Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralVehicle RecommendationsVehicle Recommendations
Previous

Next
New Post
8/16/2017 11:42 AM

evanhill wrote:

This is something I've been musing about myself. When you talk about 200k plus miles, you're talking about a 10 year or more time horizon. Does looking at what was made well 10 or more years ago really have a lot of bearing on what is being made well today? Some, but it's not a lot to go on.

Here is what you can "go on":  I've read financial reports comparing Toyota and GM's manufacturing costs, both per/hr and the attendant "legacy" costs.  Toyota's costs are, IIRC, some 20% or so LESS than GM's (or any other American manufacturer).   Add to this the fact that Toyotas sell, on average, for several thousand MORE than American designed vehicles.  Toyota can simply afford to offer a higher build-quality than GM or Chrysler

The Harvard/Yale/Wharton crew that ran Detroit laughed at Deming. Koyanagi invited Deming to Japan.  The fact that an extended-cab 4wd Tacoma with 100K on the odo is a freakin' unicorn on the used market is the result.

The biggest problem, IMO, with long-term reliability of a 4wd truck/jeep today is/are electrical components,  EFI makes engines last longer (the engine "tunes" itself to achieve stoichiometry) but it and other digital gizmos can and will strand you.  The only way to avoid this is to build up/restore an older vehicle.  When I do, it'll have three elipses in the grill and probably a Chevy engine/tranny.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralVehicle RecommendationsVehicle Recommendations