Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindi ReviewUmlindi Review
Previous

Next
New Post
10/11/2013 6:20 PM

What a great informative post, thank you Sir.

New Post
10/11/2013 6:39 PM

Thanks!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
10/12/2013 7:02 PM

Another great write up mate, I appreciate the effort. I definitely agree on most points you made.

New Post
10/13/2013 9:06 AM

Alpendrms -

Great post, thanks! A very nice write up of what HPG offers. 

A quick question for you- what is the velcro based pistol holster/spare mag carrier you have in your kit bag? I'm sure it's been discussed before, but if you have a quick link to the product or an idea of which forum thread i would love to learn more about it

thanks

New Post
10/13/2013 7:52 PM

gm2011 wrote

Alpendrms -

Great post, thanks! A very nice write up of what HPG offers. 

A quick question for you- what is the velcro based pistol holster/spare mag carrier you have in your kit bag? I'm sure it's been discussed before, but if you have a quick link to the product or an idea of which forum thread i would love to learn more about it

thanks

Here's what you're looking for (copy and paste the below link):

http://www.itstactical.com/store/nylongear/its-holster-insert-gen-2/

$14.99 from Imminent Threat Solutions.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
10/13/2013 10:14 PM

Very much appreciated! Thanks again for posting your write up

New Post
4/19/2014 8:12 PM

I know old thread, this is a great review as I am trying to decide which pack to order but more curious if any one can tell me what knife model that is on your pack, looks like a Randall?

New Post
4/19/2014 8:34 PM

Thanks!  The knife is a Blackjack Model 125.

New Post
5/13/2014 12:13 PM

Excellent review Sir. You have achieved your goal to increase HPG's business, at least in part, as I was on the fence about this pack until I read your review. I am currently waiting, patiently, for my Umlindi to arrive in the mail. I would be very interested to see a list of what items/products you selected for your CGB project and the differences between the variants you constructed. I am a bit of a gear whore/nerd myself and would like to compare and contrast your choices with mine for my own edification. I like to learn wherever and wherever I can. Either way, Thank you for your time and input on this pack, a very thorough and well written review.

I ask your pardon but remind you that "Warm and Fuzzy" are not in my job description.

New Post
5/22/2014 8:52 PM

Ken,

Found this post by accident while surfing pintrest for hunting packs, deffinatly going to keep this post in mind when I start upgrading some of my hunting gear. I do have a couple of questions regarding your lever action. Is that the original wood stock or is it an aftermarket synthetic? If it's wood did you have any problem painting it? Did you rattle can it or dip it? What kind of finish is that on the reciever and barrel? And finally what kind of sights and mounts are you running. I'm wanting to spruce up an old Marlin 336 in .35 that has been around the block a few times and I wouldn't mind doing her up similar to yours.  Thanks.

JD

New Post
5/23/2014 5:15 PM

JD,

Glad you liked the review!  The Umlindi really is a great pack.  

As for the Marlin....yes, that is the original wood stock.  I carefully sanded it, then did a rattlecan job, using twigs and pine needles as stencils and then finished it off with a matte clear coat spray..  You can Google search and lots of hits will come back for "How to camo paint a wooden gun stock", or something to that effect.  

The finish on the reciever and barrel is Cerakote.  A friend of mine that I knew from my active military life had a side business set up.  He went to the Cerakote school to be certified and everything...he did a great job on it.  

The Sights and Lever Scout rail are from XS Sight Systems, which is the Lever Scout rail, rear ghost ring and front blade.  I then mounted a Leupold 2.5X Scout Scope on it with low QR rings.  You can get the full package XS sight system for your Marlin from Brownells (www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/rifle-bases/marlin-1894-1895-336-308mx-lever-rail-sight-system-prod31861.aspx).

Hope that helps!

New Post
7/2/2014 1:42 PM

What are the chances of this set becoming an off the shelf item from SOLKOA? I'd really like to put something like this together anyway, and I'm working on it now actually. No 'lindi pack to put it in yet, but I'm working on that too. I've been following this thread since it was first started, and just renewed my interest in it while looking at a few job opportunities OCONUS. 

Thanks 

New Post
7/2/2014 2:44 PM

Quote:
praharin wrote

What are the chances of this set becoming an off the shelf item from SOLKOA? I'd really like to put something like this together anyway, and I'm working on it now actually. No 'lindi pack to put it in yet, but I'm working on that too. I've been following this thread since it was first started, and just renewed my interest in it while looking at a few job opportunities OCONUS. 

Thanks 

Well, I can't speak for Bart Combs (CEO of SOLKOA), but you could certainly contact him at SOLKOA and ask if buying a fully-kitted out one is in the realm of the possible.  The worst that can happen is that he says no.  However, I don't envision him saying that.  I bet he would work with you on getting hold of one.  Always worth a try!

New Post
7/3/2014 11:42 AM

My Umlindi has replaced a Kifaru MOLLEX  that I've had quite a while. I can get more "stuff" in the Lindi than the larger MOLLEX, due to the shapes of the two packs.  I can use it for travel, EDC, day-hunts, you-name-it.  I need to find the ideal size roll-top pack liner for it so I can leave various pre-loaded kits ready to role inside the pack.  Also I plan to take the same approach with compression panels, IE, one that is "TSA approved", one for hunting, and one for EDC.  I'm thinking the PALS panel will be perfect for treestand whitetail hunts, as the Lindi with PALs panel can be hung off the tree with everything there at your fingertips.  The Attache is my next purchase. 

I've discovered that a Kifaru E&E makes a pretty good compression panel on the Lindi or Ute as well.

New Post
8/1/2014 1:49 PM

Sir,

great review. 

I really like the way you think out-of-the-box in combining all the different kit.

A quick question: The picture in your posting of 10/8/2013 12:14 PM shows a couple of bags (the outer most bags) on the prairie belt. What are the model/brand of those?

I'm also interested in the model/brand of the small lightweight bag between the drinking bottles, if you have that.

In advance, thank you

Claus "Claude" S. Andersen
SERE Instructor
Denmark

New Post
2/25/2016 3:52 PM

Thought I would re-post this review, since there has been a lot of Umlindi discussion of late and also because I truly believe this pack is a shining example of what a versatile pack should be.  

I love my Ute and it is my overall favorite.....but on so many of my overseas trips, often involving several days on the ground....the Umlindi has consistently performed at a level that I really doubt could be equalled by just about any other manufacturer.

New Post
12/1/2016 8:18 PM

Awesome review, moved up to the top of my list for creation of a bug out system.

Does there exist a list of the actual contents of the kit created for DOJ?

Thanks for the great info!

Matt

New Post
12/2/2016 4:55 AM

http://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid...Scooby_d wrote:
Awesome review, moved up to the top of my list for creation of a bug out system.

Does there exist a list of the actual contents of the kit created for DOJ?

Thanks for the great info!

Matt

There is.  If you contact Bart Combs (CEO of SOLKOA / S3 Survival Systems), he or one of his people can give you a complete run down of the components in it.  The components can also be tailored to customize it for the end-user.

Write to: http://www.fast-fire.com/contact-us/

New Post
12/2/2016 8:40 PM

Thank you sir.

New Post
4/8/2017 12:47 PM

For those that are using a Dromedary MSR bladder, which is the better fit, the 4 or 6 liter when full?

Reference: https://www.msrgear.com/catalog/product/view/id/16286/s/dromedary-bags/category/7/

The measurements for both seem perfect for the Umlindi. I'd like to see how the 6 liter fits in case anyone has it.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindi ReviewUmlindi Review