Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGModifying idea for the UteModifying idea for the Ute
Previous

Next
New Post
5/6/2018 2:03 PM

I really love my Ute but i’m having an idea to improve it (imho for myself).

i was thinking of taking the topzipper away and putting a roltop (drybag closure) and toplid (brain) on it so i can use this pack year around.

i only need a 50 ltr  pack for summer and a 60-65 ltr pack for winter so i think this would wotk for me.

any thoughts thnx?

New Post
5/6/2018 7:15 PM

I'm not understanding how that would improve functionality. What problem are you trying to solve?

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/7/2018 11:21 AM

If you're looking to add volume with the roll top I'd suggest you just move up to a qui-ya. I do think this would be a good idea on the qui-ya packs for some extra volume.

New Post
5/7/2018 12:56 PM

Roll tops and storm collars suck for adding volume. Unless you're a good and particular packer, you end up with an unsupported load at the top of the pack. The Ute and qui-Ya both are built to take a stuff sack (like a 915) crossways at the top of the pack underneath the over the top straps. This gives you an extra 1500ci for 2 ounces and does it in such a way that the load is well controlled. I've used this method to carry entire other 3000ci backpacks (kid's backpacking load) cross ways on top of my packs. It's heavy but otherwise feels like a very controlled load.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGModifying idea for the UteModifying idea for the Ute