Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralCrampons spikes or other? Crampons spikes or other?
Previous

Next
New Post
1/6/2019 12:11 PM

Afternoon I do a lot of winter trail walking and use a mixture of yaktrak and microspikes.  Its a multitime a day walking the dog etc. The trails are dirt and gravel and some concrete underneath and the Trails around here ice up pretty quick. As soon as snow is deep enough it's snowshoes but it's the low level stuff that's a pain. Just bust my second set of a particular brand and am wondering how others make out.

Looking for advice/experiences of others 

New Post
1/6/2019 4:35 PM

Some Neos overshoes come with replaceable cleats. No complaints with mine.

New Post
1/9/2019 12:27 PM

I've been very happy with my Hillsound Trail Crampons over the course of 3 or so years now. They've been seeing less use recently because my new snowshoes are so light and easy to get into and out of that I frequently skip the spikes and go straight to those. However for straight up ice and packed snow walking (like if I was hiking those trails in the Wasatch front this time of year), the Hillsounds would still get the nod.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
Today @ 2:51 PM

We haven’t had much snow in my neck of the woods just yet, so the snowshoes typically just hang in the garage. My Khatoola (sp?) Microspikes do a pretty good job of keeping me upright when trails here get iced over. Easy enough to slip on/off. I like the look of Hillhound’s offereings, though. When my microspikes retire, those might be the replacement.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralCrampons spikes or other? Crampons spikes or other?