Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...River rifle thoughts.River rifle thoughts.
Previous

Next
New Post
4/4/2018 6:54 PM

Longeye, if you have friends like Matt… you are doing well.

I keep having fantasies of selling two or three to fund a The Fix build… it seems… ideal.

New Post
10/22/2018 2:28 PM

The Fix is still in the Queue. It does a lot of things right.

Before I buy The Fix, I am building up a light field rifle, starting with a 16" Bison Armory 6.8 SPC II barrel wrapped in a BCM 13" KMR-A tube. This will leave room for my Surefire reflex suppressor adaptor and my FA7.62SS can when I want it. The optic is a Leupold 2-7x 33mm in a LaRue SPR mount. For certain trips, I may swap that for an Aimpoint T1 in a Larue mount.

I am considering adding a LAW folding adaptor coupled with the MagPul MOE fixed length stock. This should result in roughly A1 length of pull, while offering rigidity and the benefits of the open frame CTR stock. The jury is still out on the LAW adaptor- I am unsure if the weight cost (8.5 oz.) is worth the portability increase for a narrow range of carry.

New Post
10/28/2018 7:23 PM

Evan,
What are your thoughts on the LAW folder? Does it change the balance point all that much?
I like to carry the carbine with one hand wrapped around the breech. It is part of the reason I went with the KMR-A tube. The KMR-A facilitates that carry style very nicely. But how the carbine is balanced makes a big difference in whether that carry style is efficient.

New Post
10/29/2018 6:19 AM

It does change the balance point by an inch or two. On a 16" carbine, probably won't hinder your ability to carry the way you want. Is 8.5oz worth the portability increase for a narrow range of carry? I'm set to take mine off for a while because I think the answer is "no". But my AR pistol with one of the new adjustable length pistol braces on it is a tad shorter with the brace collapsed than a sidefolder AK is. On a carbine length AR, it might well be worthwhile. Depends on how much you plan to carry it on foot. For me, an extra half a pound is a huge spend for foot travel -- better spent on a more comfortable sleeping pad or a little bit more mobility throughout the day.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/31/2018 9:13 PM

Thanks for the reply, Evan. With your feedback I will not prioritize the LAW for this carbine.

I am looking forward to getting back home this week and finding the boxes of parts waiting for me. Then I have an appointment with a cow elk.

New Post
11/6/2018 10:50 PM

I got all the parts put together and am working on getting it certified GTG. Interestingly, my lower with the Magpul MOE rifle stock is 6 oz heaver than my lower with the Magpul CTR stock. This will likely drive me to the CTR for this project.

Balance is still butt heavy with either stock, unless my suppressor is installed. It feels like a long, balanced wand with the suppressor installed. Scope is a Leupold 2-7x33mm in a Larue LT SPR mount at present.
10#2 oz with can and loaded mag with MOE rifle stock.
9# 2 oz with out can but with loaded magazine.
8#3oz no can, no magazine.

Long story short, I can get this rifle in the 7# range with a CTR stock, and probably an ACOG. If I just go with a T1 Aimpoint, I will definitely be shading 7#.

New Post
11/7/2018 6:30 AM

If you go to an Aero Precision fixed mount you can cut quit a bit weight. A bit over a quarter pound. I am slowly moving that way for most of my optics. Shorter barrels also save weight as do lighter contours and fluting. For reference, Evan's 9.5" 300blk without the LAW, but with a T1, 10 rounds and fixed irons is 6lbs4oz. The 308 I am working on is right at 7lbs without optics but irons, that is unloaded.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
11/7/2018 12:25 PM

Good call on the Aero mount. I will look at it unless I choose to go with a ACOG which will also cut about a quarter pound IIRC.

I went with the 29 oz Recon profile barrel for this. It is on the lighter end but still stiff enough to support my Surefire suppressor and minimize POA/POI shifts.

I maybe should have chosen a 14.5" barrel instead of the 16", but time will tell.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...River rifle thoughts.River rifle thoughts.