Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGAdvice on Umlindi Pack and PocketsAdvice on Umlindi Pack and Pockets
Previous

Next
New Post
7/2/2017 7:19 AM

I've decided to change my EDC pack to the Umlindi. 

I'm wondering what the general thoughts on which pocket would suit my needs better; the Connor or the Attache?

I already own a Tara and Connor pocket, so I guess the question is am asking is whether buying the Attache is going to give me anything more than I currently have? Primarily I carry my MacBook, Kindle, GoPro, Camera and watches in my current 30L pack. I've decided to move from a compact camera to a larger DSLR and a lense or two.

Thanks! 

New Post
7/2/2017 3:12 PM

I don't own an Attaché, but my colleague does.  I have a Connor.  I think between the two....the Connor is going to give you more capacity to carry the things you've listed.  However, I would think you would want to place the heavier items like your MacBook, DSLR, etc. inside the main packbag of the Umlindi, so that they are closer to your body for better load carriage.  I am assuming that you intend to dock the pocket to the Umlindi.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/2/2017 4:50 PM

I didn't think you could dock a Connor to the Umlindi? Or I mean, not that you can't, but that it isn't a good fit.

New Post
7/2/2017 5:08 PM

CollinAshmore wrote:
I didn't think you could dock a Connor to the Umlindi? Or I mean, not that you can't, but that it isn't a good fit.

You know, I have not tried it on an Umlindi.  I do think you're right, Collin.  I am pretty sure you can....but I don't think it is the right external pocket on the Umlindi.  The Pals or Tarapocket fits a heckuva lot better.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/2/2017 10:45 PM

Yeah, I think the pocket would be docked to the pack most of the time. There's also a 2" height difference, the Connor at 21" and the Umlindi at 19" so a Connor might look a little weird.

I'd definitely keep the DSLR and the non-flat pieces of gear in the main compartment of of the Umlindi, but if I went with the Attache I would keep the Macbook and accessories in the Attache. I did wonder whether the slot pocket of the rear of the Umlindi would take a 15" Macbook, that would probably mean I could go with the Umlindi and my "spare" Tara pocket and Tara Insert.

Maybe the Aston House would also fit the bill...

Also looking for an excuse to buy a Qui-ya.

Life is hard.

New Post
7/2/2017 11:55 PM

I figured a little more back ground information might be helpful.

I work a four week rotation overseas and travel during my time off so the pack will be the permanent home for the items stored in it and will mostly be used as a travel bag with some occasional light day pack usage.

New Post
7/3/2017 10:36 AM

I have mounted the Connor on the Umlindi with the Butt Pack on top of the Umlindi. It works but is kinda busy.

New Post
7/3/2017 10:44 AM

I have the PALS pocket on mine and like it, but the new Aston pocket looks ideal for the Umlindi.

New Post
7/4/2017 5:51 AM

Thanks for all your responses!

Ccombs, I think I saw your post on it FrankenPack?

I've decided to go with the following, I think it's going to work out pretty well:

I'd love to be able to get rid of the loosely filled duffel bag for my clothes. I have to check it every time I fly... my clothing is pretty streamlined as it is, but what I've decided to try is going to mean taking a closer look at it.

Umlindi
Attache
Tara Pocket
Compression Stuff Sack

I'm planning to use the Umlindi for my compressed clothes, wash bag and the DSLR and the rolled Tara Pocket. Then the MacBook and bits in the Attache.

If I need additional space I can swap out the Attache for the Tara Pocket and if required I can remove the clothes and attach them to the bottom of the pack.

What do you guys think?

New Post
7/4/2017 6:38 AM

Sounds like a pretty good plan.  That combo ought to give you a good bit of flexibility and versatility.  

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGAdvice on Umlindi Pack and PocketsAdvice on Umlindi Pack and Pockets