Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...1911 Guide Rod Question1911 Guide Rod Question
Previous

Next
New Post
12/4/2016 10:44 AM

What do you all think about guide rods in 1911's???

Mine currently has a full length, and runs fine with it, but I'm tempted to replace it with a standard milspec short guide rod for easier fieldstripping. 

Is there any reason that the full length is really superior???

New Post
12/4/2016 10:50 AM

There is no benefit to a full length guide rod. None.

New Post
12/4/2016 11:27 AM

A guide rod makes an already accurate 1911 group a little tighter. Not needed for a defensive pistol, IMO. My S&W came with one and it is reliable but it only has about a 

Thousand rounds through it.

New Post
1/30/2017 1:00 PM

The only 19/2011 guns I use guide rods in are bull-barreled guns (no bushing to retain a GI style setup). Otherwise there is no advantage to them, and they make the gun (slightly) more difficult to disassemble.

New Post
1/30/2017 9:48 PM

A properly setup, IE long-linked Kart barrel, expertly fitted, will shoot slightly better with a guide rod.  It doesn't help to add one to a Norinco or a Rock Island.  Think Demon carb on a stock 305, it just gets in the way.

New Post
1/30/2017 9:54 PM

I guess you have to aks yourself "what are you trying to achieve?" If you want an outback gun or a gun to fight with, the FLGR is superfluous. It you are trying to eek out the last bit of extreme accuracy, well, maybe. But for me, it's BS. Properly built, the 1911 doesn't need one and they can still be very accurate. Accurate beyond the off the shelf polyguns.

New Post
1/30/2017 9:54 PM

BTW TAK, your post count is 666. Ominous.

New Post
2/13/2017 10:00 AM

El Mac wrote:
I guess you have to aks yourself "what are you trying to achieve?" If you want an outback gun or a gun to fight with, the FLGR is superfluous. It you are trying to eek out the last bit of extreme accuracy, well, maybe. But for me, it's BS. Properly built, the 1911 doesn't need one and they can still be very accurate. Accurate beyond the off the shelf polyguns.

My interest in the 1911 is mainly as a backcountry sidearm, therefore it would seem the standard milspec guiderod would be more than adequate. 

New Post
2/13/2017 10:07 AM

The standard guide rod is all you need. Trust me on that.

New Post
2/13/2017 5:17 PM

You don't ":need" speed-rated tires on a Ferrari either.

New Post
2/13/2017 5:25 PM

Sorry TAK, that's a stupid comparison.

If you want to line up technology, a better way of putting it would be "you don't need speed rated tires on a Model T".

But I digress.

New Post
2/13/2017 8:47 PM

El Mac wrote:
Sorry TAK, that's a stupid comparison.

If you want to line up technology, a better way of putting it would be "you don't need speed rated tires on a Model T".

But I digress.

I get your point.  I should have said Rolls Royce, or maybe a Deusenberg.  The 1911 is capable of better accuracy, and has a better trigger, than any other handgun ever made.  It is just as reliable as any handgun ever made, but only if it is produced by makers a one-armed man has plenty of fingers to count them all on.  Just seems a shame to me, like  buying a flannel nightie for Vanessa Williams.  She'd still be just as hot, even in plaid gingham.

But I digress :)

New Post
2/13/2017 9:22 PM

I could see your point if a FLGR made that much difference. But the reality is, it doesn't. Certainly not in a gun meant for combat, defensive use or backwoods carry. Now if you were into benchrest shooting from a Ransom Rest, perhaps.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...1911 Guide Rod Question1911 Guide Rod Question