Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDown Jackets and Pants RecommendationsDown Jackets and Pants Recommendations
Previous

Next
New Post
10/8/2018 9:32 PM

I am looking for a packable jacket and pants for a warm layer when needed, I was looking at a 650 fill jacket at REI. Any suggestions?

New Post
10/9/2018 9:11 AM

sheltowee wrote:
I am looking for a packable jacket and pants for a warm layer when needed, I was looking at a 650 fill jacket at REI. Any suggestions?

I've been using a Montbell Down Jacket since 2010. They've renamed it since then but this looks exactly like the one I have: https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25010&p_id=2301214&gen_cd=1

Mine packs down to almost nothing and weighs about eight ounces. Keep in mind, they're a Japanese company and they're XL is sized to fit a big Japanese guy; not a big American. I'm 6'2", 195 pounds, wear a 42R suit, and wear an XL in their jackets. If I were any bigger the sleeves would be too short but there's some room in the body. Definitely an "athletic" cut. 

The material they use is very lightweight and probably pretty fragile but it works well under a tougher jacket like my Windcheater or a hardshell. Also, the material they use is glossy and mine (a dark blue) bears a close resemblance to a trash bag in person.

New Post
10/10/2018 10:54 PM

Sheltowee,

Take a look at the Brooks Range down jackets. They use downtek (850+ hydrophobic treated down) which allows the jacket to remain a lot of loft even when wet. They currently have their entire product line on massive discount.

http://www.brooks-range.com/Mens-Apparel-s/131.htm

New Post
10/11/2018 8:28 AM

What sorts of temperatures will you be experiencing? Are you dealing with damp air or relatively dry? Do you want something to fit under a shell, or will this be a stand alone piece?

New Post
10/11/2018 7:39 PM

I plan on wearing under a shell. And asan extra layer when sleeping.

New Post
10/11/2018 8:35 PM

A few years ago, when the Canadian dollar was doing a little better, I bought an ultralight down jacket from LLBean. It's held up very well although I've heard that their quality can be hit or miss now.  I've come to appreciate the 850 fill.  I do layer it under a canvas shell if I'm spending time in the bush because the face fabric is pretty light.  It works alone down to -20C/-4F.

I also have an Arcteryx Atom which is slim enough that it finds under my Windcheater.  This makes it a little less warm. I don't know that I'd spend much time in it below -10C/14F. (It's great for x-country skiing or snowshoeing.)

The last consideration is this - when I camp I use a nice lightweight down sleeping bag.  It doesn't always cope well with moisture around freezing.  Laying a synthetic jacket overtop can help move the dew point outside of the sleeping bag.  

New Post
10/13/2018 4:49 PM

ChrisF wrote: 

The last consideration is this - when I camp I use a nice lightweight down sleeping bag.  It doesn't always cope well with moisture around freezing.  Laying a synthetic jacket overtop can help move the dew point outside of the sleeping bag.  

========

Exactly, so many people get this wrong and wear the jacket to bed. If one isn't worried about moving the dew point as much then laying the jacket over you inside the bag will allow the warmth generated by the torso to radiate to the legs better.

I use a cheap 40 degree rated synthetic quilt to move the dew point and add warmth to my bag but I reckon a Serape would be the cats meow for the application.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDown Jackets and Pants RecommendationsDown Jackets and Pants Recommendations