Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSleeping PadSleeping Pad
Previous

Next
New Post
7/24/2018 7:01 PM

I am in need of a sleeping pad.

Little background for that will also point to what I am looking for...

I am active military about to deploy to afganistan, I am having increasing difficulty in falling asleep with my issued isomat and extreme hip and back pain with it.

I am looking for something that i can sleep with on my back but hopefully side too, that is durable to last me a deployment, and lastly in ranger green or coyote brown. Thanks for any help.

New Post
7/25/2018 10:59 AM

I realize they offer the most comfort, but I just couldn't see myself (in your circumstance) trusting an inflatable. So, your choices are some sort of foam (perhaps two different pads coupled together) or a stuffed pad like the one offered by Wiggys.

https://www.wiggys.com/specials/ground-pad/

Kymit has a relatively new pad out called the Armored V which might prove to be reliable enough if you used it on top of a durable foam pad like a Z-Lite.

https://www.klymit.com/armored-v-sleeping-pad.html

New Post
7/26/2018 3:40 PM

I have come to the conclusion that inflatable air mattresses are a replacement/wear item. The tougher the material the are made out of the longer they will last, but the heavier they will be. I have had pretty decent longevity from the Trekker Version of the NeoAirs, but even they seem to only last for so long. The best seem to be the original heavy thermarests, because they have such a heavy exterior. If I am not carrying it, I always default to one of those for my use. The NeoAirs are a bit more comfortable, but I am more leery of puncturing them. I have also had the best luck patching the heavier thermarests (camprests I think they are called now). The others just don't seem to want to hold a patch, but I have successfully patched the camprests in the field.

In the end, sleep is a key component for longevity, function, and a whole host of other things in the back country so I carry an inflatable pillow and pad as they help me sleep better. I carry a thermarest too, so in essence that is my fall back plan if my pad fails, and I do error on heavier duty when I can.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I just haven't found an alternative that allows me to get a good nights sleep, like inflatables.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/29/2018 12:01 PM

FWIW, I've used a Wiggy's foam pad with a NeoAir on top of it for a week in the gooseneck of a horse trailer - very comfortable. I'm usually a side sleeper, with many orthopedic injuries.

I envious of the quality gear that is available now compared to when I was on active duty.

New Post
8/4/2018 7:39 PM

I have a klymit and it is pretty good. They have them in ODG and coyote. Not sure it it would withstand a deployment. Might be worth reaching out to them. Good luck, thanks for our service and be safe.

New Post
8/6/2018 10:07 AM

One sturdy setup I've used in the past is an XS Pro-Lite pad on top of a foam pad. The foam pad protects it and the Pro-Lite pad seems sturdier than the Neo Air I use now. I'm not sure what colors the Pro-Lites come in but a short and sturdy torso length pad on top of a regular pad of whatever size you prefer is pretty comfortable in my book and about as bomb proof as you can get for an inflatable. The good thing about it is you still have the foam pad for insulation if the inflatable pops.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSleeping PadSleeping Pad