Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...1911/w X300 IWB holster selection 1911/w X300 IWB holster selection
Previous

Next
New Post
2/21/2017 5:15 AM

I'm turning 21 this Friday and will start carrying my 5in 1911 with x300 ultra. I've grown up shooting 1911's and cant seam to make the change to a lighter gun so if y'all have any recommendations on kydex or leather makers please help me out I cant seam to find may that make an IWB holster

New Post
2/21/2017 11:06 AM

Height and weight?

New Post
2/22/2017 5:52 AM

6'2 210lbs

New Post
2/22/2017 7:15 AM

Mann96:
I grew up running nothing but leather, mostly Milt Sparks. That said, for hard use and durability I have migrated towards kydex. Take a look at Slate Creek Tactical for kydex holsters. Here is the link: "http://www.sctactical.com/". They are based in northern Idaho. I know the owner who is a veteran and very squared away. The owner is a shooter and knows what it takes to make a good holster. He has also been very receptive to feedback from end users. Slate Creek Tactical does exceptional work. I have 5 of their holsters including an outside the waistband model that accommodates a TLR 1 light. The fit, finish, and retention on all of them are fantastic. I hope that helps

New Post
2/22/2017 7:35 AM

Mann96 wrote:
6'2 210lbs

You might actually be big enough to pull it off.  I use only Crossbreed IWB holsters.  I'm still going to tell you to get a Glock 19.  The Glock will pay for itself by what you'll save in ammo (9mm vs 45acp) by the time you shoot enough to achieve some competence.

New Post
2/22/2017 1:52 PM

I am going to disagree that size is a determining factor since I know plenty of little folks (relative to me at least say 5'6" or so and up) that carry fullsize guns with no problems. The key is to find a holster and position that works for your body type and manner of dress. That being said I agree it is easier for bigger folks.

The first thing you should be asking about is belts. The belt is the foundation upon which concealment is built. You can have the smallest gun in the best holster in the world and if you don't have a good belt for support for the holster then concealment will be compromised and so will comfort. I personally use a Milt Sparks belt and Wilderness belts when I am wearing a gun. I just ordered a Mean Gene Leather Flight belt to try out so I don't have to wear a different belt when traveling. I prefer 1.75, but know folks who like 1.5". I also know lots of folks who have moved on to Ares belts. So get yourself a good belt first.

I guess my second comment is, what is your daily situation that requires you to have a light on the gun at all times when you are carrying? Also what training have you had in low light techniques? I personally, as a civilian, don't carry a light on the gun. I am rarely out after dark, and practice good avoidance. I always carry a handheld light and know how to utilize it. You do carry a handheld light correct? The weaponlight is going to add both bulk and weight, which will fight against both concealment and comfort. For that reason I can't make any recommendations for IWB holster with a light. I do have several for OWB with lights, which get used as needed, but nothing IWB. The newer smaller lights do intrigue me to a degree, because the don't add much in the way of bulk. Sure they aren't sear your retinas bright, but well that is a whole other discussion. I actually know very few guys that carry with a weaponlight concealed, unless they are working (mil and leo).

Personally, I am not a fan of the Crossbreed holsters. I didn't find the one I had to conceal that well despite spending a bunch of time trying to tweak it to work well. I also found that the leather portion got awful soft overtime, and had to make sure after awhile (about a year of daily use) that it didn't get back into the trigger guard on a re-holster. Not something I ever experienced with a Sparks, Alessie, Bulman, Kramer, etc... leather holster. Softening leather is actually a pretty common complaint with crossbreed and other leather/kydex hybrid style holsters. My suspicion is that it has something to do with a flat piece of leather vs one that is formed and sewn into that form.

These days I carry a kydex holster, but find myself leery of it still given the number of broken kydex holsters I have seen, and the fact that most are approaching the cost of a good leather holster, which hold up for years and years. I will say that they are usually easier to get quickly.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/25/2017 3:21 PM

I would never depend upon upon a WML as my only light, and preferably not as my second light. I would want two or more hand-held lights with me, in addition to the WML. The batteries in one's X300 should last for about a decade, because the WML is used so sparingly. I think I changed the batteries only once, in the X200 that was mounted on the SIG P229R I carried on duty, night shift, for eleven years. Since switching to Glock and then 1911 duty pistols, I have not been using a WML on my primary duty pistol, because the duty holster that accommodates a light is too bulky to be worth the trouble. Having said that, I will not advise against having a WML on a handgun, provided one is properly-trained, or at least properly-informed/advised, and is willing to tolerate the bulk.

As for IWB, well, I cannot be very helpful, because the only conventional, behind-the-hip IWB rig I like, for auto-loaders, is the Milt Sparks VM II, which does not accommodate a mounted light, and the only AIWB rig I have that accommodates a light is not made for the 1911. (AIWB = Appendix IWB) One that might work well is the DSG Arms Alpha, if equipped with IWB loops. I have a DSG Alpha, molded for a G34 with X300 mounted, and will try stuffing it into my pants for a while, and get back to y'all.

New Post
2/25/2017 6:30 PM

Black hawk makes a belt clip that has a section of picatinny so you can carry a WL as a handheld.

New Post
2/26/2017 12:19 PM

Just to add some additional viable options, I have been using a Hammered Hides Custom holster for my 1911, and it works really well (https://www.facebook.com/hammeredhide...).  He also does models that are built for carrying the pistol with the light attached.  I'm not sure if IWB is an option or not in a holster with a weapon light, but you could always contact the guy and ask.  I agree with Scot that it begins with having a proper belt.  When I'm running classic leather, my go-to is an Aker B-13 (https://akerleather.com/off-duty-belt...).

When I'm using a Kydex holster, I roll with an Ares Gear Ranger Belt (http://www.aresgear.com/index.php?mai...).  For the weapon light-ready Kydex holster, I'm running a First Spear SSV...once again, an OWB deal.  That said, there is a new model SSV IWB option that is built to accommodate the pistol with a Surefire XC-1 attached, for appendix or kidney carry (http://www.first-spear.com/product.ph...).

Hope that helps.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
2/27/2017 5:22 PM

Mann96:

As Alpendrms once said Boy, did you open up a can of worms! There's some solid,experienced advice here(how many of you have a box of holsters that didn't pass muster?) but here goes:

1. Scott nailed it on the belt; the holster, mag carrier, etc. need to be fitted to the belt and the belt is the foundation upon which all else is built. Either a leather Sparks or the Wilderness belt.
2. WMLs are like tracers; they work both ways. I carry my lights independent of the gun and have those I can depend on.
3. My 27 yr old son (infantry) has some of my Milt Sparks gear. Never regretted the price or the wait and for 30 years the perfection has been uncanny. Since I'm more the "troll" endomorphic at 5' 8" and 185, I'm a best fit for the Commander length with either the EX IWB or BN with a 15 degree FBI cant. I like a Mitch Rosen OWB for a 5".
4. Your battery will grow and take a cue from Take a Knee: the aforementioned son has my 1986 gen2 G19 that has a least 40K rounds through it and it will feed beer cans. Don't question what works. Get good with the trigger.
5. Be proficient with a variety of weapons; you may have to use what you have.

Hope this helps,

Chip

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...1911/w X300 IWB holster selection 1911/w X300 IWB holster selection

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear