Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...HPG Practical RifleHPG Practical Rifle
Previous

Next
New Post
5/3/2016 7:50 PM

scothill wrote:
If by all up you mean including scope, sling, light, etc... as all up, no. That goal was for the rifle and at least two if not three magazines to hit that price point. The three magazines part was being aggressive. I just did some very rough math, and I THINK we would have been around 2300- 2400 sans magazines, but maybe even a bit better depending on what kind of bulk pricing we could have gotten on some of the parts as most of the small parts costs were retail or for a single item rather than a batch. At that price point, we would have had to think long and hard about moving forward with the project.

Even so....the fact remains that it is well and truly a purpose-built beauty of a firearm!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
5/3/2016 8:19 PM

alpendrms wrote:
scothill wrote:
If by all up you mean including scope, sling, light, etc... as all up, no. That goal was for the rifle and at least two if not three magazines to hit that price point. The three magazines part was being aggressive. I just did some very rough math, and I THINK we would have been around 2300- 2400 sans magazines, but maybe even a bit better depending on what kind of bulk pricing we could have gotten on some of the parts as most of the small parts costs were retail or for a single item rather than a batch. At that price point, we would have had to think long and hard about moving forward with the project.

Even so....the fact remains that it is well and truly a purpose-built beauty of a firearm!

That's one way of putting it. The other way is: That is badass!

New Post
5/3/2016 9:45 PM

El Mac wrote:
alpendrms wrote:
scothill wrote:

That's one way of putting it. The other way is: That is badass!

I had the same thought as soon as I saw it. 

New Post
5/4/2016 9:42 AM

Evan, would you consider doing a video of your Mauser, RGS, and this PR? I would love to see a comparison of the three. Some range time, up close shots, accuracy.

New Post
5/7/2016 10:04 AM

^ +1 on that, it would be interesting.

Best regards,

Roadie

New Post
5/10/2016 6:04 PM

I REALLY like that rifle! I may have to build something like it someday when I get healed up from the AR. Can't wait to hear more about it's performance, keep up the good work HPG!!

New Post
5/30/2016 10:31 AM

This looks like a great project, and pretty close in concept to what I have been using for a few years. There do not seem to be many things that this general configuration does not do well in the field.

Elk to jackrabbits, a compact lighter weight .308, with a compact scope, seems to get the job done.

New Post
5/30/2016 1:31 PM

The Canadian Arctic Rangers, last year ended up getting a new to them rifle that is quite similar in concept to the HPG practical rifle.

http://www.guns.com/2015/06/26/canadian-arctic-rangers-get-new-rifle-for-polar-bear-defense/

It seems that many who spend a good amount of times in the more remote parts of the continent have a similar idea on what works, and what does not.

New Post
6/3/2016 6:09 PM

I'd sort of heard about the Canadian Rangers, but not in that much detail. Thanks Mackay.

Got a chance to do some more shooting this week including sighting in a traditional 3-9x. Here's a few things I either learned or had reinforced:

• Winchester white box 7.62 has pretty piss poor accuracy. Hirtenberger continues to be 1.5 moa or better.
  • Muzzle brakes might be loud, but on .308 they sure do work. Bear in mind that we're talking about a rifle that weighs 6.5lb naked. The HTG stock in conjunction with the Griffin Armament ti muzzle brake means that I can watch bullets impact through the scope like on a 5.56 AR. When you've got that kind of follow through, it makes accuracy much easier.
  • Intermediate eye relief scopes sure are easy to live with. I barked my thumb pretty good on the traditional scope when I was running the bolt too fast, and also knocked the ballcap off my head at one point. If you use it for a while you get used to those things, but it's nice not to have to.
  • A Kit Bag is a great shooting aid. It's like wearing a built in rear bag on your chest.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
6/3/2016 6:51 PM

The brake on the new poly GSR is amazing.

New Post
6/3/2016 11:29 PM

I've had good results with the Freedom Munitions A-Max 165gr ammo. And it doesn't break the bank.

