Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSkiing- FT 88Skiing- FT 88
Previous

Next
New Post
2/17/2019 6:36 AM

Hello, this is my first post on the forum.  I found this site searching for information about skiing with mountaineering boots.

I've looked around a bit and I like the overall approach of the people here for 'backcountry travel'.  Most places you look, it's either "how many ounces is your overnight bag?" or "how many bullets can you carry?" or "let's see how many different wood-cutting tools we can carry in a canvas and leather pack!"  The focus on function and efficiency here is refreshing.  

For my own purposes, I arrived at the idea of skiing in my mountaineering boots as a way to keep gear to a minimum in cost and quantity while maximizing function.  I've used an old set of Swiss skis and FT 88s with my Lowa Civettas at Cross country areas, downhill resorts (easy runs),  and a couple of other excursions.  I'm looking to expand on that and ski more.

Now I've bought a set of skis and skins that I think will function much better for my purpose, and I want to transfer the old bindings to the new skis.

As far as I can tell, the majority of the users of FT88 bindings are users of this forum!  Does anyone have a template?  Any advice for mounting this particular binding?  What about maintenance (I've never done anything to these)?  

Any help is appreciated!

New Post
2/19/2019 4:53 PM

We do have a paper template, but I think you could make a better template if you're willing to sacrifice the old skis. Remove the bindings then drill the screw holes all the way through. Now you've got a nice hard template. If you're on our Facebook owner's group, ask the question there. Casey just mounted a set on a pair of skis. I think he said he used wood glue.

I haven't done any binding mounting, but my understanding is that the construction of the ski that you're putting the bindings on really affects whether you should use wood glue or epoxy or nothing. Look for binding mounting instructions specific to that ski and see if they have anything to say about that aspect of it.

The other big thing is that you need to figure out where you want the bindings mounted fore to aft. That will affect ski performance quite a bit. Depending on what kind of ski you have, it may have a "pin line" marker that will help you figure out where it's supposed to be balanced. Too far back and the skis won't naturally want to float up when you're breaking trail. Too far forward and balance is compromised.

Haven't ever done any maintenance. As you can see, the construction is pretty straightforward. Maybe some graphite lube in places.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
2/19/2019 5:41 PM

Thanks for the response. I did go ahead and mount them. I didn't want to trash the old skis completely, so I made an etching of the holes to create my own template. I also found a great tool for finding the skis centerline on slidewright.com.
The skis are Alpine touring style so they have a "boot center mark" which I confirmed with the maker.

Thanks for all the tips, it is appreciated.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSkiing- FT 88Skiing- FT 88