Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralEDC WatchEDC Watch
Previous

Next
New Post
7/16/2017 1:24 PM

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new watch and was wondering about the opinions, experiences, and comments from this forums users on a watch for everyday use. I'm looking at the Casio G-Shock GA100. 

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-GA100-1A1-Mens-Black/dp/B003WPUU0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500232706&sr=8-1&keywords=casio+gshock+military

Ryan

New Post
7/17/2017 6:09 PM

I've been wearing a G Shock GW-6900 for the past 4 years or so everyday. I work construction and am outside all the time and it's held up great. The band is in good shape still, the screen has some scratches but that's to be expected with how hard I am on it. I will say that I love having the solar charge on it and the automatic time updates are awesome as the g shocks tend to run a little fast or slow, I think it may be +/- 30 seconds, so my vote would be get a solar g shock with the multiband 6. My next watch will be a Suunto something, they look cool and have a bunch of features but need new batteries more frequently.

New Post
7/17/2017 8:47 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'm in the trades so anything I have on gets destroyed.  Just wondering, why the switch to Suunto? 

New Post
7/17/2017 9:53 PM

I want the Suunto traverse alpha, it's a GPS watch with a boat load of features. The only reason would be for heading into the woods hunting or hiking. I will still wear my G shock daily. I looked into the rangeman because is has the triple sensor (altimeter/barometer, thermometer and compass) but when I tried it on it was definitely too big to wear everyday. 

New Post
7/18/2017 9:18 AM

I'm liking the looks of the Suunto Core and the features.

Is there a BENEFIT to analog over digital, or is it just preference?

New Post
7/18/2017 9:26 AM

Unless they have improved, the Suunto straps are pretty cheesy and fail in short order. At least that was my finding a few years back.

New Post
7/18/2017 6:23 PM

For me, this latest watch is kind of coming full circle. I wore a Seiko mechanical in the 70's and 80's, a couple of metal case Casio Quartz Divers and a G-Shock in the 90's, and then a Suunto Advizor for almost 10 years before returning to a mechanical again.

My Suunto was trouble free and I never replaced the original band. The key to making those soft bands last is to wash them everyday. Dirt gets imbedded in the material and abrades them very quickly. I washed mine along with the evening dishes every night and it held up unbelievably well. I looked at the current line-up but the newer Suunto watches don't seem to have the reputation for reliability and battery life that the older discontinued Vector/Advisor line or I would have bought another one.

G-Shocks are pretty durable if you're hard on a watch.

New Post
7/18/2017 8:08 PM

Check out Reactor watches. I have the Reactor Titan and have been happy with it. I killed a Timex Expedition in 9 months. I have had the Reactor Titan for 3 months now and it has held up well. One small scratch in the quarts. I am not a watch guru, just a guy that wears a watch. 

http://www.reactorwatch.com/?s=Titan-&post_type=product

New Post
7/19/2017 9:32 AM

I am currently wearing a Momemtum Steelix. After 3 years it is holding up as well as I could expect. It is a simple analog watch w/date. Highly waterproof (to some depth I won't ever go). The only 2 things that I have done are replace the crystal (broken when a wrench slipped and I smashed my wrist into a beam) and I replaced the original band because those nylon web ones, though indestructible, stink. A good watch for the money (~85$ on sale).

New Post
7/22/2017 5:42 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I ended up getting the Casio because I could use a lot of the features at work.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralEDC WatchEDC Watch