New Post
6/4/2016 3:37 PM

I've also always though it interesting the amount of venom directed towards field rifles with muzzle brakes. It seems that if you're carrying a rifle in the field with intent to shoot it (I'm thinking back country hunting or similar), you'd be wearing ear protection as would your companions. And is not like any game animal will stay put if you fire an un-braked rifle yet bolt with discharge of a braked rifle.

New Post
6/5/2016 11:42 AM

When differences of opinion become venomous that is a sign of one or both sides not yet making it to adulthood. lol

Now using a brake on a 308 that is more personal preference. For a general field rifle I don't see the need. They add weight, length to a rifle and direct damaging sound levels back at the shooter.

The recoil from a 308 is not very high shooting a magnum that's different. If you have had shoulder surgery or your sensitivity to recoil is high that makes sense.

With the 308 in the pine woods and open areas where damaging sound levels do not get radiated back in your direction it seems less important but hearing things behind you maybe. A brake does direct damaging sound levels back in your direction under all conditions.

Now this from a old guy that has abused his hearing on the job and in the field for many years and finds the 308 recoil to be light. ;-{)

JMHO that and $5.00 will get you a cup of coffee at one of those fancy coffee shops.

Best regards,

Roadie

New Post
6/5/2016 1:30 PM

I find that a suppressor does the hard work of a brake, albeit at a cost of weight, without the sound issue. I'd like to hunt down a decent Ti can for field work, but my RAR 5.56 is light enough to wear my fat stainless bastard without being obnoxious.

The RAR could use a larger mag, or maybe a stainless mag as I don't entirely trust the body on the one it came with, but for a light rifle I like it better than I did my Savage. Stock is better than Savage or Remington poly stocks, not quite Tikka grade though.

New Post
6/5/2016 3:44 PM

Woods or no, shooting ANY 308, even once, sans ear pro, is damaging your hearing.  Surefire plugs (budget) or a Walker's Game Ear is a lot cheaper than an audiologist.  I LOVE the brake on my GSR.  Either you are very recoil tolerant, or you don't shoot from prone much.  My 308 Tikka Superlite was wearing my shoulder out in the prone the other day.  The braked GSR was a pussycat.

New Post
6/5/2016 5:08 PM

I live in California, so things that could be helpful, like suppressors, are illegal.

New Post
6/6/2016 7:08 AM

The brake in question was originally speced out because it was the lowest profile option to mount our suppressors on. At this point there are some other options, but since it was already bought it went on the rifle. It is really the only brake I have experience with, and I have to say I don't notice any blast directed back at me. It is noisier, but like has been said we wear ear pro anyway when hunting or shooting. We are also experimenting with the Blast Shield which directs the sound forward, and actually provides a 3db reduction. For reference the brake in question adds less than an inch to the rifle and less than 2oz (I think 1.3oz but would have to look). The Blast Shield is around 4oz.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/6/2016 1:30 PM

A friend has the Fat Bastard Brake on his 338 Lapua.  They have a smaller version that I plan to try when my Ruger Precision finally arrives.

New Post
11/15/2016 10:57 AM

I love your set up. I've got a GSR with AAC Brake Out on it. Duracoted with a grey tone. I have a burris Tac 30 (found from your forums) on it but also have a Leupold IER scope. I've got an XS full rail and SKD Tac pig stock pack. I've also put in a spec-tech trigger that's nice and crisp about 4-5lbs. I need to put on another sling like a ching sling from SKD or something. I've got the laminate stock but with I had the poly- I may buy one and get it painted some day. Right now I'm looking for a range that's more than 100 yards.

I like your pic rail a lot and was thinking about when I had an M1A scout rifle, I replaced the front sling swivel with a pic rail/sling loop. I wonder if the GSR could do that? or even a 45 degree rail attached to the fore-end of the stock...I think that would be ok too to not be in the way of a sling.

I'm really digging your fluted barrel and wish Ruger would do that instead of the tapered barrel they have. I think it would reduce some weight and aesthetically it's very nice. Nice looking set up you have there.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...HPG Practical RifleHPG Practical Rifle