The Umlindi is the most popular day pack amongst HPG employees. It is an exercise in making the largest pack practical for use without lifter straps. It carries very well with just the shoulder harness it comes with and carries even better as a large lumbar pack with the addition of one of our optional belts.
After many years in production, the Umlindi is now in version 2. This second version adds the following features to the original version:
- zipper flap removed for more convenient access
- AHBC / Connor Style lumbar flap for increased comfort with shoulder only carry
- dual 7075 aluminum stays in the removable HDPE framesheet
- larger wand pockets with cinch system will lay flat but can expand large enough to hold 2 standard Nalgenes in each side
- full height slot pocket on inside of the pack on back side with velcro closure that can also be accessed from the outside via #10 zipper
- dual top compression straps
- zippered pocket on top of top lid
- full velcro field on the underside of top lid for the use of velcro backed accessories such as the Tool Roll or 58 Pouch
The Umlindi V2 retains the following features from the original version:
- 500d Cordura Construction
- Ute style pulley compression system
- 3 reinforced hang tabs inside of pack on suspension side
- hose port
- bottom compression straps
- parachute cord tool loop in back center
- accepts a number of accessories
Piotr Ma's independent review of the Umlindi
What do folks put in their Umlindi?
Umlindi as "Go-Bag" (USDOJ package)
Umlindi means "watchman", "guardian", or "caretaker" in Zulu. As we neared completion on the design of this pack, we were approached by a South African who is standing up a rhino poaching interdiction unit. The effort is entirely SA based and involves locals with both military and LE backgrounds.You can read more about it here.