Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhat's in your TarahumaraWhat's in your Tarahumara
Previous

Next
New Post
12/20/2011 8:14 AM

Great looking gear! I have a NEF 22MAG that is 35". If I add a low profile scope will it fit in the bag and be easy to remove?

Keep up the fantastic work,

Gary

New Post
12/20/2011 10:03 AM

We will see what we can do about the photo.

I assume you mean in the slot pocket. So far optics seem to be a no go, but we haven't tried everything. The flatter the rifle is also better.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/30/2011 4:07 PM

Whats under my Tara? Just picked up a bike bag and for those who don't have a bike, it does make a great long external pocket that fits perfectly under the Tara. Using the shock cord or rigging it with spare lifter straps it rides great underneath the Tara

New Post
12/31/2011 10:01 AM

Nice idea. Now you've got me thinking of ways to spend more money :-\

New Post
1/1/2012 4:15 PM

That is cool, but I think I'd just use a regular stuff sack unless you need the durability of the 500d bike frame bag under there.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/3/2012 6:19 PM

My Vortex Recon compact spotting scope fits perfectly in the bike frame bag- and it allows me to deploy it without having to take off the Tara.

It also works well for me when I need to give my dog a reward toy like a bite tug. It's not it's intnded use, but I like the set up and durability alot.

New Post
1/24/2012 7:47 PM

Any idea on when a compression panel set up will be available? Also what would be the best way to run it on a kifaru navigator, what bits would I best using?

Cheers Andy 

New Post
1/25/2012 5:41 AM

I'm in the same boat.  I'd like to mount one of these on my Gen 2 Dragonslayer for use as a compression panel and to increase it's capacity.  Could we get a pic tutorial on how it's designed to mount to different packs once the comp panel kit is up? 

New Post
1/25/2012 12:47 PM

Alright guys, I didn't realize there was this much interest in using the Tara as a compression panel. I was going to wait on the compression kit until we finalize the Highlander (bigger brother to the Tara), but I'll get the compression kit in the works this week. The compression kit is pretty straightforward, and relies almost exclusively on ITW G-hooks. In the meantime, I'd recommend getting ahold of some G-hooks. They will solve almost all of your mounting needs.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/26/2012 3:00 PM

Thanks Evan, they look like a good solution. However does anyone know where I could find some high quality foliage green webbing? I've been looking but I couldn't find any anywhere.

New Post
2/1/2012 1:49 PM

I'm starting to get my Tarahumara setup dialed in to my satisfaction. I'm also starting to use it more and more -- it's just so light and rides so well relative to my day and a half pack, it's hard to pass up. Plus, I do use the carbine stashing capability from time to time. I've got a couple of goals with this setup. One is for longer or more backcountry hikes in conjunction with my Kit Bag (that setup is covered elsewhere). The other is for a casual day hike without the Kit Bag, so there is some overlap between what's in my Tarahumara and what's in my Kit Bag. On a side note, typically I wear my pistol IWB with the Tara. Without a hipbelt to interfere, very little reason not to carry my pistol where it normally goes. Explanations out of the way, here's the list:

• 1.25 quart hydroflask. This has the same OD as the 1.5 quart nalgene, but is double walled and therefore temperature stabilized
  • 1.5 quart nalgene.
  • Stainless cup that fits on the bottom of the 1.5 quart nalgene
  • Either puffy pants and jacket OR Mountain Serape. The pants and jacket get the nod for mountain biking with the idea that I can ride a bicycle with them better than a MS. Otherwise, the MS gets the nod
  • Gerber slide out saw
  • Purification tabs
  • Starbucks via packet
  • Spoon
  • Headlamp
  • lightweight sharpener
  • Fire starting kit - magnesium and steel, a bunch of cut up bicycle inner tube squares, trioxane bar, lighter
  • First Aid Kit - This is not my "backcountry" kit. the difference is that the backcountry kit has more of each thing, a whole range of medicines, and a NOLS first aid guidebook. This kit is mainly geared towards boo boos, and basic trauma stuff (irrigation syringe, wound closure packet, tweezers, tylenol with codeine)
  • toilet paper

The water rides in the slot pockets, and everything else is inside. There are only a couple of additions to be made -- I've got an Integral Design silnylon poncho/tarp on the way that goes with this. It will probably ride underneath. Also, for travel in even less watered country, I'll add 1 or 2 bike bottles full of water on my shoulder straps. If carrying a longarm, a bottle would only be on the support side.

New Post
2/3/2012 12:07 PM

I received a very good question via email, and thought I'd post my answer here:

You ask a good question – how much weight do you actually want riding on a shoulder harness alone (even a super capable one like ours)? The load I was carrying this morning was 17lbs, split between Kit Bag and Tarahumara, all of the weight borne by the shoulder harness. I think I’d be willing to go up to about 20lbs between the two and after that I’d really start wanting a setup based on a lumbar pack. Interestingly, even with a *really* good lumbar pack (one I made myself), the comfort of that particular load bearing systems tops out around 25 -30 lbs. Beyond that weight, you’re getting into day and a half pack territory (minimum height of 22”, some kind of frame, and load lifters on the shoulder straps).

