Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie Belt sizingPrairie Belt sizing
Previous

Next
New Post
4/19/2014 12:34 PM

I want to buy a Ute soon.  I think 33"+ would be my size: my waist is 34"-35".  Would it fit my son if he borrowed it?  He's about a 32" waist.  Would a 27"+  hip belt be too small for me?  

Thanks,

Keith

New Post
4/19/2014 4:33 PM

The key is to get a full wrap of the padding around the front of your hips.  The 27 might work for you if you get that wrap, but without trying it you wouldn't know. Based on your waist size the 33 is probably best for you to, but would be to big for your son. 

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/20/2014 1:35 AM

Thank you, Scot.  I'll probably go for 33"+, as the 27"+ might not wrap right around my pelvic bones if I were wearing several layers of clothing.  I know you have a good returns policy, but I live in England and sending items to and fro across the Atlantic is expensive: UK Customs often work slowly and once tried to tax me a second time for a Gossamer Gear pack I had modified.  In the past, tax here on American goods I have bought has not always been levied.  When it has been, the tax itself has been around 20% of the goods' declared value and the Post Office charges up to $18 to process this payment: there's a lot of complex administration involved in taking our money, as you can imagine.  Assuming I do get clobbered, I'll let you know the exact costs, so that you can advise future UK customers.  If my lad desperately wants to use the Ute, I'll encourage him to put on weight.

I'm trying to decide whether I'll need a Tara Pocket or a Tarahumara in addition, or neither, as part of this generous retirement and thoughtful gift to myself.

Keith

New Post
4/20/2014 9:51 AM

Keith,

Just a thought, but it might be worth checking into whether you could save yourself some money by ordering the Ute and accessories through HPG's distributor in Germany....TACWRK (link is on HPG's Home Page).  I'm not sure if ordering from Germany into the UK is less expensive, but it might be worth a try and the TACWRK site looks like they have most of the Hill People Gear line available.  I completely understand your troubles with ordering from accross the Atlantic.  I've ordered some specific pieces of climbing equipment from England and Scotland in the past...from places like Needle Sports, the Mountaineering Council of Scotland, and DMM in Wales....because I couldn't find a source for some specific items that I wanted for some alpine climbing in the US.  I paid through the nose for the UK items, that's for certain!

Also, I had an idea that may help regarding the Prairie Belt sizing.  If you ordered one in the 33"+ size and your son wants to borrow your pack, you might be able to sort of "take it in" by using the paracord that comes on the back of the Prairie Belt.  You could untie it and remove the cordlock, and then re-route the paracord through the final set of PALS webbing along the belt, pulling it tight and tensioning it thus.  This should reduce the overall length of the Prairie Belt and hopefully make it just short enough to allow your son to use it, at least to an adequate level.  I've got the same size Prairie Belt and I fooled around with the idea to see if it would work, and it seems to.  It shouldn't cause any discomfort to your son, as that the "taken in" tensioned part would actually be captured underneath the Ute's lumbar pad section.  It might be just a bit bulkier.  Worth a try, if you get the 33"+ size.

Good luck in your quest to aquire your Ute!  For what it's worth, if you are successful in getting one I'm pretty sure you will be very happy with it.  I absolutley love mine.  It would be a wonderful pack for you to use on outings there in the UK, elsewhere in Europe, or just about anywhere.

Cheers!

Ken

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
4/20/2014 2:04 PM

Thanks a lot, Ken.  I checked out TACWRK but they do not have the Ute in stock and they were charging  $814 for it, $239 for the Tarahumara and $415 for the Umlindi, considerably more than they would cost buying direct from HPG, even allowing for shipping from the US and taxation: I'm not against companies making profits, but this mark-up is inordinate, to the extent that I do not feel I can trust the organization.  They seem to be marketing their goods to military, police and security units, some of which have a very relaxed attitude to spending public money.

I'll go for the 33"+ belt, and will follow your suggestion if William wants to use the pack.  I really appreciate your detailed explanation.  Your enthusiasm for the pack is encouraging.  Everything I read from or about HPG convinces me that Evan and Scot are great people to deal with.

All the best,

Keith

New Post
4/20/2014 3:13 PM

WOW!  Those are some seriously insane prices that those TACWRK people are charging!  That is so incredibly expensive I wonder if any HPG gear is even being sold over there!  There must be quite a number of extremely rich outdoors people running around Berlin.  If they are targeting sales to military and the like, they are getting ripped off.  I remember when I was working in Afghanistan that there was a European (Danish, I believe) tactical gear shop on the infamous boardwalk on KAF (Kandahar Air Field).  This shop had bumped their prices, as well.  Not as high as TACWRK, though!

Sounds like you may have to just bite the bullet and get the Ute from here in the US.  

Hope you get your Ute soon and get out to do some great hillwalking with it.  You've got some beautiful land to take advantage of over there in the UK.  I've spent some time in Scotland and England years ago when I was active duty US Army and loved it there.  My family and I are planning to come back for our 25th wedding anniversary in a couple years.  We plan to go back to Scotland, as that I've got distant "Clan Galbraith" relatives near Loch Lomond, and my grandfather's family hailed from the Hebrides.  We also, of course, plan to run around in London a little.  

The temporary mod to the Prarie Belt for your son's use of it will hopefully work well enough.  Careful......your son will probably fall in love with your Ute and not want to give it back!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
4/20/2014 3:42 PM

I've just ordered the Ute and the Tarahumara, Ken.  I was backpacking in the Cairngorms last week .  I try to get to Scotland  twice a year - usually Skye or the north west coast, which are both stunning.  Lugging a heavy old Macpac up hills convinced me I needed a better carrying system, whence these purchases.  It's still easy to walk for two or three days in Scotland without seeing anybody and wild camping is permissable virtually everywhere unless people are stalking deer or shooting grouse.  The only drawback is the midges in summer, though arguably they stop the whole country being turned into a theme park.  I'm sure you and your family will have a great time there.

Keith

New Post
4/25/2014 8:44 PM

for what it's worth I have  a 30" waist and as long as both pads are in a 33"+ hipbelt is not to big for me. I have a 27"+ hipbelt and have to take one of the pads out or else it is too small.

New Post
10/1/2017 8:12 AM

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but seemed the best place for this

Anyone have any suggestions for how to make a 33" Recon belt a little shorter? :oP Also, if the Recon belt is a little too long, how would a Prairie belt of the same size be?

By tape measure over a t-shirt I have a 34" waist, the pants I have that fit are usually marked 33", 34" tends to be a little loose and 32" a little snug, however the 33" Recon belt is too big (actual size is 33 7/8"). I cannot get full compression, I simply run out of room to tighten into and end up with a little more load on my shoulders than I would like. Weird, because I have a second hand Kifaru Omni Belt that is 33.5" that works fine, cinching down fully. The Omni belt I ordered new to fit is a little shorter still. Looks like the difference is where the buckle is attached relative to the ends of the belt. The Recon has no overlap between belt and buckle, whereas the Omni belt does.

Assuming that I don't get any fatter (I know, I can but hope!), and at a future date want to buy a Prairie Belt, what size would I be better to look at? Based on the comments above I am not real confident that a 27" would fit me. Also, I am weighing up what to do with the Recon so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie Belt sizingPrairie Belt sizing