Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralTents, not the Skittles varietyTents, not the Skittles variety
Previous

Next
New Post
4/14/2017 9:23 AM

My quest to find decent/good/excellent gear years ago somehow landed me here at HPG's doorstep. And it was a welcome find to be sure.

But the quest continues now in that there are few, very few quality tents out there that are backpackable - and to my point - that don't look like they belong in a bag of Skittles candy. May I just say: WTF OVER?!?!?!

Any of you tent manufacturers, can you please make some versions that are compatible with nature, aka earth toned, instead of this crap that looks like it belongs on a kindergarten playground?

Rant off.

New Post
4/14/2017 9:50 AM

If you are ok with the floor-less designs, check out Seekoutside. They are all earthtone.

A hunting buddy just got a Cimarron and is very happy with it. We are looking at the Redcliff for 2 adults, 2 kids, and 3 dogs.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
4/14/2017 10:02 AM

Strow, thanks....But no, floorless is not an option. Which just furthers the point. If they can do floorless,they can do floor models in earth tones.

New Post
4/14/2017 10:47 AM

You might check out Six Moons Designs if a single-wall design will suit you (although they seem to be having a distribution problem at the moment.).

New Post
4/14/2017 1:50 PM

I would say Nemo is one of the only makers of traditional backpacking tents you'll find in stores that consistently offers earth tones. Most of their stuff is electric green, but several of their tents have a grey or brown option. 

New Post
4/14/2017 2:25 PM

Thanks Fowler. Nemo had one. Just one model in a subdued scheme.

If I had any idea how to do it, I'd start my own tent company. How frustrating! I can not begin to understand the thinking behind these companies' color schemes.

New Post
4/14/2017 2:37 PM

Snugpak makes some stuff that falls into the "not camouflage but not Barbie playhouse" color palette as well.

I'm right there with you. I've found that after particularly after a couple days in the backcountry, many of those artificial colors seem jarring to the eye. 

It just seems like a measure of respect for your surrondings, not to try to hide per se, but just not to stick out.

New Post
4/14/2017 2:42 PM

Thanks Wose. Yep, you are right...Snugpak is getting there. Not many choices and kinda heavy...but getting there.

Big Agnes used to have a line, Seedhouse?, that was a subdued green - but no more! Darn shame.

New Post
4/14/2017 2:53 PM

You might also check out Exped tents, distributed by Outdoor Research.  Several of their designs can be pitched standard, but also fly-only,.  That would give you the option of having a floor or no floor, with 4 season capability.  I have an older Exped Sirius Extreme, and it has proven to be a very good tent.  Available in earth tones, as well.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
4/14/2017 5:12 PM

I was in the same boat. The Nemo Galaxi 2p comes in a good brown earth tone (as noted above). Nemo also just released some greyish hunting themed tents/bivy. Marmot also has a few green tents (Tungsten series and Limestone series).

New Post
4/14/2017 6:15 PM

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
4/15/2017 11:36 AM

I've got a Hillaberg that's about as earth toned as you can get, the Nallo 2 GT. I've only got a couple nights in it so far but I'm impressed so far.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
4/15/2017 12:52 PM

Wow! They are proud of those Hillebergs!

New Post
4/15/2017 11:11 PM

You get what you pay for. I don't think I've ever heard a single Hille owner say they paid too much.

New Post
4/16/2017 5:15 AM

Another option, which appears to be in stock.  Not green or brown, but certainly not a Skittles color.

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collec...ar-duo-explorer

I have the Lunar Solo, and I'm pretty happy with it.  If you do decide on this one, I'd advise paying the extra and having them seam seal it.  I did my own.  It turned out decent, but it was a PITA.  Either way, also add some lines of Seam Grip to the silnylon floor, to keep a sleeping pad from sliding around too much.  It's also worth buying the optional carbon fiber poles, so that you wouldn't have to commit trekking poles to the set up.

Also, here is an additional potential option, at a slightly greater weight penalty.  

https://www.backcountry.com/exped-mir...F0NzEwMDAwNDA=#

Good sale price, though.

Still another option:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/ultral...green-tent.html

And...a Hilleberg that's on sale:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/ultral...-3-gt-2016.html

New Post
4/16/2017 11:54 AM

Seek Outside offers "nests" for most of it's tents. Granted it adds cost and weight to the end product but they can be used independently of each other. The nest option adds bug netting as well as a floor.

New Post
4/16/2017 7:53 PM

I've been oogaling the Zpacks Duplex lately, haven't seen one in person yet, but they look pretty awesome on paper! Anyone have any experience with 'em?

New Post
4/17/2017 1:45 PM

I don't know what level of quality you're looking for, but REI offers tents that have a fly color that is two tone oregano/army green. Their half dome isn't going to win any awards compared to some of the high end brands, but for a 3 season tent that doesn't kick your bank account in the nuts it might not be a bad option. And the oregano/army green color looks like it would blend quite well in a wide array of landscapes.

New Post
4/17/2017 4:24 PM

Good call on the half-dome, I've always heard they are one of the better budget tents around, glad to see they have such a nice color option.

New Post
4/18/2017 10:31 PM

Ha, yes they are. I actually sold the truck top tent I've had for a few years to pay for the Hille, haven't regretted that decision once. Running it floorless I can get it down to 4lbs, for me that's light enough to justify backpacking with, and It's a palace in there too if it's just me. And with someone else there's plenty of room to get all gear inside and still have room to move around.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralTents, not the Skittles varietyTents, not the Skittles variety