Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindi ReviewUmlindi Review
Previous

Next
New Post
5/19/2017 1:06 PM

ajumpingbean wrote:
For those that are using a Dromedary MSR bladder, which is the better fit, the 4 or 6 liter when full?

Reference: https://www.msrgear.com/catalog/product/view/id/16286/s/dromedary-bags/category/7/

The measurements for both seem perfect for the Umlindi. I'd like to see how the 6 liter fits in case anyone has it.

My 6l dromlite fits , and probably takes up a little more than half the space in the umlindi, although I didn't compress it very much,

New Post
6/23/2017 8:07 AM

Great review, Ken! Currently organizing gear for a fly-in caribou hunt and don't really want to tie up 7+ pounds of weight in my cargo hauling backpack. I'm contemplating taking only my Umlindi to be used as a day pack while hunting and then to pack boned meat back to camp if we get a caribou down. Thoughts on this?

New Post
6/23/2017 10:54 AM

kevhans wrote:
Great review, Ken! Currently organizing gear for a fly-in caribou hunt and don't really want to tie up 7+ pounds of weight in my cargo hauling backpack. I'm contemplating taking only my Umlindi to be used as a day pack while hunting and then to pack boned meat back to camp if we get a caribou down. Thoughts on this?

Thanks!  I think the Umlindi could do it...but I would definitely want it married up to a Prairie or Recon Belt, to help support the load of meat in the pack.  That said, depending on just how much meat you expect to carry in it, you might be better off with a Ute.  I love the Umlindi, and I've managed to take it out pretty close to its reasonable limit, especially during my jungle trips.  However, one thing to keep in mind is that you can make a Ute just about as small as an Umlindi...to the point of even using the Ute as a carry-on bag....but you can't make an Umlindi as big as a Ute.  You can get close with adding things like an external pocket such as the Pals or Tara, and top capacity with the M-2016 or an HPG Stuff Sack, but after that, it's tough to make the Umlindi have still more capacity without sacrificing comfort and agility.  If you think that the amount of meat you expect to put in the Umlindi is reasonable, and as long as you don't have to carry too much personal sustainment gear with you, it should handle the task just fine.  I've had upwards of 50 lbs in and on mine before and it still carried nicely...but that was with a belt docked to it.  Hope that helps!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/23/2017 11:08 AM

Your insight most definitely does help. Forgot to mention that I do have a Recon belt as well as a Tara and stuff sack. I'm pushing 60 and had knee surgery back in February, so I've determined I'm not going to push my limits packing meat on this trip. Based on what you've told me and on my own gut feelings about the Umlindi I'm going to go with it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindi ReviewUmlindi Review