Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralCamo and gunstocksCamo and gunstocks
Previous

Next
New Post
5/18/2018 7:41 AM

So I was looking up ASAT camo again (all season all terrain) just browsing "if" I get the chance to go hunting this year (I haven't been in a few years for various reasons). If I get a chance this year, I want to go. Has anyone here used this camo?

Second to that,while searching youtube for the same camo I found someone had a gunstock hydrodipped in it. I thought that would be pretty cool for when I get a poly GSR stock this year..though I'm still hoping magpul will release their hunterstock for the GSR- that would have Mlok capable slots on the front for a flashlight and more "verticle" type grip..I think that would be amazing.

Anyways- just seeing if anyone has any experience with this camo or hydrodipping their stock.

(I would hunt in either Eastern Oklahoma or Nashville, Tennessee area if I get to go)

New Post
6/5/2018 1:46 PM

So since this has gotten so many views but not responses, I guess I should clarify.
1. Has anyone used the ASAT camo? Opinions in the field?
2. Has anyone hydrodipped their stock? I have a ruger GSR and may get the poly stock and thought about dipping it.
3. (Opinion) I wish Magpul would make the hunter stock for the GSR. :)

Thanks for looking and hopefully I get some of your opinons!

New Post
6/5/2018 4:36 PM

When I used to bowhunt, I used ASAT frequently. I think it does a great job of breaking up your profile. Then again, assuming you're following all other 'rules' of not being detected, I'm not sure it works any better/worse than Kuiu VIAS, Sitka Open Country, etc. It's a high contrast breakup pattern, and in that sense, it works, and I mix and match all of the above at times. I don't think it really matters that much.

New Post
6/5/2018 5:40 PM

A good buddy of mine who bow hunts more than I swears by ASAT camo and is religious about wearing it on our annual Coues rifle hunt. We are 6 for 6 on AZ public land Coues deer rifle hunts so it doesn't seem to hurt. The bowhunting community seems quite smitten with ASAT and probably for good reason. A few seasons in southern AZ and the Ocotillo and catclaw will have it looking like a ghille suit anyway.

I personally haven't used camo clothing in many years and don't plan to start anytime soon. I honestly don't think it makes a hoot of difference either way. I do try to avoid the darker toned clothes and black all together and have no problem taking a can of earth tone spray-paint to a new rifle, NF, or Swarovski scope. When I wear that off I just spray paint it again.  I wouldn't waste the paint on a Leupold (JK!!! Relax everyone it's a joke)

There is a bucket load of psychology wrapped up in hunting and if getting a set of ASAT camo improves your confidence, then get two full sets and get to filling the freezer.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
6/6/2018 9:26 AM

I listen to Strow in all manners hunting. Not just because I tend to agree with him, but because he has more hunting time then most folks I know, and most of it is against very wary prey.

I have said it before and will say it again. More game has been taken in the US by guys wearing jeans and a flannel shirt, usually red and black check, then any camo type. If it works for you and you like it drive on. Personally I tend to avoid camos so my stuff is more multi-use. I would just hit that stock with Aerove in some earth tone and call it a day, but it is not my rifle.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/6/2018 2:49 PM

Thanks for the replies! I'm looking to get the poly stock for the GSR and will probably spray paint it OD or MAS Grey (my barrel is already duracoated by a friend a dark grey/green). I wish magpul would release that stock for the GSR as it is exactly what I want (for a more verticle grip, flat fore end and mlok slots)...maybe in time.
I like the ASAT camo, I've only gone deer hunting a hand full of times, both were from a blind- so I wore jeans a tshirt. The time I harvested a deer, I was in the old army black fleece jacket and blue jeans.) I like the ASAT pattern and have read great reviews on it, since I've seen it for years (since I was a little kid)..I appreciate the responses from everyone!

New Post
6/6/2018 4:59 PM

It may or may not be of importance to you but check the fabric used in the ASAT camo. If I remember correctly it is 100% cotton or close to it. It seems to hold up well but I wouldn't want to get it soaked on a cold fall/winter day in the back country if I could help it.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
6/6/2018 6:57 PM

strow wrote:
It may or may not be of importance to you but check the fabric used in the ASAT camo. If I remember correctly it is 100% cotton or close to it. It seems to hold up well but I wouldn't want to get it soaked on a cold fall/winter day in the back country if I could help it.

True, a lot of the stuff actually made under the ASAT name is inexepensive cotton stuff. But First Lite also makes (or at least used to make) a fair bit of their high-end merino wool, softshell, etc clothing in the ASAT pattern as well. And in my experience, First Lite is pretty top notch gear. But like you and others have stated, I don't bother with camo anymore. 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralCamo and gunstocksCamo and gunstocks