Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGGrey?Grey?
Previous

Next
New Post
10/30/2013 2:12 PM

Grey? 

We really have two different “official” colors at HPG, which are Ranger Green and Foliage. For straight backcountry use, Ranger Green beats out any other color we have seen.  However, if you are using your gear both in the back country and urban areas we think Foliage is a better choice. There seems to be a fair amount of confusion on what Foliage is, which is grey with a greenish tint to it.  Recently we have been doing a two tone look with Ranger Green and Khaki since it provides a more civilian look and still blends in well, and even before that were looking for another color to use in a two tone combination with Foliage for a more civilian look that still worked well in the back country. Since we use 500d and aren’t in the business of buying die lots we haven’t really found a good color match for Foliage, that still works in the backcountry as well as urban areas.  One color that we have been thinking about is a different grey shade to stay in the same tone family.  However, prior to Urban Wolf becoming popular there wasn’t another readily available “grey” to work with in 500d. When Wolf became available we thought we might have found the answer so we had a two tone Wolf and Foliage Tarahumara made up.  Surprisingly, there is not that much difference between the two, and in fact most of the people we show the pack to in person can’t tell the difference.  Actually, except for Evan and I no one has seen the difference before they were told and knew to look for it, and we of course did. Like Foliage, Wolf is not a straight charcoal grey or dark grey, but instead of a greenish tint it has a bluish tint and seems to be a bit brighter/lighter.  My guess is that as Wolf fades it will get even closer to Foliage, which stays pretty true to color over time, but just gets a duller.  The other thing is that folks we have showed the pack to like Foliage better. In our minds there isn’t enough difference between the two to justify a two tone pack, and given feedback and our personal experience looking at it under different lights and environments we still think Foliage makes a better urban/backcountry color.

Here is the two tone pack:

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
10/30/2013 2:43 PM

agreed, not enough difference to justify it.

I'd love to see a two-tone with coyote and a darker brown, but I doubt it would sell like hot-cakes.

New Post
10/30/2013 2:56 PM

Foilage also looks great on the ski slopes....just saying. Overall, if I had to narrow my choices down to one and only one, it would be foilage hands down. It is the do it all color. And it even gets better with age.

New Post
4/23/2014 4:04 PM

I'll put in a vote for a darker Grey, or a less aggresive brown color something along the lines of 5.11's "sandstone" color (it seems closer to a dark khaki color).  My main reason for not purchasing a kit bag so far is because to me the Foliage color screams "military" whenever I see it.  That may be because I'm in the Air Force and Foliage is the accepted color to match our (terrible) ABUs so I see it everywhere.  You can always tell guys are in the air force when they're hiking with a foliage green backpack, add to that it's a light enough color that I don't think it matches very well with dark clothing.  Black is tempting but it's on the other end of the spectrum.

New Post
4/24/2014 12:24 PM

What about a Runner's Kit Bag made with the diamond grid fabric on the side panels of this Tarahumara?

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/24/2014 12:44 PM

A Kit Bag with that color scheme would look pretty nice!  Maybe have the side panels of the KB in the diamond grid, and the main face sections in the grey.

How is the durability of the diamond grid stuff, and is there a weight savings?

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
4/24/2014 7:41 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to a two-color kit bag, but if it was just the diamond fabric I think the overall bag would be too shiny (at least it looks that way in the picture).  And if you were going to do two color I actually think the Foliage/Grey color might look good.  I was more looking for a darker neutral color, of which I actually think the ranger green comes the closest.

I did notice some color variance in the pictures of the coyote kit bags, specifically the picture of the runners kit bag looks less eye catcing (which I like).  Is that because the particular model was washed alot or was it a different batch?

New Post
4/25/2014 12:28 PM

Any color variation you are seeing is background or lighting. All of the colors from FS stay very true to color without much, if any, variation from die lot to die lot. In most cases the product photos are taken with a new item, and I don't remember the Runners being any different so it hasn't been washed.  Coyote is going to be coyote, and in my opinion, unless you need it or are in a very specific environment is not really that great as a back country color.  Khaki is far better in that spectrum, but when we tried straight khaki products no one wanted them.

