Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralVehicle Preparation Video and QuestionVehicle Preparation Video and Question
Previous

Next
New Post
6/17/2017 11:14 PM

Folks:

I follow your video series regularly and was impressed with the most recent edition covering vehicle preparation.  It is well done and very informative.  I keep a fairly well stocked kit in my daily ride but want to add a highlift jack and non-collapsing shovel.  I am using a Nissan Frontier Pickup with truck bed cover (shell with locking rear window).

I am relatively new to overland type treking and wanted to find out about  the best methods for stowing the jack and shovel.  I would like to keep both inside the truckbed/cover to protect them from the elements and to deter theft.  I do not just want to throw them in the bed, but want them secured in the bed in some matter.  There is a tracked system Nissan supplies for cargo tie downs but I am at a loss for how it might be used. 

If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.  Thanks!

New Post
6/19/2017 9:00 AM

This could be the answer for the hi-lift:

http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/loc-rac.html

And with the shell, you should have more options. See if you can use those quick ties (the giant twist ties) to tie the shovel to the shell itself somewhere. You can also use same to tie the shovel to the hi-lift.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
6/19/2017 9:56 AM

Quick Fists seem to be the most popular way to mount shovels in truck beds. I have them on the Stealth Rack in my Jeep that holds my Hi-Lift and a shovel. They have been pretty secure so far. I have used the Hi-Lift mount Evan referenced in trucks before and it has worked well.

New Post
6/19/2017 12:29 PM

I can now attest to how well maxtraxs work. I will be doing a right up, hopefully later this week, but if you want to be amused at my expense check out our IG feed.

I know at one point Super Badger was running a high lift mount that fit in the track system in his Tacoma. I don't now if he still is or if he liked it. I know initially he was digging it. I would see if something similar is available for your rig.

At this point I am not a fan of quick fists. To be fair I have only used them in outside mounting applications, but in my experience they are a 3-4 use item. That means I can only take my shovel off and put it back on 3-4 times before they tear, and become useless. In an interior application they may last longer, but I am done using them. I got to point I was carrying a spare in my jeep because it was a matter of if not when they broke. Now that it is time to buy another pair, I am not going to. Heck I have had better luck with just NRS straps, and that is what I may use.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/19/2017 4:59 PM

Well, that explains my current satisfaction with the Quick Fist. Have not had to take my shovel out as much as Scot. If that is their lifespan, I would find something better. They happened to come with the jack rack in my case.

New Post
6/19/2017 6:14 PM

Maybe redundant, but I backed up the Quick Fists on my Power Wagon with big black Gear Ties.  Seems to hold my shovel and axe well...a bit of load-sharing to help out those rubber tabs.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/22/2017 9:40 AM

My issue with the quick fists is not the holding ability, because in my experience once you get them tensioned they hold great. The issue is that the invariably after a few off and ons the narrow side strips start to develop a teary, which then pretty quickly tears through when you try to put them back on. It seems they need to make that part thicker or reinforce it somehow.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
9/27/2017 8:26 AM

Obviously, I cant discount your experience, but wanted to share mine, which has been very different. I have some mounted to my roof rack for holding my shovel. I've put mine on and taken it off a dozen times or more with no signs of wear that I can see. Add to that, my vehicle sits in the sun for much of the day. Just my experience. Sorry to hear yours has been much worse, Scot. 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralVehicle Preparation Video and QuestionVehicle Preparation Video and Question