New Post
2/5/2012 1:41 PM

Received my Tarahumara Friday afternoon and put it to use yesterday with a day trip to Mount Mansfield. I just wanted to make a quick post to note that the hydration bladder I asked about in a separate thread does indeed fit in the space behind the padding. I’m looking forward to plenty of more days in the hills with my new pack!

My new Tarahumara. (ii)

My new Tarahumara. (iii)

New Post
2/13/2012 10:08 PM

Just 2 pics of me with my Tarahumara pack and my little one (Evan BTW ) during an afternoon walk in the woods:

More details of the pack set-up:

I'll try to do detailed pics of the content later... Just to tell quickly the small Kifaru Stuff Sack underneath contains a wool blanket with a large safety pin (it was too small for the Serape alone), the medium Kifaru Stuff Sack on the side contains the Serape plus 782Gear Midlayers (a bottom and a jacket, I could have compressed the vest also). On the right side, my choice for a bottle was a Swiss Army Canteen with its cup... For the main bag, I was surprised at how much I could fit inside.

Best regards,

Rod

New Post
2/17/2012 10:16 PM

It's interesting to me all the different pockets and stuff sacks people are able to carry under the straps. I'm curious how comfortable the additional bulk is. My loadout is very similar to Evans. I carry the MS, a liter titanium pot, pocket rocket and 1 gas canister, 1 homemade freezer bag meal with cozy, a stihl folding saw, and if if things pack good and it calls for rain a homemade rain coat made of sil nylon. In the outside pockets I carry a 1 liter bottle of water, and if I'm hunting open country I put my shooting sticks in the other side with the kifaru field chair.. Under the straps I carry a 12x18 piece of old sleeping pad so I don't have to sit in the mud. The rest of the possibles goes in the kit bag. I also sometimes put my telescoping fishing pole between the pad and pack if I think I might try and slay a few crappie. With all this stuff packed it makes the Tara quite a rock. I figure once the highlander comes out I'll transfer this loadout to it and this will make the pack and repack a lot easier.

New Post
2/18/2012 11:37 AM

Ozark, I think you're rolling a little heavier than I am. Your use of the wand pockets seems spot on. Beyond that, there are only two ways that I'd lash something to the outside of my Tara -- 1) a smallish roll on the bottom like a coat underneath the parachute cord, and 2) a vertical stuff sack of almost any size carried directly on the back on top of the zipper underneath the compression straps. The Tara is only 4" deep, and the harness is overkill, so a largish stuff sack that's as tall as the Tara itself lashed straight on the back will carry plenty comfortably with minimal suspension rounding. Even moreso with relatively lightweight insulation items like a Mountain Serape, homemade cagoule (that thing really is cool Ozark), or heavier gloves and hat. Ozark, that's what I'd experiment with if I were you.

New Post
2/19/2012 6:56 PM

After going out snowshoeing twice this weekend with this pack I've fallen in love with it.  It has definately become my single day go-to.  When my daughter got tired of the snowshoes on her feet they lashed perfectly to the back of the tara and I didn't even notice the weight.  

All I had in it today was a hardshell, msr pocket rocket, matches, coffee, isobutane canister, gloves, 2 bottles of water, some snacks, and Grace's msr tyker snowshoes.  

I LOVE it.

New Post
2/20/2012 9:22 AM

The Typical load out for my Tarahumara on an Outdoor jaunt:

2. 32 oz bottles( Usually metal of some sort)
1. Granite Gear #2 stuff sack with cook kit.(Snow peak 600 and 300, large and small Squishy bowls, homemade Alcohol stove, 4oz fuel bottle, spork, and any food I have for that day.)
1. Med. Kifaru  Mesh Pullout with First Aid and Hygiene items. ( any other little doo dads I may need)
1. Shemagh
1. 5x7 rip stop Silnylon Tarp( cordage)
Any layers that I may need or have taken off are stored on the bottem of the pack with the Sinch system.

1. Small Nylon Kifaru Pullout attached inside to Hydration Tab. ( This stays in the pack always as storage for small items, as pack is used to carry my lunch and Ipad to work daily.)

New Post
2/20/2012 11:01 AM

Ty -

Is 5x7 big enough to sleep under?  Where did you get the camo tarp?

It's good to see so many USN people here!

New Post
2/20/2012 11:59 AM

Hi Todd,

I know, saw the HPG action over there, then you guys showed up here too....

The Tarp is good for a lean to or a "pup type bivey with a ridgeline" Don't think it's good for long term, it will get ya out of the sun or rain. or as a Ground cloth with a larger tarp. I carry it for a multi use item.

I belive it's made by Etowah outfitters for "bushcraftoutfitters.com" It's the MEST-Standard in their store.

Thanks

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhat's in your TarahumaraWhat's in your Tarahumara