In the last year the outdoor, as in REI type gear, color pallet has swung away from earth tones and back to brighter colors.  The two or three years before that if you walked into any REI or similar store a large percentage of what you saw on the shelves was grey with various tones to it including a lot of foliage stuff. North Face is really the only company still doing a lot of grey stuff, and it is greyer than foliage, but not to far off. My take is if you are in the military or around military types who use foliage, to you it is a military color. To everyone else it is just grey  green. I travel almost weekly and still see a ton of grey packs in the airports.  In fact, the grey packs that stand out are due to the pack themselves not the color.  For instance there is nothing low pro about a Maxpedition Gear Slinger no matter what color you get.  Given you local foliage may be a military color in most places it is not.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/25/2014 5:34 PM

Bummer khaki didn't sell better, got any extras lying around?  I have noticed that Foliage has been integrated with grey more often on two-tone packs and it doesn't look bad.  If you guys ever wanted to make a two-tone kit bag (or just a grey one) I would be interested.

New Post
4/25/2014 5:46 PM

We do make a grey kit bag, all of them are available in grey actually, it is a grey-green called... foliage ;).  Nope, the khaki ones were finally blown out a couple of years ago.  We had to sell them at a pretty big discount to get them to sell. I am not sure there is enough different pieces on a kit bag to actually have one that was two tone looking, but we might have one made up to see. My suspicion is that whatever the front panel was, is the color the bag would look like.

New Post
4/26/2014 12:52 PM

evanhill wrote

This looks fantastic imo!   I also like the colored side panel idea that's no longer available, but shown in the Tara detail page.  I think a color or pattern like that instantly transforms the Tara into a civilian day pack look.  Even though I think it looks great, I don't know how many you would sell. 

There's a company called Timbuk2 that started making bike messenger bags a number of years back.  I got one back in the late 90's/early 2000's when they were still mail order only with just a few color choices.  Thiers is a much simpler design (open sack with a flap and no suspension), but they have since added all kinds of options & colors on the different fabric panels, and customers can customize them when they order.  I'm not sure what kind of volume they do to afford that, and it might not be anything you all are interested in doing, but it would be pretty cool to one off order a custom tara that you had spec'd yourself.  This pic made me think of it, so I thought I'd just put it out there.

New Post
4/26/2014 8:17 PM

We did a test program of custom orders, as in different colors and minor changes. It was an absolute pain in the butt and we lost money on it.  When we told FS we were canceling we found out they were the same way, and that was with a 25% special order fee.  I know nothing about Timbuk2's production system so I can't say how they are doing it. For us it didn't work. Evan and I both have OG Timbuk2s from way back in the day.

New Post
4/27/2014 10:56 AM

I wonder how Foliage w/ kahki accents would look? Or stone/ foliage like you did with the lindi. A recon kit bag with the main section being stone and the PALS and zipper pulls in foliage might be an easy way to pull off a good two tone. Again with the "military looking" every thing I see in coyote just screams it. The khaki used on the Ute would be my preference. It seems to have a slight green tint to it that I like. But if you've been there done that lost money on it it probably isn't worth it.

Not to change topics but any word on a possible 6/12 pannel on the back of the KB harness?

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
4/27/2014 10:58 AM

Yeah, I figured it would be much more complicated and probably more expensive.  Oh well.  Maybe sometime in the distant future when you get your robot production facility. 

New Post
12/2/2014 2:36 PM

How about the "crocodile" color? I think it is fantastic.

New Post
12/2/2014 7:24 PM

PNWTO wrote:
How about the "crocodile" color? I think it is fantastic.

You mean Arc'teryx's spin on Coyote brown? I'm a fan of the color (for the sake of nostalgia, I think), but I have never found it to be especially effective in most conditions. I really like foliage, which shames my Beloved Corps. 

New Post
1/6/2015 4:31 PM

evanhill wrote:

What about a Runner's Kit Bag made with the diamond grid fabric on the side panels of this Tarahumara?

A quick question about this pack, is this pack available as an option for purchase? Also, how durable is the diamond material?

New Post
1/8/2015 11:57 AM

That pack was part of a limited run we did to see how folks liked that combination. Based on sales of that run we have no plan to do another run unless we see some kind of demand. The Runner's kit bags in that fabric sell alright, so we continue to stock them. To answer your question it is 400d cordura instead of our reguarl 500d it is not as durable, but is plenty durable for a lot of uses.

New Post
1/8/2015 1:17 PM

How did the sales of your Black Tara go if you don't mind me asking?

New Post
1/8/2015 5:39 PM

Black does pretty well in the Original Kit Bags and is kind of hit or miss in everything else. Not much demand lately.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGGrey?Grey?

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear