Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Ruger 10/22 OPTIONS; Stock or Tactical SolutionsRuger 10/22 OPTIONS; Stock or Tactical Solutions
Previous

Next
New Post
5/26/2018 2:55 PM

I have shot stock 10/22s for years and have seen many good deals recently. However I have handled the Tac Solutions models and am seriously considering picking one up. My question is: It the TSworth nearly 3 times the cost of the ruger?

Does anyone have any feedback?

Regards,
Sandy

New Post
5/26/2018 7:49 PM

Depends on what you need it to do. If you're shooting some form of competition that requires super accuracy, then you can certainly rationalize the expense of a Tac-Sol or Volquartsen gun.

For general field use however, I've never needed more accuracy that a run of the mill 10/22 could deliver (with the right ammo) when it was equipped with an adequate sighting system and a good trigger.

You may already be well aware of this but more than any other cartridge out there it seems, .22 rimfires are a law unto themselves so testing a large variety of ammo will usually result in something that's a real standout in the accuracy department. But, you'll never experience your gun's potential until you have the trigger worked.

I have a standard model 10/22 (with a very decent 3 lb trigger) in a factory synthetic stock that will shoot CCI Velocitors into an inch or so at 60 yards. That's with an Ultradot RDS, not a scope. Spend the money getting your trigger done right and then decide if you need more performance than your gun(s) can deliver.

New Post
5/28/2018 5:17 PM

I have TS XBR, Kidd match grade, and Fedderson 10/22 barrels and the Fedderson shooting rings around the other two by a fair margin with the XBR being the least accuracy. Probably +20k rounds through all three combined. The Fedderson is a tack driver with CCI SV (1/2" @ 50y) and even better with SK Standad Plus (sub 1/2" @ 50y with good weather).

I also have a Kidd 2 stage trigger that is worth every penny if you serious about your offhand shooting.

I would put a factory Ruger action with a Fedderson Barrel and Kidd trigger up again a stock TS or VQ any day and be money head for a case of SK Match. You will need a good scope that focuses down to 50y or less at high mag to really give any a fair test.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
5/28/2018 5:24 PM

...the Fedderson also shoots the CCI Subsonic Segmented HP's into the same POA/POI as the CCI SV. And the SHP are hell on prairie dogs out to 100y or a bit more if you do your part.

The Velocitor is deep penetrating hard hitting for a little 22lr. They have also been the most accuracy of the high vel hunting loads I have tested to date.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
5/30/2018 10:03 AM

It really depends on what you are looking for in a 10/22. I bought a TS because I wanted take down, magpul stock, iron sights, and light weight on the TS it came with standard with all those features. With the exception of the mag release it is was basically speced exactly the way I would have speced a custom one. That being said if you don't want all of those features or any of those features then don't get one. Like everything more money buys you more features, but do you need/want those more features? Only you can answer that. I wanted, and could argue needed those full features so for me it was well worth the cost.

What exactly do you want and need, and is the TS the best way to accomplish that? If not look elsewhere.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/7/2018 10:20 PM

It really depends on what you need the rifle to do.

I have looked down my nose at 10-22 rifles for years, but recently picked up a takedown version to build up as a suppressed backpack gun. I have been favorably impressed with its accuracy.

I have a friend who travels up to Montana most summers to shoot gophers- He brings a Volquartson .17 HMR- That rifle is wickedly accurate...but it is $1700 also.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Ruger 10/22 OPTIONS; Stock or Tactical SolutionsRuger 10/22 OPTIONS; Stock or Tactical Solutions