Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsVehicle Mobilit...Vehicle Mobilit...Test drove a Gladiator Rubicon yesterday Test drove a Gladiator Rubicon yesterday
Previous

Next
New Post
7/21/2019 11:16 AM

Wife, 2.5y/o twins and I went to look at a Jeep TJ yesterday. This would be an “extra” vehicle for us.  We sold a 4 seat RZR last week that just did not fit our needs. I have had 4wd vehicles for 26 yrs, I enjoy slow speed and scenery now. 

We thought a TJ would be great for our wants, my wife is 5’2” and did not not do well getting the kids strapped in. While talking to the salesman, who was actually very accommodating my wife says “that looks really nice”. They had a Gladiator Rubicon sitting in the showroom. I had sold a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited when we learned of our twins. (I’ve missed it ever since). We ended up test driving it and both loved it. I currently drive a 2017 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Cummins and we have a 35’ toy hauler. 

We own both of our vehicle and the camper. We are going to look at a smaller camper tomorrow that we could tow with the Gladiator. 

We are planning a trip to Ouray, Grand Junction and Moab  next year and would like to make an annual trip out of it. 

Anyone on here have a Gladiator?  I am ok with downsizing both the truck and camper. I will need to buy some of the fancy mobility pouches if we buy it. 

New Post
7/22/2019 4:03 PM

Did they up towing capacity with the new engine? You can technically tow a small camp trailer with the older engine but it sure is a chore! Not sure that a trailer that is livable for 4 can be towed by a JL / TJ...

Every time I pass folks in a RZR and the weather is anything but perfect, I'm happy for the ability to roll up the windows and turn on the air conditioning or heating as the case may be. Also happy that when I get back to pavement the only transition I have to make is taking it out of 4wd -- no loading up a trailer, no gear to transfer from one place to another, no clothing change, etc.

On the Toy Hauler, just took a trip out to the west coast and back with the camp trailer. Every time I pulled into a tight parking lot or backed the trailer into a tight camp spot to spend the night in I was happy I've only got an 18' camp trailer. I think it's about the biggest size that you can park in your average forest service campground -- and I've got it sleeping 7 folks (2 of whom are thankfully short enough to sleep on the converted dinette or it wouldn't work).

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/22/2019 7:12 PM

The Gladiator can tow 7600#. We really liked it, but need to figure some stuff out. I am looking at a career change that will also change my schedule from 24hr shifts to 12hr shifts. I really like my truck and the camper is great for the kids. I would love to go with a truck bed camper but the wife is not interested. The truck might just get upgraded with a small lift, 37” tires and 4.30 gears. It makes it hard to part with things that are payed off.

New Post
7/23/2019 2:58 PM

That's a HUGE upgrade in tow capacity over the Wranglers... and over even the compact Toyotas. Very interesting. The Gladiator isn't just a Wrangler with a pickup bed on it. It's more than that.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/23/2019 4:27 PM

Yes it is. The Rubicon gets you lockers and 4:1 tcase. They have a max tow ($995) for the sport that gets you a front Dana 44 and 7650# towing.  Our dilemma is we own a 2015 Ford Escape with 27,000 miles, 2017 Ram Mega Cab Cummins with 24,000 miles and our 2018 35’ toy hauler. With no payments, the Gladiator would be great, but I really don’t want to lay out cash. 

New Post
8/7/2019 5:13 PM

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the Gladiator. I just started looking into one to downsize from my '07 Tundra. My use is more for tent camping and hauling lumber/furniture/etc rather than towing. Not sure whether I'd miss the larger bed on the Tundra.

Random question: how much room is there between the rear seat and the window on the Gladiator? There's not much space behind the Tundra seat which is becoming an issue for raising the shoulder harness on my son's carseat to the highest position.

New Post
8/8/2019 3:50 AM

I don’t think they have a lot. They do have good under rear seat storage. The decked storage for the bed would be a great setup. I worked part time for a vehicle upfitter and installed a few in larger pickups.
I owned a 2006 crew cab short bed Tacoma for 8yrs. The bed would not be horrible to me.
A big part of me would love to make the purchase.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsVehicle Mobilit...Vehicle Mobilit...Test drove a Gladiator Rubicon yesterday Test drove a Gladiator Rubicon yesterday