Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGTarahumara w/ Aston Pocket Thoughts, Examples?Tarahumara w/ Aston Pocket Thoughts, Examples?
Previous

Next
New Post
10/16/2017 5:32 PM

I've been waiting for the Aston Pockets to come back into stock.  Wondering if the Tara and the Aston Pocket really fit well together, or is it something that can be strapped together, but...?   Does it complicate the ease of use of the Tara, .... so on and so forth?  Appreciate some feedback and possibly pics.

New Post
10/16/2017 5:38 PM

My take is, no they don't go well together. The Tara is a light and fast pack. If you need more space go bigger. The other issue is you will have to remove it everytime you wanna get in the Tara.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
10/16/2017 5:42 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the honest answer. Kind of my thought but, I do like the idea of the two together. 

New Post
10/17/2017 3:35 AM

I'm also waiting for the Aston Pockets to come back into stock. My question is does the Aston pocket and the Conner pack go together ?
I have seen a few photos and asking for your advice please team.

New Post
10/17/2017 12:07 PM

Basically the same answer. In my opinion, both packs excel at what they were designed for, but lose a lot of that when you start adding pockets and belts, and such. In addition, like the Tara to access any of the pockets on the Connor you would need to remove the pocket. Honestly, a Connor with Aston pocket is pretty dang close to being a Aston House, so I would just get that instead.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
10/21/2017 7:17 AM

Well, the Pockets are back in stock.  Decisions to be made; gambles taken.  Plus, the tarainserts are also restocked.  Thoughts on these?

New Post
10/21/2017 2:58 PM

When I start thinking about strapping extra pockets and such to the Tara, it's just time to grab a bigger pack (like the Umlindi).

I find that the Tara is a good three season pack for me when I'm buy myself. When I'm supporting a family hike, the Umlindi comes out. I just bought the Umlindi in March, but it will be my solo pack for this winter, probably with the Tara docked to it as a pocket.

I don't run an insert in my Tara, I just keep everything in four different dry bags to keep it organized. I do run an insert in my Umlindi for my weekly trip into Portland, as it helps keep lots of little bits and bobs organized.

I don't have any pockets for the Umlindi (other than the Tara) but I'm contemplating either a Pals or Aston pocket for some quick access organization.

New Post
10/21/2017 8:50 PM

I have been using the Aston pocket on my Tara for about 2 months on a daily basis and it works well for me. I have my IFAk and a few other items on my tara insert and use the aston pocket for frequent use items. I can access the items near top of tara without disconnecting Aston pocket. Works well for me.

New Post
10/22/2017 4:56 PM

Thanks RMEAV8R,  are you attaching the Pocket with SR buckles on the top of the Tara and G-hooks on the bottom?  If possible, could you email me a photo of your tara w/ pocket setup?

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGTarahumara w/ Aston Pocket Thoughts, Examples?Tarahumara w/ Aston Pocket Thoughts, Examples?