Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGqui-Ya backpackqui-Ya backpack
Previous

Next
New Post
7/12/2016 8:56 PM

how long are the qui-ya stays? Should they fit completely inside the stay channels or extend out of the channel on the bottom and lock into prairie belt?

New Post
7/13/2016 6:22 AM

The stays extend out and lock into the 2 slots on the back of the Prairie Belt.

Check out the thread " Assembling the qui- Ya"

http://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid/679/forumid/22/threadid/20110/scope/posts/Default.aspx

New Post
7/13/2016 6:34 AM

The reason I ask is my qui ya came with 22 inch stays that fully disappear inside the slots. They don't stick out at all. Wondering if I was shipped stays for the ute rather than the qui ya. That's why I asked how long the qui ya stays are intended to be. Thanks

New Post
7/13/2016 6:37 AM

Mine measure 22.5"

FYI my Ute stays are the same length 

New Post
7/13/2016 6:44 AM

If yours measure 22.5 they must not extend beyond the stay slots much at all if you have them seated all the way at the top of the stay channel. I measure that channel to be about 23 inches. Seems like the stays should be at least 24 inches for this pack so that they fully occupy the stay channel and still can lock into the belt. The issue I'm having is the stays are sliding down into the belt slots and therefore are no longer occupying the top of the stay channel, which doesn't seem correct to me.

New Post
7/13/2016 7:13 AM

I'm thinking those are the Ute stays. If no one else is able to chime in this morning I will stop by my house at lunch and measure both of them.

New Post
7/13/2016 7:35 AM

The qui-Ya stays are 26.5" if you have 22.5" stays they are for the Ute. Send us an email at info@hillpeoplegear.com, and we will get it sorted out.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/13/2016 8:40 AM

Thanks for confirming Scot.

New Post
7/17/2016 10:19 PM

So I got the proper stays in time for a weekend trip thanks to some great customer service by HPG. One additional question though, should the stays extend above the top of the stay channels at all when locked into the belt? I notice about 1/2 inch extending currently.

New Post
7/18/2016 6:59 AM

zacht wrote:
So I got the proper stays in time for a weekend trip thanks to some great customer service by HPG. One additional question though, should the stays extend above the top of the stay channels at all when locked into the belt? I notice about 1/2 inch extending currently.

No, they should not.  Back them out of the channels toward the bottom a wee bit.  Up at the top of the channels, feel how the top of each channel has a sewn end.  There is a little "pocket" sewn in there that the end of each stay routes into.  When you advance the stay up the channel from the bottom, just carefully manipulate the packbag a little so that the stay routes into that pocket.

Hope that helps!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/18/2016 9:17 AM

I didn't notice the sewn in pocket when I was tinkering with the stay setup, but I'll take a closer look and try and get this thing set up properly. I'm a little concerned about being able to lock in the belt with the stays "lowered" in the channels, as I imagine this will push the belt lower by about 1/2 inch. Maybe adding a bit more curve into the stays will help with this. We shall see this evening. Thanks for the advice. 

New Post
7/27/2016 5:54 PM

Thank you for getting the correct stays to me promptly. Great customer service!

New Post
1/22/2017 10:12 AM

I'm in the snowy mountains right now and testing qui-Ya... what an awesome pack! Mountain explorer's dream! Loaded mine with 50+ lbs inside plus iceax, crampons, poles, snowshoes... heavy hauling is not an issue with HPG harness system.

New Post
1/22/2017 1:39 PM

And here's me in a more sloped terrain...

New Post
1/30/2017 5:56 PM

In the snow...

New Post
3/2/2017 4:29 AM

FInally finished my full review of Qui-Ya...

https://packconfig.com/review/review-...

New Post
3/9/2017 8:00 AM

That was a great review.  I just ordered mine and it's on the way and should be here Saturday.  Can't wait to get it set up and try it out.

New Post
3/9/2017 9:05 AM

Piter - what is the shell jacket your rocking with in the Qui-Ya review?

Craig

New Post
3/19/2017 1:40 AM

Craig, sorry for late replay (been traveling). It's TAD Gear Spectre. Awesome hardshell, made for worse outdoor condition ang rough terrain. Just not as light and as packable as newest hardshells from Arcteryx (Alpha SL). But will survive anything... SL line won't, my buddy learned it the hard way.

New Post
8/17/2017 6:57 PM

After 6 months of debate and procrastination I ordered a Qui-Ya about a month ago. I have been doing training hikes with it for the past 3+ weeks. 40 lbs, 1000' of steep rocky vertical each hike. My findings thus far are, I don't really notice anything about the pack as I hike, which is really an ultimate compliment. I reviewed trail running shoes for about ten years. Two reviews a year and I found the very best shoes were the shoes I didn't notice anything about, didn't really even think about. They were doing their job.
The Qui-Ya seems to be that pack.
I love the HPG shoulder harness and the Prairie belt is well thought out, extremely functional and very comfortable.
The Qui-Ya is simple, which I like, yet it has excellent compression and the wand/bottle pockets, which to me are a necessity.
I'll do one more week at 40 lbs. then bump up to 50 for two weeks before going to 70-75.
The way the HPG harness and hip belt lock in and support, I have no doubt the results will be very similar.
I have been on a mission to simplify many aspects of my life and out side of several, historic packs, I am now down to two packs; the Qui-Ya and a Tarra. This is from someone that has had in excess of 25-30 packs at a time.
The name Qui-Ya and it's connection to Qui-Yaga don't hurt as one of my labs is named Medjed, Serbian for Black Bear.

More to follow.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGqui-Ya backpackqui-Ya backpack