cheater Sizing:

I'm 5'9", medium+ framed, weigh about 195. I have a Large HPG Wind Cheater and it fits me pretty much like the first post in this thread said it would. I can concur with the observation about size creep over the years. I have a medium Columbia windbreaker from 1999 and a large Columbia fleece from 2015 - IDENTICAL fit.

In most brands, I wear XL for my outer layer, Large for my mid layer and Medium for base layers. A comfortable fitting T-shirt for me would be Large.

The Large fits me like most brand XL's do, including my OR Foray Rain Jacket.

I can wear a fleece layer under it AND a Patagonia Down Sweater Jacket. Two layers. But because it's not a super heavy weight jacket, I can also wear a fleece layer under it and the down jacket OVER it just fine. No issues with range of motion in either setup.

The Large on me is a very versatile size. It's not bulky or sloppy but loose enough to do whatever I want with it. If I was looking for something "athletic fit", like a for a baselayer only + jacket trail running combo, my GUESS is a medium would be better for the job. I'm guessing medium would be the right size to look my best at the office. I haven't tried one on though so it's just a guess.

Love my jacket! I'm sad it's warming up and I won't be able to use it as much.

Hope this helps.

New Post
3/30/2017 7:20 PM

Any update on when we might see wind cheaters back in stock for size XL? Or the two tone availability?

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGFS Wind Cheater (with an HPG version underway)FS Wind Cheater (with an HPG version underway)