Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSummer/Winter FootwearSummer/Winter Footwear
Previous

Next
New Post
11/10/2018 6:41 PM

I live in SE Texas where it is very hot and humid most of the year. I have worn out all of my hiking boots and need to purchase new ones. I also have wide feet that narrow my options. I do not think I have ever had a pair of boots that fit well.

I am thinking quick dry light over GTX for the summer due to the high humidity and heat. For winter it is rarely super cold but I think a GTX book with room for thick socks would give me what I need. 

I was wondering what you guys could suggest according to my needs?

New Post
11/10/2018 8:06 PM

Sonoran Desert here... We all use Merrill Moab Vents (non-goretex) boots here all the time. Great footwear! I tried Altra Lone Peak 3.5s for my last set and have liked them a lot. Merrill is a bootmaking company who does light weight hiking boots, Altra is a running shoe company who does shoes for light hiking. Different backgrounds and approaches, but similar product in the end. I have wide feet and they both fit well, though the Altra is a little better on my feet. Not sure what I will do when these wear out...

New Post
11/11/2018 4:07 AM

Hi, I think you are on the mark in looking for a non-GTX boot for summer. In fact, you may be better off with a non-GTX boot in general depending on how much rain/snow you get in winter.  A non-GTX boot will breathe better and dry faster, but it won’t be fun if you are in a climate where you expect wet + cold. 

As far as finding a boot style that fits you well, I would recommend someplace with a broad selection of hiking boots and with salespeople with some level of training. REI fits the bill here and I would recommend seeking them out, but you may have other local alternatives.  You need to try a number of different makes/models side by side. Boot manufacturers use different “lasts”, so boots from different makers will fit different foot shapes better or worse - I think this will be equally important to finding a comfortable boot, as many manufacturers make Wide models.  This is where someplace like an REI helps because they keep a lot of boots in stock.  You should be able to try on a few different choices during your visit and hopefully the salesperson can get you pointed in the right direction with some educated suggestions,

Good luck in your search. 

New Post
11/12/2018 1:34 PM

So I tried on a friends pair of Salomon Quest 4D in a size 8. They were a touch small but felt like the fit my feet well as far as shape. I was also wearing thin ankle socks. I was planning on going with a larger than normal size so I could wear thick socks in winter. Do you think a whole size up would be too much being the 8 very ever slightly tight with thin socks?

New Post
11/15/2018 3:37 AM

This should help to answer some of the questions you have. https://www.rei.com/help/footwear-fitting-tips.html
I have no affiliation with REI, but they are among the better sources for boots and are relatively common to find.

New Post
11/16/2018 6:32 AM

First off, I'd suggest you avoid all WPB (laminate,film, etc) technology like the plague; it doesn't work and it never will. Secondly, pick the most breathable options available and check out brands like KEEN and OBOZ that offer wide width shoes. Lastly, get a pair of Wiggys Lamilite socks to manage the moisture your feet will inevitably generate and don't worry too much about outside moisture. Wear the socks as instructed, by themselves with no liners and no outer socks. I know it's counter intuitive - but it works.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSummer/Winter FootwearSummer/Winter Footwear